3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > General chatter

General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Well I feel like an awful person

Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #16
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Congrats for asking for it to be remade!

I struggle with that kind of assertiveness. So what happens is this scenario - I eat it anyway, record the higher points and then somehow the message that I'm not worth fixing it for gets soaked in and I eventually end up eating "comfort" food that day to feel better. I find that there is a direct link to being passive and comfort eating.

Don't feel bad - you are worth a new drink the way you wanted it and don't feel guilty about it. I bet she would want hers remade and wouldn't have a hard time asking you to do it. It's not &itchy to be assertive. You didn't call her names or behave rudely - you just asked for the drink you ordered. She should have been apologetic and offered to make a new one. Scooping off the whipped cream is lazy and poor customer service. She was being rude to you, not the other way around.

There's no ticker here because I have no idea what I weigh, nor do I have plans to get on the scale anytime soon. My goals are to take care of myself in healthy ways and let the scale fall wherever it will. "It's not about skinny anymore - it's about healthy."
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #17
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

It's totally ridiculous that they just scooped it out to begin with!!! Seriously!? Coffees are expensive. You wouldn't go to a restaurant and ask them to hold the <whatever> and then see the waiter scoop that off right in front of you and expect you to be happy. That is POOR customer service. THEY got your order WRONG, you deserved a brand new RIGHT drink. I'm glad you had them do their actual job! For goodness sake don't feel bad one friggin' bit!!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaB2cute View Post
I would have just said something like sorry I'm allergic it makes me break out in fat all over my body
Awesome.

GOAL Photos & Story
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #19

S/C/G: 205/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Agree with everything that others have said.
1. you could be allergic
2. those drinks are crazy $$
3. you asked for it a specific way
4. you were not rude
5. I know my Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks would never do that, is a matter of fact at Starbucks if I am in there sitting reading the paper, on occasion they have said, "Hey we just made a mistake and it is what you drink, do you want another for free?
I am not an assertive person for the most part, but I would have been in this situation. NO GUILT!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #20

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

What if you'ld actually been severely allergic to the whip cream or one of it's ingredients? What if your religion forbade one of the ingredients? What if you just detested the taste, smell or thought of the ingredient so much that it made you vomit just to think about swallowing it? What if as a child you were somehow were abused and tormented and whip cream had been used as an instrument of torture? What if you didn't want the calories in whip cream residue? What if you just expected to always get precisely what you asked for when you're paying for a good or service. What if you're just sick of getting modifications and "sort of, but not exactly" what you requested when you're shelling out your hard-earned cash for goods and services?

Why would any of these things indicate or imply that you're in any way an awful person for asking to get exactly what you asked for when you contracted for a good or service?

None of these things are any of the server's business, and every one of them are also your right as a consumer.

If you had contracted for a house to be built, and the builders forgot one of the doors in a room, would you feel guilty or awful if you made them fix it properly, or would you let the workers slam a hole in the wall with a sledgehammer and call it good?

Whether in small things or large, you have a right to get exactly what you paid for, and not a compromise solution that is easiest on the product or service provider.

My husband and I have a friend so severely allergic to onions (but not onion powder) that his lips blister if his wife has eaten onions and kisses him. He rarely eats in restaurants because he's had servers do with onions what your server did with the whip cream. Their logic was that removing the onion itself couldn't cause any real harm.

Think of it this way, you demanding to get exactly what YOU want, could save someone else's life. By letting the service person "fix" your problem, they might kill someone doing it again. Better they learn to do it right the first time for small reasons, so they don't get into the habit of doing it wrong and kill someone with a severe allergy, right? You're doing others, not only yourself a favor. If it inconveniences the occasional product/service provider, small price to pay.

It doesn't matter why you want what you want as a consumer. Heck if you just "selfishly" expect to get exactly what you pay for, that doesn't make you a horrible person.

Personally, after a "look" like that I would have (with a smile and a kind voice) ask to see the manager and kindly asked the manager to explain to the worker why a customer might not be satisfied with a half-assed job of getting what they asked for? And if the manager didn't respond appropriately, I would just as kindly tell them most of what I'd told you - including the story of my onion-allergic friend.

You don't have to be an *** to expect what you paid for.

The reason I suggest doing it with a smile and a friendly voice is that it usually is most effective in showing the person that THEY are the ones being an ***, not you. If you're angry, they (and sometimes even their managers) think that you're just an unpleasable, problem customer. If you can remain calm, it reminds them that their job is to make you happy if they want more of your business. And if they forget that, you don't want defensiveness to be their first reaction, you want it to be embarassment, ideally understanding will come with it, or will shortly follow.

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #21
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLMuffnTop View Post
That said, it's not rude. I once got a latte for me and a breve for my husband. Instead of giving me skim milk, they gave me soy milk. I know plenty like it but I hate it! I had to turn around and have them remake it. Shivers just thinking about it.
Could be worse, could be me. I don't drink coffee normally but I was driving 4 hours on the road and there was a Starbucks at a rest stop. So I decided to get a soy latte with an extra shot of espresso. It tasted slightly 'off' to me but coffee in general tastes 'off' to me so Anyway, I added a splenda and off I went. It turns out it was regular milk. It was one of the worst experiences in my life, my stomach was in pain and I'll spare you the details but it was horrible. Luckily most of the 'effects' didn't take effect until I was home.

And I should say, I hadn't had dairy in a couple years but had never thought I was 'lactose intolerant' so I had no idea my body would react so violently. Now If I go somewhere and get a soy latte, I double/triple check it is a soy latte.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #22
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Nope! Don't feel bad. Their mistake!

I send stuff back frequently because apparently NO DRESSING on a salad or sandwich means to slather it all over the place...
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #23

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

My husband is a picky eater. He wants his hamburger from the fast food place with lettuce and tomato only. Nothing else - no sauce - no pickles - no anything. I would say that they get it wrong more than 50% of the time.

Does he feel bad about making them re-do it? NO. Does he accept that they just remove the pickles? NO. If I happen to be the one who gets the food I check before leaving the establishment and I do NOT feel guilty about making them redo it.

My point is that your issue with the coffee is just as important as my DH's burger. You are just as important as anyone else. You deserve your drink exactly the way you want it. Do not let the "stink eye" from the employees upset you.

Having said the above, I totally understand your insecurities. I am the same way about anything for myself. I need to hear my own words.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #24
❈ one w/ the wind & sky ❈

S/C/G: 360/210/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
My husband is a picky eater. He wants his hamburger from the fast food place with lettuce and tomato only. Nothing else - no sauce - no pickles - no anything. I would say that they get it wrong more than 50% of the time.

Does he feel bad about making them re-do it? NO. Does he accept that they just remove the pickles? NO. If I happen to be the one who gets the food I check before leaving the establishment and I do NOT feel guilty about making them redo it.
My husband is the exact same way, lettuce and tomatoes only, no pickles, no sauce, no onions, no anything else. And they do get it wrong more than 50% of the time! It's annoying, it gets old, and we always have to double-check the food.

We were traveling this past weekend, and stopped at a Carl's Jr. to get lunch. And they got every single aspect of our order wrong. They gave me Dr. Pepper when I asked for tea. They gave me some BBQ sandwich instead of the turkey burger. They gave me regular fries instead of sweet potato. And not surprisingly, they put pickles, onions, and mustard on my husband's burger. We had to get their attention through the drive-thru window for each individual item, as they remained oblivious at us trying to get their attention, and rushed away before we had the chance to point out everything wrong. The final straw for me was that the lady started arguing with my husband over the mustard, claiming he was mistaking it for melted cheese . . . oy.

. . .

I've worked enough food service to know what's professional, and most should know just from common sense how to act appropriately with customers. You don't just scoop the whipped cream off a drink and expect it to be good enough! My husband has actually been asked if he has allergies when the employee is obviously annoyed, but does it matter? He ordered it a certain way and paid for it, what difference should it make in whether or not the order should be remade properly?

I often order the iced tea at McDonald's, and I'd wager that they give me a sweet tea about 80% of the time (saying "plain iced tea" immediately prompts them to ask "sweet or unsweet," and apparently "unsweet" and "sweet" sound way too similar). I have no problems making them fix it and they're typically polite about it. And when they're not, I complain. I've also had issues with ordering the oatmeal without the brown sugar. If they're out of the plain, they tend to get huffy with me, and I turn right around and ask them why they would alienate any customers with special dietary needs; would they think a diabetic person should be ok with having the added sugar? And regardless, why should they think pulling an attitude should somehow make me ok with something I didn't order?

Customer service these days . . .

Visit Elladorine.com to see my 150 lb. progress photos & more!Facebook Twitter

★ Goal for 2013: Healthy Pregnancy, Healthy Baby REACHED 12-11-13]
★ Goal for 2014: Get under 200 pounds once and for all!!! ★

Last edited by Elladorine : 01-10-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #25

S/C/G: 131/sig/110

I would be annoyed if that happened. You're not awful, don't feel guilty, you're not the one that made the mistake, they did and they are giving you attitude for their own mistake. It's just bad service.

I <3 CM Punk!
129 128 127 126 125 124 123 122 121 120
119 118 117 116 115 114 113 112 111 110
Lemongrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #26

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Thankyou for all the advice about feelings on how to well feel about this, normally I'm a non confrontational person. And I have these after thoughts of people's reaction like they would still be thinking wow watch out for that picky red head and her low cal drinks. Lol I'm sure she isn't but I still felt akward about it. Yes yes I wonder the same thing... Like yes I just ordered this lite skinny and splendafied and whip topping sounds like a great idea, oh and some syrup. That I don't understand.

Sigh, but thankyou gals. I think it may be hard for people to understand a healthy lifestyle. I almost wanted to explain why, but I stopped myself for the need to explain why I wanted it that way. Like I started to say it, and was like "oi, ehh you know" something I'm trying on personally, my self worth.

May daily weigh in

Till I hit mini goal!!!
Mini goal #1 190 getting back fit!
Mini goal #2 175 lower bmi range
Mini goal #3 160
Final goal !!! 145
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #27
Warrior Princess

S/C/G: 155/138/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
My BF eats a burger plain, nothing on it. Meat and a bun which means they screw it up 99% of the time. I don't know about you but the picky eater thing drives me insane. It is impossible to cook for him. He basically has the diet of a 6 year old. It's terrible. Chicken nuggets, plain hamburgers, plain hot dogs, ramen and spaghetti-o's. WTF.

Anyway, back to the original topic - no you didn't do anything wrong by asking them to remake your drink. Don't lose any sleep.

novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #28

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

No bad feelings at all....what if you were allergic?

Welcome to my crazy life.....http://theythatweight.blogspot.com/

A City Girl's Guide to Faith, Weight and Sanity
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #29
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedollylala View Post

Sigh, but thankyou gals. I think it may be hard for people to understand a healthy lifestyle. I almost wanted to explain why, but I stopped myself for the need to explain why I wanted it that way. Like I started to say it, and was like "oi, ehh you know" something I'm trying on personally, my self worth.
While you owe nobody an explanation, you sort of hit the nail on the head here. A healthy lifestyle is "weird," and most people don't understand it. It's why so many of us have to jump through hoops when we're ordering out just to get something healthy.

Why do I have to specify several times over that I don't want dressing on my salad? Why is that the "weird" choice? Why is the default to slather dressing all over the thing? I found out I actually liked salad because I decided to try some without dressing! It turns out I hated most salad dressings and because I was "supposed to" put dressing on my salad I wound up avoiding it until recently!

It's why I have to watch my food like a hawk if I go to a place where it's made in front of me (Chipotle, Subway, Blimpie, etc.), or check it throughly when I get it in a restaurant. I'm used to it at this point, but still, we should be able to order food and get it the way we want and not be questioned or ridiculed. Yes, I really want my tea black with nothing in it...
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:30 AM   #30

S/C/G: 285/ticker/185?

I've been in the customer service industry for over a quarter of a century. When you order something, you have the RIGHT to expect it to be right. Now, if something goes haywire with equipment or something & they can't make it right...they need to consult with you. In other words, get your approval. Just like you'd have done if you were taking your car to a mechanic, and more/different issues are found.
Think about it, you pay $5 or more for your coffee? Something that would cost you probably less than a $1 to make at home. Coffee places are making a hugh profit on our need for that awesome elixir of the gods....they SHOULD do it right. And if they do goof on a order...CORRECT IT!
If I were the manager, I'd not only have your coffee remade for you, it would be free. People who are in the customer service need to realize....CUSTOMERS ARE THE REASON THEY ARE THERE!! Without customers coming in & spending THEIR MONEY, the doors would close permanently.
I'd contact their district manager or home office. Chances are they are this sloppy with other customers. And if the issues aren't known, they can't be fixed.
A good example...look on Yahoo what Legos did for a young boy who lost his favorite figure. THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE!
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.