What Are You Reading JAN 2013

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • Smart Chefs Stay Slim by Allison Adato
    and
    Pale Demon by Kim Harrison
  • I just finished "Last to Die" by Tess Gerritsen. Before that I read "Confessions of a Failed Anorexic" by Michelle Cantrell and "Thinspo" by Amy Ellis - my New Year's Resolution was to read more books and so far I've read those 3 in January alone. I'd say I'm doing good
  • I'm on the second Games of Thrones (Fire and Ice) book. I'm enjoying the series so far, but the books just don't GRAB me, ya know? I read about a chapter or a chapter and a half at a time and that's it. I'm planning on finishing the series, because they are good books but I wish I could get that "I need to read MORE!" feeling.

Also, with all the e-readers now-a-days, does anyone else miss the feel of holding a book? I have kindle on my phone, not a real kindle, so maybe that's the issue. But I just miss snuggling on the couch and flipping pages. Maybe it's just me... I'm planning on finding the paperback of GofT book 3. I hope that helps.
  • Regarding eReaders, I love them because I have a "mommy" purse and my kids like to destroy books. My 2 year old is just in a very destructive phase. I like that I can toss my kindle in my purse and have it during my little bit of downtime. Books are just too bulky for this part of my life with diaper bags, book bags, snack packs, juice boxes etc.

I am just finishing up "Chuggie and the Desecration of Stagwater" by Brent Michael Kelley. Comedy-horror-fantasyish? Hard to categorize but I liked it. Quick easy read and quite humorous, though not for everyone.
  • I totally get that I love that since I read on my phone, I have my book anywhere I go and if I finish one, I can immediately buy/get another one. Plus the no bulk thing. There are definite positives of the e-readers.

I feel like I don't enjoy reading as much as I used to. I'm trying to narrow down why that is. Is it the books i'm reading? Is it that I read on my phone, when I already feel like my phone is such a large part of my life? I really that's it. I think I need either actual books or a real e-reader.
  • Hubby bought me a reader last Christmas and I have yet to use it, I love to curl up with my murder mysteries, esp paperbacks. lol
  • Re-read "World War Z" by Max Brooks for the billionth time and am now working my way through "The Road" by Corma McCarthy. I enjoyed his other book "No Country For Old Men" so I'm going to assume this book will be just as good.
  • I'm still reading The Round House which I'm enjoying greatly. I leave for vacation tomorrow which involved a cross-country flight and a week-long cruise, so I imagine I'll come back to report on two or three books consumed!
  • Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
  • I read a lot of free books on Kindle. Yesterday I finished a really great book! I highly recommend it. Parts of it had me giggling outloud.

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Not-Aggi...s=ready+or+not
  • Quote: Also, with all the e-readers now-a-days, does anyone else miss the feel of holding a book? I have kindle on my phone, not a real kindle, so maybe that's the issue. But I just miss snuggling on the couch and flipping pages. Maybe it's just me... I'm planning on finding the paperback of GofT book 3. I hope that helps.
    I used to have the same hesitations (and I did try the Kindle app on my phone) and I swore I would never get an ereader. But my husband got a galaxy tablet and downloaded the Kindle App for me there and I LOVE IT! I love that I can get books anywhere anytime. And it doesn't feel much different than a book, you can set it to where you flip the pages. Mine change with a tap though. Plus the Kindle automatically saves the spot for you. And Amazon always has different books you can download for free.
  • I just started reading A Million Miles in A Thousand Years by Donald Miller. It's really good so far! He has a few other good ones including Blue Like Jazz!
  • So far, I read Goddess of the Sea by P.C. Cast this month.

I'm currently reading The Painted Boy by Charles de Lint.

I would like to read Elphame's Choice and Brighid's Quest by P.C. Cast by the end of this month as well.
  • Quote:
    Re-read "World War Z" by Max Brooks for the billionth time and am now working my way through "The Road" by Corma McCarthy. I enjoyed his other book "No Country For Old Men" so I'm going to assume this book will be just as good.
    Loved World War Z. Great fun. The Road is just spectacular. Elegaic and absolutely haunting.

E-readers: yes, get a real e-reader (preferable a plain old e-ink kind - reserved for reading it'll feel more like a book)! They are nicer than reading on your phone, AND your phone app and the e-reader should sync together, so you still have the benefit of having books everywhere.

I have an e-reader but still mostly read Real Books. Heh. I love the e-reader for traveling and for reading classics, but man, I like having Real Books (tm) around and in my hands. I like to see how many pages are left and when the next chapter or section starts, and I like to put a Real Book aside after I've finished it.

I really loved Game of Thrones, in the can't put it down way, but I read the real books and uhm, generally skipped ahead to read the next Arya chapter. Repeatedly, and that might be harder with an e-reader.

---

I've finished City of Bohane - I really liked it, loved the language, but had pretty fair problems with the female characters right through the end. None of them felt lived in the way the male characters did. Jenni Ching was basically a damn comic book heroine, and Macu's interior life was nil.

Have taken up Wolf Hall again, since I received the sequel for Christmas, and am also finally getting into The Name of the Wind. Which, wow. Patrick Rothfuss' prose is lovely enough that I am enjoying a genuine, traditional fantasy novel by an author other than GRRM for the first time in years. (I love fantasy, hate most books in the genre.)

But at the same time: ugh. The main character is The Most Awesome Dude in the World, in a less awesome way than the Dos Equis' commercial dude. So even as I'm humming along enjoying, I have this irritation in the back of my mind.
  • "Paul McCartney -Many Years From Now" by Barry Miles. I've just finished 'Life' by Keith Richards.