General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Food textures

This is kind of a weird topic, but I was just getting hungry and thinking about lunch. An apple with peanut butter sounded great. Um... maybe not the best choice today with a huge wound in the mouth (molar extraction yesterday).

Made me realize I am so not a soft foods kind of gal. I like nuts, veggies, apples - crunchy foods! And of my favorite junk foods before I gave them up? Potato chips! And ice cream with chocolate covered nuts. Well, and Reeses peanut butter cups - those aren't on the menu despite being soft! :-)

Guess I'll go eat that burek (cheese/egg/phyllo dough) thing I made last night to help me get through the next through days without resorting to breads and pastas for soft foods.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 03-01-2013 at 11:31 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #2  
Make each day count!

S/C/G: 263.5/see ticker/180 for now

Height: 5'8"

My husband and family think I'm crazy (and maybe you will too ), but certain textures repulse me!
1) pickles (love the taste but they squeak on your teeth)
2) oatmeal (like the taste but it's too mooshy/slimy)
Case in point: when I was in nursing school they had us drink something with different amounts of the thickener they use for people who can't swallow correctly. They showed how the actual thickener product doesn't have any taste to it, but it definitely made my brain think the fluids tasted WAY different with it in it.
Anyways, I saw the title of this thread and my brain was immediately filled with all these thoughts so I thought I'd share
mccull83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I definitely get moods for certain textures. And I have aversions to certain textures. Like cottage cheese, can't do it, like the taste, love all other dairy, can't eat cottage cheese. It wasn't until I was well into my 20s that I could eat beans. Things like cooked mushrooms make me gag, and I can't eat scrambled eggs by themselves, has to be like on bread, or with a bite of sausage. Yet I love things like yogurt and mashed potatoes, which are in the squishy family.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The funny thing is in the morning, I can't eat food. I've tried in the past but within a couple hours of waking, the only thing I can stomach are smoothies so I make them or something soft like chia pudding.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I don't like foods that bounce back in the mouth - mushrooms, olives, seafood (fish is OK).

I was uber careful about not presenting those preferences to my older son. What what were the ONLY foods he didn't like? Mushrooms, olives, seafood (oh and potatoes, but for a different reason). And again, it was the texture.

We both like the flavor mushrooms give (like in spaghetti sauce). We just pick out the actual mushroom. We love olive oil, just not the olives and we both love fish, just not seafood (lobster, shrimp, mussels, etc)
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Stewed rhubarb exemplifies the exact texture that makes me gag. Fortunately there aren't too many things with that texture.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

I'm a veeeery textural based eater. I frequently say "I don't like things in my stuff and I don't like stuff in my things." I don't like yogurt with fruit chunks. I can't eat most soups because I gag as soon as I hit a bit that isn't liquid or meat. No nuts in desserts, I like nuts just not in stuff. Anything stringy, I will pick the strings off bananas and if I don't bite through celery all the way and get a string I have to spit it out.

I also like the taste of mushrooms but can't eat them due to texture. I like soft foods for the most part. I don't even like my toast all that crispy (My best friend says I eat warm bread). Generally anything crunchy has to be a vegetable and can't really be in or on anything. No veggies on pizza, sandwiches (Unless it's nothing but veggies), stuff like that.

My little brother also has a bad textural eating issue, except his is with soft foods not crunchy.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8

I'm the opposite - I love mushy food so I love thick soups, mashed anything, etc!
mandypandy2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #9  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I cannot stand the texture of cottage cheese. It makes me gag. The taste is fine but I just can't get it down. Feels like vomit in my mouth.

I also hate having raw celery in foods like chicken salad. I love celery by itself or even cooked in soup (must be completely soft), but I can't stand it mixed in with things.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/265/140

Height: 5'6

I LOVE crunchy foods as well. Though, what I call it is "chunky foods", so it's a bit different. I love food with chunks in them. I'm not a very picky eater to begin with (I think, I'm told otherwise sometimes) but chunky foods are my favorite. I love ice cream with chunks in it, chunky stew, chunky salads, chunky peanut butter, chunky chili, chunky chocolates, etc, etc.

I'm a "chunky" girl.
birdtostone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I don't really have an issue with texture aside from something being slimy. Anything slimy is a no go. It makes me think of alien or squid tentacles.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #12  

I saw your post from yesterday and just wanted to say *hugs* and hope you feel better.

Your mother-in-law sounds like mine in many ways and I can assure you that she will NEVER live in this household, so you get my sincere admiration in that respect. [I started reading a book recommended on 3FC "Will I Ever Be Good Enough? Healing the Daughters of Narcisstic Mothers". I find it very interesting and am amazed at how much applies to my mom and my mother-in-law. I'm only about half way through but I can't wait to read about the part where it explains why they are the way they are (from their own upbringing). My mom has her things I won't ever understand and have carried with me for a good 20 years. But my mother-in-law can be downright selfish, passive aggressive and bossy. I'm finally cutting the cord between my DH and her after finding out her sneaky ways after all this time.] Sorry to go OT, I just felt bad for you dealing with your own dental pain and her being a witch. And the post about her and your undies getting mixed up made me shudder!

Love reading your posts. Take good care of you today.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 169/159/135

Height: 5' 0''

I am a crunchy food person, also.

Cannot touch soup or cottage cheese.

I have 2 adult sons that have never ate a banana in their lives. My late husband and I both loved bananas...our kids would not touch them because of the texture.
irish51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandypandy2246 View Post
I'm the opposite - I love mushy food so I love thick soups, mashed anything, etc!
I am with you! I don't mind crunchy things at all but when I have to have something, it's going to be squishy. Love a good custard, pudding, jello, oatmeal, ice cream, yogurt... I find if the texture is silky enough, a sugar-free, low fat pudding is as decadent as an ice cream sundae to me!

Crunchy things hurt my mouth, scratch my gums or get stuck in my teeth easily and I hate that feeling!

The only texture I really can't stand I won't eat very often is Angel Food Cake. My teeth hurt when I eat that and in a way I can't quite explain...
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #15  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I have a lot of issues with textures, I prefer crunchy foods
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote