General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 245 / 189 / 170

Height: 5"4

Default VERY annoying issue with clothes!

So since my weightloss journey I've began shopping at stores like Ross and TJMaxx, Lane Bryant. Previously I really just got things from Walmart. And when winter hit, I've been purchasing darker things and ever since then I've been encountering the clothes all transferring color to my purses and me. I have a little black dress I've stopped wearing all together because even after several washes, the chest area and underarm area of my body are stained BLACK after a mere 2 hours of wear and it's really annoying to scrub off.

I've ruined 2 purses from this, and nothing I did was able to get the color transfer off. Hairspray, toothpaste, baking soda, detergent, shout, peroxide, etc etc etc. They don't even fade.

I also have a bright red Guess coat I got from TJMaxx that transferred bright red dye to my pure white purse (this was before I knew everything from these stores was doing it), and it completely ruined my purse, which was really expensive

I just...help?! I've washed this stuff over and over again and it's still doing it! Is it just a common TJMaxx/ross type store thing? BUT I had a black lane bryant cardigan doing the same thing. I don't know what to do anymore, but it's really starting to upset me!!!
Alyj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #2  
babybat

Height: 5'7

wow don't shop there again! if you can, get your money back or at least call them and tell them that their clothing leaves stains.
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 245 / 189 / 170

Height: 5"4

It's not a "there" though, it's 3 different stores! TJMaxx and Ross are basically clones, designer clothing that has defects/isn't selling well etc. gets shipped to these stores to sell.. but Lane Bryant is all their own, and it was a rather expensive cardigan I got from there that was doing the same thing. It seems that anything dark is doing it. For a test, I bought a black sweater from walmart, wore it all day, and nothing happened. I didn't have this problem in summer because I was buying light-colored clothing. Is there a way I can TELL that an article of clothing is going to do this before I buy it?
Alyj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #4  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

I recently met a mutual friend who happens to run a dry cleaning/commercial laundry business and she told me that most black clothing sold in the US has newer black dyes from
China that is causing this. I had a white purse stained from jeans a couple of years ago. I'm sorry this has happened repeated to you. I can understand your frustration. Perhaps consider shopping in thrift stores for older pieces?
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #5  

Soak them in white distilled vinegar for a few minutes before washing them.
Does it only happen after you wash them? I wonder if changing detergents might help?
That would be SO frustrating!

I would post a link to a great site that has a whole list of things white distilled vinegar can do for laundry, but I am new to this forum and apparently too new to post links. If you google "what does vinegar have to do with laundry" it should come up.

Best of luck!

I should also add that I use vinegar on all of my dark jeans as soon as they get home (before I wear or wash them) to help them hold their color. Works really well!

Last edited by cnako; 01-17-2013 at 07:26 AM.
cnako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #6  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

I have a few tops I bought from the local Fred meyers, they too transfer. The dye even gets under my fingernails. ugh I have no idea what a fix might be except to hold your receipts, in case some retailers might credit you.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 172/165/132

Height: 5'8"

Wow, that sounds awful! This has never happened to me (I live in Europe); I can't believe the story about the chinese products causing this. Why would they import an inferior product like that into the US?
runthecontinent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

I was also going to suggest the white distilled vinegar. Besides soaking the clothes first, you can also add a bit of it to your wash water.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote