3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Securing a gauze pad to underarm without adhesive - any ideas? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/275842-securing-gauze-pad-underarm-without-adhesive-any-ideas.html)

mandypandy2246 02-16-2013 02:02 PM

Securing a gauze pad to underarm without adhesive - any ideas?

Hi all, So from a surgery I had, I have some open wounds in my underarms. I have a special prescription dressing I need to put on them daily, I cover that with gauze, and then I have some sticky fabricy stuff I put on over them. However my arms are getting red from the adhesive, it never fully comes off so my underarms are always sticky and my hair gets caught in it too. I'd like to somehow secure the gauze without sticky tape.

Any ideas? I ordered something called tubular dressing that is like tubular netting - I thought I'd try that but don't have high hopes because I'm not sure it will really cover my underarm.

i tried using that stuff that sticks to itself like they often wrap you with after giving blood but I had a hard time wrapping it.

Any other ideas? A google search didn't provide answers!

Mozzy 02-16-2013 02:05 PM

The only thing that came to mind is wrapping an ace bandage across your chest?

But I'm not sure where your wounds are exactly and if chest wrapping would be comfortable...

mandypandy2246 02-16-2013 02:08 PM

oh thats not a bad idea - it would be right above the boobs. I can try that. The wounds are directly in the crease of my armpit - as if that burst open. :) I'll try anything at this poitn because the adhesive is just irritating the healthy skin too much.

Sheridan 02-16-2013 02:50 PM

Hi,

Could you take a soft T shirt that is snug fit and cut out everything except the arm of the dressing site.(like left is about a fourth of the T shirt with part covering the armpit? Then you could put it on like it was a regular shirt but the snug part where the sleeve meets the arm would hold the dressing in place. I wish I could draw this.

The shirt would need to be snug without being too tight.

If this couldn't work then I would make a covering of cloth and use velcro to secure it.

Good luck-tough place to need a dressing,

If none of this works,try calling the wound center at your local hospital and ask the charge nurse for some ideas. They may have the perfect solution.They keep up on the latest stuff available.

Sheridan

elvislover324 02-16-2013 02:58 PM

Sorry you are dealing with this, it doesn't sound nice at all.

The only helpful hint I have is for the glue from the bandages. I have had so much blood work lately, my arm was gross from the glue and it hurt trying to scrub it off and sometimes I couldn't get it off. Rubbing alcohol takes off the adhesive left behind from band aids, the tape etc.

Just make sure you don't use the alcohol if any of your redness is open sores/cuts, I am sure it would burn burn burn and I don't want that to happen to you.

mandypandy2246 02-16-2013 03:57 PM

Thanks Elvis lover. I also found that vitemin E oil and coconut oil take it off! :)

XLMuffnTop 02-16-2013 11:05 PM

Sorry about your surgery but you've gotten lots of suggestions so far. Hopefully at least one will work out for you. Be glad it's not a wound that has to be packed with gauze though. I had one and thinking about the pain still makes me want to vomit, over two years later!!

Hope it heals up nicely and you're back to normal soon!

mandypandy2246 02-17-2013 02:53 AM

Thanks everyone for your support. I just saw the tshirt advice ... actually thats a great idea!

katrinakit 02-19-2013 05:11 PM

ace wrap. yup :)