General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default When it rains, it pours...

Seriously...

My husband started a new job on Monday. He has been out of work forever and I honestly never thought he would work again (various mental/physical issues). Hooray for us! We REALLY need the money.

We happened to get 9 inches of snow Sunday night so our running vehicle could not get out of the drive (we live in a very rural area). He drove our 4WD truck which was in bad shape. We have not been driving it because we have been waiting to get enough money for repairs. It took him almost 2 hours to get to work that is 40 minutes away.

Anyway, he barely made it to the first day of work, but he got there! That truck is at the repair shop. So, the mechanic calls today. The whole rear end needs rebuilt. It needs at least $3500 in repairs, quite possibly up to 6 grand!! Yeah, we are not made of money. We are poor as church mice right now. The mechanic said he would not even suggest repairing it. He said it would be cheaper to replace it.

So, my husband gets off work tonight and heads to his college class and our other truck has him stranded on the side of the road RIGHT NOW. We have/had 2 cars. Both are dead now.

The silver lining in all of this is I have my Mom. She is a saint. She is on the way to pick up my husband so at least he is not stranded. We have nobody else. His family is a bunch of crack heads (literally) and they only call if they want money.

That is all. Just venting. I am so frustrated right now & so sad. UGH!
IAmTheGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #2  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Serious hugs!!!! I've been in situations where it seemed like the universe hated my existence and decided to crap all over my life. I feel for you.

I always tell my friends when they say "what next?!?!?!?!" to never challenge the universe...you're not going to like it's reply.

I hope things get better!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #3  

So sorry you are going through all this. Just when you think the heck from the universe is over. Make sure you give your mom a big hug when you see her (and your husband too!). Sending you positive vibes for good things to come your way real soon.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #4  

Thanks, guys! We will get through this. We always do. Good news is a tow truck is on the way & my poor hubby's night is close to being over.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I'm so sorry you're dealing with all this! Hopefully some good things will be coming your way soon.
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #6  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Congrats on the new job

Hugs for everything else
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #7  

Thank you penmage & Mozzy!

My Mom loaned him her Jeep to get him home & back to work tomorrow morning. And guess what? He got a flat tire! Geez. I do feel for him. He is still 30 minutes away from home & it's 10:30 here already.

I'm hoping if bad things happen in 3's our 3 bad car things already happened this week & it should be smooth sailing from here on out. *fingers crossed*
Old 03-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

That sounds like an awful day! But you seem like you have such a positive attitude given the circumstances - that is great!
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I think you've used up your Bad Luck Quota for the year now, so you should be good! My goodness.
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #10  

Thanks for all the sympathy & kind words.

Attached to the estimate was a business card. I called the number on it, and that guy offered me $1200 for the truck, sight unseen. We took the written estimate to a family friend last night. Their son (who works for Dodge) looked at our estimate & said they were royally trying to screw us over. He was like "why are they charging you $8.85 a piece for new lugnuts? What happened to the lug nuts that were holding your tires on?" He said parts they were charging us $1200 for can be completely rebuilt for $250!

Brian said he would trade me right then for his truck. He hasn't even seen our truck yet. He said, seriously, we can do a flat trade right now (he had a Cummins Quad Cab Diesel) & he would be getting the better deal. That made me feel better. My husband said I should have taken the deal when I told him later.

We are having it towed to his house on Monday!

I really believe everything will work out for the best. I hope he can fix our truck, but if not, I trust him. I trust that he will not screw us over.

I honestly am wondering if the initial shop, the shop they recommended & the guy who offered to buy it are in cahoots. :? The first guy says "it is beyond me see guy #2", the second guy says "it is too broke to fix see guy #3" and the third guy says "I'll buy it" (for less than the engine is worth apparently- they said our hemi alone is worth $1500 used) & they fix it, sell it & split the profits? Maybe not, but they were definitely trying to screw us over.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #11  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

One thing to remember with repair shops..they will find every single little problem that they can on your vehicle and try to screw you over. And boy, do they get you for labor!

I've been fortunate in having brothers who know cars and can work on them for cheap. Otherwise, I would be screwed myself.

If you don't know anyone who can do repair work, then I would talk to the repair shop and only have one thing repaired that's honestly going to make the vehicle at least work for a while and not cost you an arm and leg in the process.

But if it's truly not fixable, then you need to look into selling it or trading it in for another vehicle.

Is there an alternative option for you guys? Like the bus or walking or something? I know its not popular, but when times get tough, you gotta do what you gotta do. I've been there.

Just give your burdens up to the Lord and trust that he'll see you and your husband through. On a day like this, all you can do is either cry or laugh.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #12  

We live in a very rural area. I mean we have Amish people for neighbours so no buses or anywhere to walk (we only live 12 miles from a town though) . But my mom is going to loan us her Jeep for a few days until we get our little truck back. I hope it is an easy fix. The big truck may take long to figure out what we are going to do but that is okay.

I do have a strong faith in God. Everything will be okay. It is just a matter of time.