General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:41 AM   #1  
Formerly LittleMoonRabbit

S/C/G: 167/maintenance/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Dressing Sexy by Age

Good morning everyone.

I have something I have been thinking about lately, and I want your thoughts on the matter. As I work toward achieving the body that I have always wanted, I find that I am starting to lament over my "lost years." I'm 27 now, and while I recognize that I (hopefully) have a long life ahead of me, I am wishing for my college years, where perhaps I could have pulled off that clingy little mini dress or sexy skirt paired with high heeled boots.

I started to think of what "sexy" looks like at various ages, and how to dress the part. For example, as I approach my 30s, what can I still pull off, and what should be left on the rack? And at what ages do certain pieces start becoming age-inappropriate?

For example, can I still wear a bikini at 30? 40? 50? How about skinny jeans? Tank tops? A low cut dress? High heeled boots?

Does age itself not matter if something can still look good on me?

Ideally, I want to embrace "sexy" my entire life, but do it in a way that doesn't make me look like I am trying to be something/someone I am not.

Thoughts?
PlayingForKeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

The week I turned 30, I thought I had one foot in the grave.. I am 62 now, in the "obese" category and .... (I'm told) I still have it going on !
I know people who are near 70 ( yes, 70 !) and still look really attractive. I think it is all in the way you carry yourself....your attitude.... some people never get "old" or frumpy. I think the trick at any age, is to choose simple lines, in colors that are good for you... easy on the jewelry and the makeup, not too clingy... a touch of glamour and.... play up ALL the good features.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/249/125

Height: 5'3 ish

As long as you stay classy and it looks good then wear it! I'm 28 and absolutely plan on rocking a sexy dress and high heeled boots when I get to your size. Its your life, your body and your choice rock what makes you happy

P.s 27 is still young, your only as old as you allow yourself to be.
Thinforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #4  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I'm 30, I wear what I want. Perhaps my taste is no longer in the teen mind set, but I don't put any limitations on my clothing. I'm a wife, a mom, and a teacher, so I don't wear anything with my boobs or booty hanging out (maybe I would though on a special date or something, well not my booty). I still shop in the juniors section sometimes, and I wear high heels and knee high boots.

27? Psshhhhhh, wear what you want!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I think at any age there is trashy sexy and sophisticated sexy. When you are 20 something and going out dancing and the bar scene, trashy sexy has it's place, I guess, but there are tons of ways to look very sexy, yet still classy.

Form fitting, high heels, nicely cut clothes can be very sexy without it being "all in your face". Plus, that kind of sexy, the subtle sexy is more alluring, in my opinion. It says more about you as a person - that you have taste. That you know you "got it" but you don't need to have it all out there to show it.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #6  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

I agree with berryblonde - there is a difference between classy sexy and plain trashy.

I'm in my mid 40's and I continuously telling my DH that there are some things that I simply shouldn't (not can't) wear because of my age ...

Keep in mind, I think I'm a pretty sexy 44 year old so I still do wear the tanks, skinny jeans, high heels, but I wear them "appropriately" - and I still wear bikini's!

At 27 - I would imagine you can pull anything off, as long as it's appropriate to the place and time (no mini's and thigh highs at a wedding!) and you fit in it well (no hang overs and no butt floss showing!).

I think you can be sexy at any age, it's about showing off your "assets" appropriately and in a tasteful manner ...
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #7  
under construction

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
I think at any age there is trashy sexy and sophisticated sexy. When you are 20 something and going out dancing and the bar scene, trashy sexy has it's place, I guess, but there are tons of ways to look very sexy, yet still classy.

Form fitting, high heels, nicely cut clothes can be very sexy without it being "all in your face". Plus, that kind of sexy, the subtle sexy is more alluring, in my opinion. It says more about you as a person - that you have taste. That you know you "got it" but you don't need to have it all out there to show it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinforme View Post
As long as you stay classy and it looks good then wear it! I'm 28 and absolutely plan on rocking a sexy dress and high heeled boots when I get to your size. Its your life, your body and your choice rock what makes you happy

P.s 27 is still young, your only as old as you allow yourself to be.

i think these two posters must be seeing inside my mind because it pretty much sums up how i feel to the letter
modifyeddoll87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #8  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I'm the same age, lamenting over the same lost years and asking the very same questions. I've been paying attention to my friends and their wardrobes lately. Some of them dress amazingly - and some of them need a date with Stacy London.

I see that curve hugging pinup styles are coming back into vogue and I think that's awesome for those of us who want to dress appropriately. You can still show off everything but reveal nothing if you get my drift.

But you know what? When you hit goal, wear whatever you want for a while. You'll figure out what you like and what's appropriate, and you can go a little wild and make up for lost time.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

You're 27 not 77, you can probably still pass for college age, wear what you want!

IMO as long as you rock it, few things are truly ever "age inappropriate."
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Slutty looks awful at any age, and most women who I see dress 'sexy' are aiming for the right aesthetic and falling dreadfully short into the trashy category. Well fitted clothes, well groomed hair and skin, and an attitude of confidence are THE sexiest outfits. In terms of actual clothing items I find the right pair of heels or a pencil skirt goes a long, long way, but not because of the clothes, themselves, so much as how I carry myself when wearing them.

The lowest it shirt doesn't win the day at 17 or 77. Sexy isn't an age or clothing type, it's a state of mind. And following what the culture traditionally defines as sexy for the youth is a sure fire way to NOT be, as far as I'm concerned. I'm 26 but I'm a mother and wife - I can still be sexy without setting a terrible example for my kids

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 02-13-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

If Helen Mirren can rock a bikini at 67, you can certainly do so too!

Sorry if the picture is on the large side.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #12  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

My husband's aunt is 67 and has a body just like Helen Mirren. She looks HOT at 67 and wears a bikini too (though, she's in Europe and bikinis are the norm). It's all about how you dress the body and notice that bikini covers everything and is still very appropriate.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HWK256/SW247/239/150

Height: 5'5"

I haven't lost enough to worry about that yet, but I agree sexy is found in all age groups. I don't define sexy as how much skin is shown, sexy to me is being clean and put together. Confident and not cocky. Flattering cuts and enhancing colors. If you hit those points then I don't see how you can go wrong! When in doubt ask an honest trusted girlfriend!
dancinginpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #14  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinginpaint View Post
I haven't lost enough to worry about that yet, but I agree sexy is found in all age groups. I don't define sexy as how much skin is shown, sexy to me is being clean and put together. Confident and not cocky. Flattering cuts and enhancing colors. If you hit those points then I don't see how you can go wrong! When in doubt ask an honest trusted girlfriend!

Totally agree! I think some of the sexiest looks in history were things like the Audrey Hepburn "breakfast at Tiffany's" style dresses. All you saw was bare arm.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #15  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

I am 34 and wear skinny jeans, I prefer them to other jeans because I am short and refuse to wear mom jeans! My sister in law is 18 and she has so much fashion sense always wearing a scarf, boots, costume jewlerly and other very fashionable outfits. I think I can totally pull of her outfits and I don't care if I am nearly twice her age. I don't see letting my age stop me from dressing the way I want as long as I don't go around showing all my cleavage I'm good.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote