General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

Default A random thought about where to donate old plus sized clothes

I know many of you probably donate your old clothes to places like Good Will. And that is great - it is a great organization - they provide jobs and other programs and someone else who is plus sized gets the benefit of cheap gently used clothing. I totally support that!

I just thought I'd suggest another option - seeing if a local shelter or psychiatric hospital could use clothing donations.

I used to work in a psychiatric hospital in New York City and there was a great need for women's plus size clothing. A lot of medicine for schizophrenia and other related disorders tend to make people gain weight. As a result of the meds combined with poor nutrition, there are a lot of plus size people in the psychiatric hospitals and shelter systems of New York. I would guess that is the case universally. And many of them don't have adequate or properly fitting clothes. Bras were another huge issue I noticed - I often saw women inappropriately small bras or no bra at all in the psychiatric wards simply because they couldn't find large enough bras in the donation piles (the patients usually came in from the streets - so they had little or none of their own clothes). At one time, I actually had a women come up to me and ask if I had any old bras she could have (I did and I brought them to her). So consider looking into seeing if local shelters or hospitals may need your clothes! You really could directly enhance the quality of someone's life!
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:13 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

Great idea! I always give our donations to the local homeless shelter. They run a thrift store out of the donations they cannot immediately use. When a new person arrives at the shelter, they let them pick new clothes out of their store.
IAmTheGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #3  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I would have never thought about that. I love that idea!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/209/190

Height: 6'1

I think I will take mine to a Goodwill when the time comes. Will Goodwill give you a tax credit with the clothes that you give them? I'm going to have hundreds of shirts and jeans that I will be taking them. lol
LadyP2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/135/125

Height: 5'5"

What a wonderful idea

LadyP2013 - I understand how helpful the tax credit is for Goodwill. Maybe you could split it? I know our Goodwill gives us the same piece of paper regardless of what/how much we donate.
thepapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #6  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Great idea!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #7  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Wink

Lady P,

Yes, Goodwill will give you a tax reduction slip if you like. It is up to you to fill out the estimated value of your items but the employee who accepts your items should ask you whether or not you would like the tax deduction slip.

Mandy,

I think that this an awesome post! I have been in hospitals where people have donated their clothing and it is such a blessing! I am sure that women's shelters could use them too.

This is a very nice idea, thank you.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote