General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Default Do they swear alot where you work too?

Ok, so I don't know how other people are like...but I never grew up being swore around. I think I learned my first swear word in 6th grade-maybe I live a sheltered life? It was ironic because I remember I was riding the school bus with older kids that year, so my mom requested, rather demanded I ride at the front of the bus to avoid such talk. BUT it turns out BAD kids are made to sit at the front and guess what bad kids say? lol
Still growing up I really never swore much. I think I had a habit of swearing in maybe 7th grade but quit. See...I always wanted to be a teacher! And I figured swearing would be a bad habit for a teaching...obviously I can't start swearing in the middle of class to get kids attention.
But I never finished my teaching degree, with the economy though I doubt it would have gotten me a job there.
Anyways, now I work in an office and bosses constantly swear. I mean really...is their vocabulary so small they only know 4 letter words? Anyways...I wonder if this is the same everywhere? I wonder about if I end up getting a job in another office I will have to put up with the same thing...
Maybe I should work in a daycare? Doubt they let workers swear there?!?!
Guess this is just a rant...but I just wanted to know what it is like to work other places! Thanks
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 223/130/126

Height: 5ft 5

Yep, people swear in my office workplace. I'm not too bothered by it, although personally keep my own swearing to a minimum (at least when at work!)

Some people just like to swear. Maybe buy the office a swear box and say you want to raise money for charity or something?
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #3  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

Well... honestly... I don't really ever have this problem. I've had the very rare occasional co-worker drop a four letter word in frustration, but rarely.

I guess swearing doesn't bother me unless it's intended to be intimidating or degrading by nature. As in: "F--- you! You nasty B---!" But if it's just someone who drops a bag and lets out the "F--!!!!" Then I can easily let it go.

If this makes you uncomfortable though, you can speak up and say it's intimidating etc. I wouldn't think someone who constantly cusses is being professional in any way, and I've never dealt with it on a constant basis. Just the rare "oh sh--- I forgot..."
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

LOL! I was an articulate, expressive human being until ... My first job out of college was on the night shift in a GM assembly plant. I learned to use the F word as a noun, verb, adjective, adverb, and preposition ... all in a single sentence. 23 years later, DS12 will easily be able to pay for private college by charging me a quarter for each profane word. I am better, but still in recovery.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #5  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

In my office (I'm the boss) if your sentence doesn't contain a swear word its not a complete sentence, lol! Well...not in front of the patients but in the break room...eff this eff that...sh**...a few b's here and there...everybody has a stick up their a**...

And I'm probably the worst offender, we live in a small fishing town featured very prominantly on the Deadliest Catch and if you've ever watched the show you know they bleep out ever other word...such is life on the isle.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Yes but in the back room only, I work in a salon and it's kept hush hush on the floor for the most part unless there's one client we all know and doesn't mind we talk about sex or whatever us crazy ladies talk about... But yeah we are awful in the break room, talking about all sorts of things... Pms... Pooing, sexy time, lol life in a salon is uhm crazy
Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Nope -- not in any of the places I worked at. Computer labs, offices, etc. It was "professional all the time." When I worked in churches or with children, no way.

Now off the clock in the parking lot or if someone had a really CRAZY thing happen like a car accident at lunch break there might be a few expletives in the break room or something. Phone rings and "Oh ****! My wife is in labor! Ahhhhh!" and the guy runs out anyone could understand as not the norm. lol.

So I think it varies on the job location/type job setting.

Overall it's better not to swear on the job. No matter the job. Think all you want, you know? But not swear. That's not the norm.

It's not creating a wonderful work place environment for anyone if the air is blue all the time. That kind of thing takes a toll on the human spirit. Or at least it would mine.

Save the strong words for the times that need it -- don't devalue their power by going f this and f that all the time.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-20-2012 at 10:42 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #8  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

No, I don't recall ever having had bosses that swore very much, and I've worked jobs ranging from fast food to white collar government positions. Most used a few swear words, but it's been uncommon and the result of frustration, anger, or the occasion "spice". I've had a few co-workers with potty mouths, but they've generally been folks who seemed burned out and were stuck on dead end tracks.

It might depend a bit on industry and location - there seem to be some places and some industries where people tend to equate being assertive and in-control with using crude or hurtful language. However, not all places are full of people who think their job description includes the line "cuss like a sailor."

Good luck. I hope you are able to create a more positive atmosphere in your current workplace, or find a new job where people don't feel the need to drag every conversation in the office into the dirt.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #9  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

Man if swearing were in the Olympics the staff at one of my jobs would take the gold for every word.... I never really had a mouth on me but since working there I've had to stop myself in front of my family a lot more often ;-)

My other job however- is teaching dance ages 3-18, do even words like "stupid" and "shut up" are banned.
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #10  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
In my office (I'm the boss) if your sentence doesn't contain a swear word its not a complete sentence, lol! Well...not in front of the patients but in the break room...eff this eff that...sh**...a few b's here and there...everybody has a stick up their a**...

And I'm probably the worst offender, we live in a small fishing town featured very prominantly on the Deadliest Catch and if you've ever watched the show you know they bleep out ever other word...such is life on the isle.
hello from another alaskan! my BIL was just out your way working for a few months

on the topic...ive never had jobs where people swear too much...even in the newspaper business where i used to work for a long time...now i work with elementary students so of course swearing is completely off limits
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 311/301/150

Height: 5"6"

Default yep

My office swears like we are a bunch of sailors. It's part of the culture here. Odd I know, but it works for us.
trf0ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:23 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 364/353/165

Height: 5'6"

I've only started swearing in the last year and I'm 29. I started work as a CNA and I think we all hate our job and swear constantly. :/
Kitsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

I've never worked in a place where swearing was the norm. We're all adults so I'm not shocked when I hear an occassional "colorful" word, but it certainly doesn't pop up that often in daily conversation.......I recently worked for a director that was known for dropping the F-bomb when he got angry (which was often), but he rarely cursed in day to day conversation.
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

No, it's not the same everywhere. I think the tone is set by the higher-ups. I've never heard my boss swear so those words are rarely used in our environment, reserved for particularly expressive phrases (usually whispered) or major accidents. Same for every other place I've worked.

I think the best you can do is continue using expletive-free complete sentences and hope that other people will catch on that you don't care for that type of language. Unless your ears continue bleeding daily I wouldn't look for another job for that reason alone - but it never hurts to know your options.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Being a guy in construction I can tell you we cuss a lot. I am guilty as most!

Mostly the F and S words are used more as adjectives and verbs though....

as in the F'n guy won't move his S... of of my way....

man that job was F'n hard and parking was S.....!

Not something that I am proud of!

And something I have controlled a little better over the years.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote