General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #1  
Shrinking Angela

S/C/G: 210/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default I Hate Constipation!

I don't know if it's because I just made drastic changes to my eating habits and I've gone from being a couch potato to being active.... but suddenly (for the last week or so) I have horrible constipation. I can feel my whole system backing up because of this. I really just reaaallly want to poop.

I'm used to have IBS so when I suddenly don't have a need to go after every meal or when I wake up in the morning, I feel so nasty.

I'd really rather not force myself to eat foods I know will cause me GI issues. But I feel like I have nothing else to do.

Does anyone have any tips for constipation?
themusicalfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #2  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

My moms old school remedy was having a tablespoon of olive oil right before bed... I remember her making me do so as a child. I have IBS and am constipated allll ...the....freaking...time hahahhaa

I've tried it all, but I just can't stomach a tablespoon of olive oil it makes me gag.

I just take senna pills before bed. It may not be good for me but it's the only thing that works.
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

I have a friend who swears by warm apple juice. I've also read that drinking warm water (several glasses) can help to get things moving. Magnesium can help, too. I use magnesium personally- it has a bit of a laxative effect and softens things up, too.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #4  
Amazing Revelations

S/C/G: 272/ticker/161

Height: 5ft 7

i work in a care setting, because of meds some of our clients can get a bit 'backed up'. we swear by this - half a glass of warm water mixed with a tablespoon of brown sugar, let the sugar dissolve and top up with orange juice. done
MissSMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #5  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Senna tea!

Not something you want to take everyday as you shouldn't be backed up every day, but it's great for a fast fix when you had a bad diet day or are taking something that's gonna back you up.

Normally I used to get backed up on my weekend because being on my feet 8 hours at work always kept things moving nicely. But on the weekend I'm sometimes pretty lazy (so bad of me) so on my first two days back to work can be pretty icky. If i know I ate bad over the weekend and/or didn't move around much, I'll drink a cup of senna tea before bedtime. i just put a tiny bit of sugar in it as it always has a sweet flavor. normally a few hours after waking up everythings been flushed. Sometimes if it's really bad it wont hit me until the middle of my work, which kinda sucks lol but it's not a super stong laxitive, least not for me. so no cramps or rushing to the bathroom NOW or else.

I second the epsom salt if you want to get rid of it NOW. warning though, it'll just as easily make you vomit as clean you out. But then again, I always used the full dose of salt. It's always very strong and the cramps are killer. but you'll be cleaned out within the hour. (I've never heard of anyone using epsom salts that didn't go within the hour.)
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #6  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I was diagnosed with IBS nearly 20 years ago, but suffered from it for many years before that diagnosis. I have BOTH constipation AND diarrhea. Loads of fun (not!)

Truth be known, if I have to suffer from one or the other, I'd pick diarrhea every single time. Constipation just HURTS.

My doc told me years ago to give up laxatives & I thought she was crazy. But she said I could take Milk of Mag anytime I wanted/needed but to experiment with how much was the "right amount" for me. Took me a while but I finally figured out that half a dose is my "right amount". I take it every night before bed. Rarely if ever suffer from constipation ever since.

If I eat red meat, I ALWAYS TAKE EXTRA MAGNESIUM
- in the form of pills - usually 4, 6, or 8 per day, depending how much red meat I've eaten. I don't have this problem when I have chicken, fish, seafood, etc. Red meat is a known "constipator" (heh, I love making up new words )

The transit time for all foods in your system should be about 12-16 hours. So if you're interested in testing your digestive timing, ingest some corn and time how long it takes to appear in your stool. The time from ingestion to the time the corn ceases to appear in your stool is the true transit time. To the extent that the interval is greater than 16 hours, you are constipated - stated bluntly, at least 2 (optimally 3) bowel movements a day are vital for optimal health!

Major danger can arise when we add meat products to a poorly functioning or constipated system. Red meat that stays in the system for over 16 hours begins to putrefy and becomes toxic. Not only will this create discomfort and intense odor, but food that putrefies in the stomach, colon, or intestines creates a breeding ground for viruses, bacteria, etc.

I'm not saying you should never eat red meat or that red meat is the only reason a person becomes constipated. Some people don't experience constipation from red meat at all; but there are scientific controlled studies out there that explain the whole thing. Google is your friend.

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 05-30-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/262/176

Height: 5'8"

Are you doing exercises? Because I find doing say 20 minutes of brisk walking or even jogging helps move the bowels. Also make sure your drinking enough water and another thing you could add is Benefiber to a drink a day.
collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #8  
Here to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post

If I eat red meat, I ALWAYS TAKE EXTRA MAGNESIUM
- in the form of pills - usually 4, 6, or 8 per day, depending how much red meat I've eaten. I don't have this problem when I have chicken, pork, seafood, etc. Red meat is a known "constipator" (heh, I love making up new words )
This is 100% true for me- meat constipates me. I'm going to try your trick of taking extra mag when I eat meat.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #9  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Eating less = pooping less. Very common among dieters.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #10  
Shrinking Angela

Red meat = never been something that settles well in my body, so I try to avoid it. And I totally agree, I'd much rather have diarrhea than constipation.

I do 30 minutes of fast-paced walking 5 nights a week, so I am definitely getting my exercise in. And I just started taking digestive enzymes and I take fennel pills. And I'm drinking my 8-10 glasses of water.

It's just so weird because I'm used to having that "oh-my-god-gotta-run-to-the-bathrom-now!" sensation when I do need to go. I haven't had constipation this bad in a while. But the worst part is that I feel like the scale is showing my constipation because I'm still carrying all this waste in my colon.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far! I'll try these and let you guys know what helps!
Old 05-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

Go vegetarian!! lol okay so that isn't really my advice, though it has helped me (note: didn't go veg so I would poop...just an upside of a great transition in my life). I swear I poop 3-4 times a day, depending on how much I eat.
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 203/193/155

Height: 5'2"

Water, yogurt, yoga.

My husband makes fun of me because I poop at exactly the same (very convenient) time every day. Water, yogurt, yoga.

thundahthighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:46 AM   #13  
Shrinking Angela

Okay, so someone told me apples might help get things moving. Do they really work?
Old 05-31-2012, 01:25 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/148/140(ATM)

Height: 5'2" on a good day

Clementines/oranges, pineapples and kiwis are what works for me. Those fruits clean me out so well!

Stirred yogurt/yogurt with live cultures is also wonderful. I try to have some every day.

Also, while not the healthiest, a cigarette is supposed to make it easier for you to go!
DesertTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #15  
Here to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by themusicalfruit View Post
Okay, so someone told me apples might help get things moving. Do they really work?
Hm. I do have a friend who swears by apple juice...I wonder, if in addition to all the fiber in them, if apples have some sort of a laxative effect as well due to something else? I'd say it's worth a try to see what happens.