General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #31  
Pawmother

I agree and I'm an e-book fan myself. It's easier to carry around ten books on an ipad than having to fit one into a luggage.

I know myself, a fast reader. And a traveller. For me, ebook readers are the best invention so far.
LucreziaBorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 246/207/179

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post

As an aside I LOVE the Kindle Paperwhite.

I'd say only get the Paperwhite if you go for Kindle though. The light is the best feature.
ITA. I got one for Christmas and I am reading more than I have for a while. Two of the books I am reading right now are on the Kindle - one Amazon Prime and the other from my library.
sparks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #33  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

I LOVE my Kindle Paperwhite! I had a first generation Kindle and absolutely LOVED having my entire library with me wherever I go. I am reading anywhere from 3-5 different books at any given time, it was awesome not to have to worry about which book should I take with me, now I have them all with me all the time.

I bought myself the Paperwhite for my birthday last fall. I can't believe how much better it is! Now I can read in bed without my book light keeping my hubs awake - the screen is plenty lit for me to read without hurting my eyes, but dim enough that it doesn't light up the room.

Back on topic - I'm currently finishing up September by Rosamunde Pilcher and just recently downloaded Moms Who Drink and Swear for my vacation beach read in a couple weeks.
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #34  

Location: Houston, Tx, but Missouri in the summer on the lake.

S/C/G: 150/148/125

Height: 5' 2"

Oh I love her blog and facebook posts. Can't wait to hear if her book is any good. I mean how can she make a whole book out of that topic. (Moms who drink and swear) I am currently reading a new Marian Keyes book on my kindle and saving 3 books from my favorite authors for my California Vacation in 3 weeks. I actually purchased the books, because I have trouble reading my kindle in the sun.
Mama Whitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chahma View Post
Recently finished "And the Mountains Echoed" by Khaled Hosseini.

Currently reading "Maya's Notebook" by Isabelle Allende. It's an interesting read, not really along the lines of Allende's typical late 1800s Spanish style writing, but I'll finish it.

Up next: "Together Tea" by Marjan Kamali.

Looking for a good detective/mystery series to begin.
How was And the Mountains Echoed? That one is on my query list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
Yes. They turned into the going to sleep too late kind of books.

As an aside I LOVE the Kindle Paperwhite. I have some friends that are like no no books are the only thing I will ever use.

Hogwash. I love books just as much as they do. They were a huge part of my life and still are. And ereaders are Awesome. Boomarks, light, a whole library that will fill two rooms in the palm of my hand. Easy to find any book. And the booklight of the lastest gen were the final bit of incredbileness.

I read about 4 times more having bought an ereader. Love, love, love em.

You are still reading a book. Did anyone somehow stop listening to music when cassets replaced records, and CDs replaced them. and MP3s replaced them? No.

Sorry for a bit off topic on what book we are reading. It just made me think of friends not using ereaders since I got Mockingjay and the other two on my Kindle. But I just cringe when my book loving friends wont even try ereaders. I was that way for a bit. And they were super expensive. But not as much now. Must have for book lovers I say. I'd say only get the Paperwhite if you go for Kindle though. The light is the best feature.
LOVE my Kindle! I started with the paperwhite, but upgraded to the Fire and love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Whitty View Post
Oh I love her blog and facebook posts. Can't wait to hear if her book is any good. I mean how can she make a whole book out of that topic. (Moms who drink and swear) I am currently reading a new Marian Keyes book on my kindle and saving 3 books from my favorite authors for my California Vacation in 3 weeks. I actually purchased the books, because I have trouble reading my kindle in the sun.
I find any kind of electronic equipment difficult to see in the sun, but the paperwhite was the worst. It's almost like the words on the "page" burnt into the screen so when you turned the page everything was unreadable.

I'm reading The Mill River Recluse. It's a nice story although really predictable.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I love my ereaders too for all the reasons mentioned but also they save so many trees.
Books on them are far less expensive. About half the members of my book club won't use them saying they need the feel of the actual book in their hand which I don't get. Then when it's time to chose a new book for the club it's always an issue if someone picks something resent because new releases and often hard covered and expensive if you have to buy the actual book.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #37  
Pawmother

Oh and ebooks are cheaper. And you can find ebooks easily, while you would have to search in different bookstores for a book you cannot find. I had to find this really old book for a project and people had stopped printing them. Found it as an ebook.
LucreziaBorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #38  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Im reading Take It Like A Man by Boy George
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #39  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I am not a fan of ebooks/nooks or any of those things...I want a book in hand. I am very saddened by the recent news of Barnes & Noble and I do hope they don't close! We've already lost all the other book stores here and there are NO music stores which is sad. I am all for technology but it is killing things!

Anyway, after finishing Freeman I went back to Blood Meridian (been working on it for quite a while, sort of. Haven't really been able to get into it) and also NYPD Red by James Patterson.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #40  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

Sunday morning when I read online that JK Rowling wrote a new book under a pen name, I immediately downloaded it - "The Cuckoo's Calling" by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling).

It's a great book so far. She is an amazing writer, but don't be mistaken, this is not Harry Potter, fantasy, or a children's book. It's a crime/mystery novel, and it's probably one of the best written I've read in the genre.
SuperHeroTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I just finished NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. I really enjoyed it. Tonight I'm planning on starting Inferno by Dan Brown.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 190/140

Height: 5'1

I just read the in death series by J D robb aka Nora Roberts. I am a fast reader but it was read at the end of June and just finished the most recent today!

I LOVE my kindle....but still like to hold a book in my hand...as a matter of fact...the in death series was all books!
KYgirlinSC is offline   Reply With Quote