General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/150

Height: 5' 6"

Default Getting fired for being too good at your job?!

This is so strange. I have this family member who is a lawyer in SoCal. He got his first job four years ago at a small firm and developed a great relationship with his boss. He felt appreciated and had many responsibilities. Today though he was called in and fired. He says he thinks his boss felt threatened by him. Professionally. Is there such a thing as being too good at your job? Why would someone get fired for doing everything and then some? Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Joil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think people get fired for all sorts of reasons, and the reasons are not always what we're told, or what they seem to be, or even what we think they are, and that even the person doing the firing may not understand the "real" motivation for their decision.

Often the "reasons" are never known. My husband once lost a job, he believed because he refused to fire a person based on an illegal reason (he was an HR assistant) and because of the time he took off to take me to dr appts (in theory protected by FLMA) The reason they gave was for poor performance, even though he never had a single performance review that wasn't in the high excellent range prior to the eval they used to fire him, after giving him a project to do and then not giving him the time or resources to do it.

We later learned the plant moved to Mexico, and if hubby had been fired even a couple months after he was, he would have been eligible for an enormous severance package.

Your family member may never know why he was fired.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-31-2013 at 01:12 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #3  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

This used to happen in labor unions all the time. Sometimes outshining the rest of the team can get you fired, or even worse.

Friend of the family some time ago told me a story about an ironworkers union. A new guy came in and was your normal new guy - fast, energetic, motivated etc. The older union workers didn't like how bad he was making them look so they threatened him to slow down. When he still didn't, they broke his arm. True story.

Sad. Very sad indeed.

Last edited by Vex; 05-31-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #4  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I've seen people get fired so a company can hire back old employees. Like Kaplods said, you may never know the reason.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

Totally, if the boss was failing in some way and he thought the higher ups might be able to replace him with someone competent from within the company it would be better to get rid of the competition.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #6  

I can definitely see this happening - it probably happens very often.

I had a coworker who was friends with the owner of the business and she got fired because she was rude, but she said it was because the owner was trying to find things to fire her for because they had fallen out.
ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #7  
Jenn

S/C/G: 113/85/75

Not fired, but my current boss thinks that I want to undermine her in her job so she is doing her best to ensure that I cannot do the work I am meant to.

She runs almost entirely on emotional responses including a need to be liked as the main basis of her managment style. So it makes it hard to get it through to her that she is not under threat from me.

Though that may change in the future if she keeps this up.

There are times when a person can be fantastic in the work that they do, but the organisation changes around them and no longer needs that expertise. That can be a difficult one for both parties to handle. Alternatively he may just be too expensive in comparison with others who are newer to the profession.
Electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #8  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLib View Post
Totally, if the boss was failing in some way and he thought the higher ups might be able to replace him with someone competent from within the company it would be better to get rid of the competition.
^This. It's a dog eat dog world.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #9  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Hopefully, your lawyer friend has copies of his evaluations so that at any future interviews, they can pull them out if need be. Most of the time, employers will see the word FIRED and not look further. So it's a catch twenty two. It's possible your lawyer friend can sue the firm for wrongful termination.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 287/275/160

Ha I got fired for doing my job right. I took care of special needs children and their mother was upset that the children liked me better. When you spend all day sleeping, on the computer, or in bed with various men your children will develop a distaste for you. Exspecially if you constantly push them away because they are "annoying"
pixie3208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

One never knows what is going on behind the scenes. Sounds like they may have a relative or former worker they want to place. Hopefully he kept records of his evaluations.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote