General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/*see ticker*/120

Height: 5'3

Default I tore my calf muscle today and OMG the PAIN!

So my right leg has been healing from shin splints the past few weeks. Its been getting a little better, the shin splints themselves seem to have healed. But I ended up straining my calf muscle from walking differently when over compensating for the pain of the shin splint. When I was at school sitting down I wouldn't have any issues with my leg. But walking around a few hours at work I would feel a constant pain in the back of my calf, kind of like when you cramp your leg, but mine wasn't cramped but I just ignored it. And when I got down to the floor to clean a dog kennel I could feel my entire calf muscle just shred! I swear I heard it too. It hurt so bad, felt worse than the original shin splint itself. Walking afterwards it wasnt so bad, only hurt when I had to get back down on the floor. Though on the drive home it bothered me and now that I took my shoes off I can walk right and walking with a bit of a gimp because I can't straighten out my leg.

I don't want to go to the docotors just yet, I might wait a day or so. But all I can say is damn it hurt like ****!
SoCalCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Ice, ice and more ice. elevation, gentle stretching. hope you feel better, and if you don't, get thee to a doctor. as far as shin splints, when your calf heals, make sure you get enough calf stretches in if you are running, and toe raises to work the front of your leg. weak ankles and calves make for injury-prone legs. i know because i have weak ankles and calves and have injured my calf and had wicked shinsplints. much better since adding more stretching and toe raises. take care.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/*see ticker*/120

Height: 5'3

Thanks for the tips Brandis! I'm going to try them, I kept my leg wrapped all night last night and my leg seems to be doing a bit better, the real test will be is once I start actually walking
SoCalCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #4  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

My bf just tore her calf muscle this past weekend, while dancing at an office party.

She's in tons of pain too, but she said she's starting physio in a couple of days. In the meantime, she's wearing compression stockings, has pain medication, is using crutches and keeping weight of it (all doc's orders).

I'd say definitely go to the doctor.. it's a serious thing!

PS my friend says it's HORRENDOUS pain!
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote