General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Have you applied at any private schools ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #2  
Dropweight Diva

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Most likely going to lose my job...

Or have my hours cut back to such a point that I don't think I would be able to make it independently. I got my letter from the school board saying that my superintendent is "advising that [my] contract not be renewed for the 2013-2014 school year." All part-time teachers, non-tenured teachers, aids, elementary PE, art, and music teachers got the same letter, but luckily, I think a lot do not have very much to worry about. I have been told that I do, or at least that my hours will be cut so far back so they will not have to begin to pay me insurance. I already struggle. No pay on snow days (I lost close to 800 dollars in February) and regularly scheduled vacation days for students. I have not gotten a full paycheck since my first one, and if my hours are cut back, I just don't know.

There was a job opening in another county a friend was going to apply for: 85 applicants and filled in a week. Another teacher friend has gotten a job in three different counties, just to be given his rtf letter three different times. He got one this time as well. There is currently one single opening for an English teacher within a 2 hour drive of everywhere around me.

I guess it's time to look elsewhere other than education, but my heart really breaks because of that. I have a job for the summer, but it is only temporary. I'm just really worried about what I am going to be able to do next year. I have a wonderful DBF with a very steady state job, but we're not married (will probably be in the next year, however), and I would feel a little strange having to rely on him heavily.

I was really hoping for a full-time position next year with INSURANCE, because currently I am already having to pick up English classes on top of the other program that I run (for no extra money) because they refused to hire another full-time English teacher. The school didn't have enough physical room in the classroom nor desks for the amount of students crammed into their English classes this year. I was told the day before school started that I would additionally be teaching these classes, and I have worked SO FREAKIN' HARD. I just thought I might have a chance at a full-time position. My DBF says he has no problem eloping me so I can have insurance. Not the most romantic reason for a marriage.

Anyway, I just had to vent. I know a lot can happen from this time to next school year, but I am really discouraged. The job market in education, like all places, is not great, and honestly, I'm just scared by all the future unknowns.

Last edited by Song of Surly; 04-16-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Song of Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #3  
Dropweight Diva

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Have you applied at any private schools ?
I am looking. I live in a rural, very poor area of Appalachia. The private schools are very far and few between and most are run out of churches. I personally would not mind to teach at such a school, but I am not "religious," and I do worry that my living out of wedlock with my DBF would be an issue if it ever came up/they found out. I don't know enough about these environments to know if this would be an issue, or would just be considered "my business."

Last edited by Song of Surly; 04-16-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Song of Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Hugs

Atlanta had a huge teacher lay off a few years back, it wasn't pretty. My best advice is to look "outside the box".

Good luck!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/172.8/125

Just remember to keep your head up Everything has a way of figuring itself out, and YOU WILL BE OK ! I wish I had some better advice, but who knows, when one door closes, another one opens, and you never know where that might bring you
thegoodvegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #6  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I know up here that the state Dept of Education even sometimes asks for teaching credentials for positions that are open...I don't know about down there, but could you branch out to the Dept of Education, Health and Social Services, tribal education services or other various agencies that work with families and children
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #7  

I'm so sorry to read your post, Song of Surly. I know it's hard when we are going through these things but most times they lead us to bigger and better things. Sending positive vibes your way.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have a friend who was in a similar situation and did lose her job. She survived by tutoring and substitute teaching. She eventually found another job and is happy in her new position. She did have a year of uncertainity though.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Wow. I feel your pain.

In 2011, I got my pink slip as our company was cutting back hours. Like you, I was unmarried. I was engaged however. And my soon to be hubby made enough to support both of us...both how could I give up my identity? I mean, when you go through life, owning your own way, it is HARD to give that up. My last day of employment was five days before our wedding, so we didn't have to question eloping...but we both are in agreement, we would have if need be....not tell anyone....then have our scheduled wedding as normal, with no one the wiser, execpt us, a witness, and the magistrate. I mean, health care is PRICEY! Maybe not romantic, but logical. And we could still have the fairytale wedding.

It was HARD knowing I would have to rely on him to become the breadwinner. I mean, I brought pennies home compared to his dollars, but I still contributed in a very large way. Suddenly, I was unemployed...but sometimes, life has a funny way of turing around.

Two days after we got back from our honeymoon, I was called to come in for an interview with a local non-profit. I landed the job that day...surprisingly, considering I had never worked in non-profit and had NO A/P experience. Almost two years later, I still bring in pennies compared to his dollars, but I work less hours than previously, bring in slightly more money (like $500 annually), can help raise our daughter, and am in a job I FREAKING LOVE!

Sometimes, you just need to take life by the skirttails, hang on, and see where the ride goes.

Been there. Done that. Know your pain. It WILL get better. Have faith.

Last edited by zoesmom; 04-17-2013 at 11:59 AM.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote