General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #1  
Taking it 1lb at a time!

S/C/G: 291/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Default First time back to work since 07...this is gonna hurt

So I finally went out and did it, I got myself a job(again). I haven't had a steady job since 2007 partly because of not being able to find work, but mostly because of health issues related to my weight.

I had some medical issues that made me leave my job, and during my time off I had really packed on the pounds reaching my highest weight ever in just a years time. In 2008 I tried to go back to work and I couldn't do it, like literally couldn't do it. After 3 days my back gave out on me and I had to walk out before I seriously hurt myself. I really want to stress that it was the type of pain where you knew something was seriously wrong like ER worthy, and not just me being "lazy".

Since then Ive slowly come down 50lbs(still have 100 more to go though), and I don't doubt that I can do this job. But I will be standing 10 hours a day and possibly walking around 20miles a day depending on where they stick me. I plan on trying super hard to stick it out through all the aches and pains I know Im going to have because I really want to go back to work. I really need to do this for my mental health.

So I guess what Im posting this for is a request to send your prayers and positive energy my way as I transition back into the working world, and that it doesn't take me too long to break it in.
CocoTruffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Congrats and good luck!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #3  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Sending you energy...

and also a suggestion to take ibuprofen or your other anti-inflammatory of choice before it starts to hurt--that might make the first days a little easier.

If you'll be on your feet and not used to that, be sure to pick your shoes carefully, and if possible, bring an extra pair so you can swap mid-day--it'll help your feet to have a different pair of shoes with different support (assuming they're both good pairs)

Good luck!
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

The switching shoes advice is a good one! That way if one is putting excess pressure on one part of the foot the other shoes may alleviate that.

Good luck - I will send you energy.

The good news - sounds like your job will be good for your health and weight loss efforts - you will get your exercise while working. You know they say "sitting is the new smoking" - at least as far as health risk! So when you are feeling achy maybe remind yourself that you are actually doing a good thing for your body. I hope it goes okay ... I will be thinking of you. And remember, your body is stronger than you think. It may take a week or so to get acclimated but after that, I bet it will be smooth sailing!
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethFromDayton View Post
Sending you energy...

and also a suggestion to take ibuprofen or your other anti-inflammatory of choice before it starts to hurt--that might make the first days a little easier.

If you'll be on your feet and not used to that, be sure to pick your shoes carefully, and if possible, bring an extra pair so you can swap mid-day--it'll help your feet to have a different pair of shoes with different support (assuming they're both good pairs)

Good luck!
Everything Beth said!! Good luck with your new job, sending positive vibes and best wishes for your success!!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Good luck! Good shoes are a must if you're going to be standing/walking that much.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #7  
Taking it 1lb at a time!

@beth - Yes I am defiantly taking some ibuprofen with me, and I went out a bought decent pair of new shoes last week and have been breaking them in. Not the $10 shoes you can get at wally world so no worries there.

@mandy - It will defiantly be a lot more exercise then I am giving myself right now that's for sure! Im actually looking forward to the long term stamina benefits and maybe a boost in my weight loss a little as it goes along.

I am pretty much as prepared as its going to get the rest is just sucking it up and pushing through it as it comes.

Thank you everyone it really does mean a lot. I start Wednesday if you all were wondering.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #8  
Taking it 1lb at a time!

Just wanted to let you all know I survived my first week. Got stuck in the job that makes me walk about 20 miles a day. Its been rough but Im still hanging in there. Thank you everyone who kept me in your thoughts this past week.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #9  

Congrats on your new job and surviving the first week! I will be praying for you!
IAmTheGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #10  

Coco good luck in your job look at the bright side the time working will help you with your weight loss since you will be walking a lot
Campana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #11  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

20 miles a day is a lot. At least you don't have to worry about the treadmill anymore.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote