General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #16  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydegirl View Post
You can buy earplugs in Wal-Mart, very cheap.

I use them every night.
I have a friend who is going to give me a pair to try to see if I can handle having them in my ears (I'm quirky little duckling ).
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #17  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydegirl View Post
You can buy earplugs in Wal-Mart, very cheap.

I use them every night.
My boyfriend was complaining that they were hurting after a while. Did you experienced that?
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
Be happy he's there to snore. I lost my husband in November. I miss his snoring.

Very sorry to hear this.

Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMissy View Post
Oh.My.Goodness!!!!

I'm so close to putting him in the garage at night! I need suggestions of what others have done...please!I.Need.Sleep!

Any chance of an evaluation at a sleep clinic? If possible, this could be a lifesaver (for both of you!).

Last edited by Mountain Mamma; 04-17-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #20  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMammoth View Post
My boyfriend was complaining that they were hurting after a while. Did you experienced that?
No I've not had any pain from using them. They are very soft.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #21  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

My wife used to use the wax variety of ear plugs. They are form fitting, so work VERY well. However, one night she noticed that in addition to snoring, I actually stopped breathing for over 30 seconds at a time, and then I suddenly took a deep breath. I went for a sleep study and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I have been on a CPAP machine for 10 years now. I have not snored since getting it. I have the type that fits over the nose, but not mouth.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #22  

S/C/G: HW:280 CW:? GW:150

Height: 5 foot 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMissy View Post
My guy snores on his stomach, sides, back...any and every position! And yes, just as bad
Oh my gosh am I glad to know someone elses hubby does that too. SOOOO annoying!!! There have been nights where I have thought of muffling his snoring with a strategically placed pillow over his face, but only when I am completely exhausted, lol.
tubolard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #23  

S/C/G: HW:280 CW:? GW:150

Height: 5 foot 5

Quote:
Be happy he's there to snore. I lost my husband in November. I miss his snoring.
Oh i am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the pain you must still be feeling.
tubolard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #24  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

As a snorer, and one that has had a sleep test and no apnea found, can I make an appeal to the ladies please? Do not prod or surprise/wake your husband when he is sleeping and snoring. This is very unpleasant and down right frightening to be woken up like this. Simply gently stroke him and whisper he is snoring and to turn on his side. He will turn and the snoring will stop and you will not wake him from his delicate slumber.

Last edited by IanG; 04-17-2013 at 09:34 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

My husband snores and so do I. It got so bad that neither of us was getting any sleep. We finally ended up in separate bedrooms. It's much better now.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
As a snorer, and one that has had a sleep test and no apnea found, can I make an appeal to the ladies please? Do not prod or surprise/wake your husband when he is sleeping and snoring. This is very unpleasant and down right frightening to be woken up like this. Simply gently stroke him and whisper he is snoring and to turn on his side. He will turn and the snoring will stop and you will not wake him from his delicate slumber.
Idk, my boyfriend always tells me to punch him when he snores lol. Not that I literally do, but he sleeps so deeply he requires more of a firm shake to actually make any effect.

My bf snores almost every night, luckily only when he's on his back. I can usually tell him to roll over and it stops, at least until I have time to fall asleep. The problem is I'm a really light sleeper, so just about anything will keep me from sleeping. I've been wanting to try earplugs, but I'm afraid i won't hear my alarm...is this something I should worry about? One thing that has kind of worked is getting a sound machine. We fall asleep to the ocean every night and a lot of times it is enough to drown out any noises.
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #27  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Have to add that not everyone stops snoring when put on their side, so getting the snorer on their back is not always 'the' solution for everyone.

regarding not hearing the alarm - well it does wake me eventually, but at that point DH has been woken by it and will wake me to tell me to turn it off so that might be an issue if you don't have someone else in the room.

I use either the "Pretty in Pink" soft foam earplugs, available at the drugstore, and come with a nifty storage case; or I take them from the industrial size container I keep next to my bed, Flents' "Quiet Please" brand from a hardware store

those are more firm and do create an almost unpleasant sense of pressure in my ears, but work well. Looking at the package, they are rated 29. "The range of noise reduction ratings for existing hearing protectors is approximately 0 to 30 (higher numbers denote greater effectiveness" .

Quote:
I am so sorry I do admit that many times when I lay there, getting very aggravated, I tell myself 'and how would you feel if he just stopped breathing forever' and that snaps me back to trying to put it in perspective. I hope you are coping with everything ((hugs))

Last edited by VermontMom; 04-18-2013 at 08:23 AM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #28  
There I am!

S/C/G: 279/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

PureSleep! My husband was a horrible snorer.....I wore earplugs every night, but they really started bothering my ears. To me they got painful.

He saw the PureSleep advertised and thought he'd give it a try and we are sooo glad he did. It's a mouthpiece that you form to fit your mouth. I never hear a peep out of him now. The only time I do is maybe when it slips out of his mouth on occasion but that's rarely. It was a lifesaver. I sound like a darn commercial!

Seriously, though, check it out.
thnknthin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #29  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I wasn't able to get the ear plugs last night so I slept in the guest room. Despite still being tired today, I was able to sleep the whole night through...it was lovely!

It doesn't look like I'll be able to get the ear plugs from my friend tonight and had thought about stopping at the the store, but I never even thought about not hearing the alarm! He's such a heavy sleeper I've had to wake him up when his alarm was going off. I can't rely on him to hear mine.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #30  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

I confess, I am a fellow snorer.

I think I always snored. Once when I was little, my parents and I were staying in a hotel room and they couldn't sleep because of my snoring! My Mom put one of her hair curlers with the jagged edges in the middle under my back, it didn't do much. When I was heavier my family was very concerned because my snores were so loud. I have had three or four sleep studies and they have come back with hypopneas, which means decreased breathing, and they noticed I move my limbs a lot, but we knew that already. Sleep studies are not the most pleasant in my opinion because of all the electrodes but they are usually done at places where there is a nice room and bed similar to a motel room.

When I was with my ex-boyfriend, I noticed that he would snore. Ian, I tried things similar to what you suggest, by stroking him and whispering to him that he was snoring. He may have stopped snoring for a few minutes but then went right back to it so I resorted to the couch!

A relative of mine has sleep apnea and I am glad that he got his sleeping under control. He says now that with his breathing apparatus that he uses at night, he hasn't had such good quality of sleep in years!

To The Wanderer, I am so sorry for your loss. God bless.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote