General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #16  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

It amazes me that overbearing parents don't realize that the more they try to control their kids and intrude in their lives, the more they wind up pushing them away! So, in the end, they get the result that they fear the most -- losing their kids --- who wind up moving far, far away!

My entire family, and my wife's family, all live within 30 minutes from each other. We see and talk to each other all the time. I love that we are all that close. But the reason we are so close is that we love each others' company. My parents were always nurturing and caring -- not overbearing and dominating. Because of that, I never had any urge to move away. On the contrary, it made me want to be near them. With my mom and dad turning 80 and 75 this year (and my in-laws almost the same age), I realize that we don't have that many more years with them. My wife and I have a hectic life raising three kids. But we still find time to see our parents and siblings quite often. Its sad to see that everybody doesn't have the same, close relationship with their parents.

Last edited by joefla70; 11-26-2012 at 04:36 PM.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #17  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

P.S. For those of you who take the high-road and bite your tongue when confronted with rude statements from family, I give you a lot of credit! I don't think I could do the same!
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 285/285/140

Height: 5'5

For the most part, I get along with my in-laws... we're not married yet but I still consider them in-laws (we've been together for 5 years) There have been times where I do let his mother know that I am not a stupid person and know what the **** I am doing.. and was told by his father I wasn't family (after a mini argument with his mother, which we tend to have at times but we still love each other to pieces) and this was after I helped him tremendously with things because he apparently can't do anything on his own (my bfs mother has progressive MS and needs help with him) and the times at the dinner table at his Uncles.. where his son (who was 9 at the time) informed me that I cook from a box, he's 9 so I am assuming he heard this from his father. I know what to expect from these people and I call it every time Lol, I just sit silent and enjoy my bfs company because he really is all I need in life.. I do still dread the holidays with them though, I don't think that will ever change
binklywinks is offline   Reply With Quote