General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-13-2013, 03:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Moving... ARGH

We rent a townhouse and the owners are coming back to live in it on July 22nd. We found out last Thursday and have looked at 3 potential places since. The 3rd place was a pretty good match, so we put down a deposit because stuff goes fast around here. Ugh, I hate moving!!!

First of all, I keep feeling like we made a decision about the new place too quickly. But I am sure if we didn't put a deposit down yesterday, it would be rented by today. So I'm actually still looking and will eat the deposit if I have to.

I am bummed that the lastest move in date was May 31 and we need to give 30 days notice so we will have 10 days of overlap and will pay rent on both of the places for 1/3 month

I have to pack this house?! Ugh. My husband would rather have the movers pack it all, so he doesn't help, but I like to go through everything and donate/give away/toss stuff we don't need to bring with us to the next place. I know I'm taking it on myself, but still, it's so overwhelming and we are targetting a June 1 move in. So 3 weeks from yesterday

Well, that's all the ranting I have for now. I'm sure there will be more shortly. Today I packed most of the games and movies. Tomorrow I'm going to try to pack the sewing things. I'm working on stuff seldom used first and the clothes and kitchen will be later. The garage is an absolute nightmare that I don't want the think about.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:52 AM   #2  
sugar is the devil

I'm not 100% sure on legality with renters/tenants - but did your landlords terminate your lease by telling you they are moving back in July 22 (if you are on a yearly contract... not month-to-month)? That's only 2 1/2 months notice and my understanding was that they needed to give you 3 months notice. Just food for thought. Do you still need to give 30 days notice in that case? Maybe you could look for a place with July 1 move in date so you wouldn't have to pay extra rent at a place you don't even live at.

Last edited by SweetScrumptious; 05-13-2013 at 03:53 AM.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: RS:164/130/130

Height: 5'3

ugh, that sucks for you I know how stressful houses/apartments etc can be. Hugs!

On the bright side, you get to have a really good clear out! I love those, feel really rejuvenated by getting rid of old stuff that I no longer need (and it's a perfect excuse to buy more things!)

Hope you enjoy your new place!
Leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:17 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetScrumptious View Post
I'm not 100% sure on legality with renters/tenants - but did your landlords terminate your lease by telling you they are moving back in July 22 (if you are on a yearly contract... not month-to-month)? That's only 2 1/2 months notice and my understanding was that they needed to give you 3 months notice. Just food for thought. Do you still need to give 30 days notice in that case? Maybe you could look for a place with July 1 move in date so you wouldn't have to pay extra rent at a place you don't even live at.
We are on month-to-month and they gave us all the notice they could. I did ask the landlord if, considering our excellent tenancy, they would allow us to give less notice and avoid paying rent on 2 places longer than we had to. I don't expect him to say yes.

We don't want to keep looking because we are worried that we won't find a better place than this one. It's worth the crappy double rent situation to have a place we know we'd like.

Last edited by Underwater; 05-13-2013 at 04:18 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:19 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaves View Post
ugh, that sucks for you I know how stressful houses/apartments etc can be. Hugs!

On the bright side, you get to have a really good clear out! I love those, feel really rejuvenated by getting rid of old stuff that I no longer need (and it's a perfect excuse to buy more things!)

Hope you enjoy your new place!
Thanks. I'm hoping to get rid of as much as possible!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #6  
sugar is the devil

That's fair enough. Hope everything goes in your favor.

I moved back in December and I still have a box of knick-knacks in my room to unpack. And I have a few bags in the storage to unpack as well. Bah
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I feel your pain. I am moving later this month from IL to ME, and it's the most complicated move I've ever done. We're selling our house, but are emptying it out before we list it to make painting and showing it easier. We can't buy a new house until we sell this one, so I had to find a short term apartment IN ME that takes dogs. So that means most of our stuff goes into storage until we find a house. Finally, the move is happening before I can leave my job, so we have to stay in an extended stay hotel for 2 1/2 weeks.

Talk about overlap... for the 1st 2 weeks of June we will be paying our mortgage, rent on the short term lease, rent for the storage unit AND the hotel.

We are having movers pack us up, but the hard part is figuring what we need before our stuff comes out of storage for 3-?? months...

Good luck with your move!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #8  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

That stinks. My landlord is moving in to my apartment in August/September and neither my roommate nor I want to live with him, so we're hunting...we have the best deal in town currently and we love the apartment, so it sucks extra to have to leave.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Moving is always a bit of a stressor, especially when doing it yourself. But the way to think of it, in my opinion, is you're getting a fresh start. New surroundings, new routes to work/school, new scenery, new living room and bedroom layout. Try to think of the positive things and when its all said and done, it's feels great.

Just weight for that "ahhhh" moment of sitting on the couch when the last item is unpacked.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote