General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

My first child came 6 weeks early - I was in the labor room practically before husband could park the car and get scrubs on. No time for pain meds, but Dr. did do an episiotomy. The cut was quick and not a big deal because of the other pain. I did see the placenta and thought it was interesting - did not gross out. The doc then gave me some local numbing stuff and put in a few stitches so the Vag would heal at normal size and not all stretched out. No poop for either of us and Perfect baby :-)

The next pregnancy was twins and they came about 3 weeks early. Had an epidural (yea!) and had a vaginal delivery, 10 minutes apart. The worst part was being given Pitocin to make the contractions more intense, given before the epidural. Labor pains suck! Perfect babies, TWO placentas, but no poop. They did push down on my stomach after the last one was born to get the placenta to deliver, but no big deal.
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #47  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

That was an awful article, and no it isn't that bad. Placentas, IMO, are quite cool. Also with the feces and such? It really is no big deal. Fetal monitoring only sucks when they restrict your movement and act as though you're both dying because you had to roll over

Episiotomies are unnecessary, too, and as already noted here are on the way out. As someone who has had a four day labor ending in a c-section, a two day VBAC with an epidural, and finally an unmedicated VBAC, none of them were bad enough to make me not want more children, even immediately thereafter. And that's not even counting the blessing of the kids, themselves! Birth is incredibly awesome, but it is intense. That article is the kind of nasty misinformation and horror campaign that unnecessarily freaks parents-to-be out and doesn't prepare them with any really knowledge or wisdom. I know it is the type of stuff on the site, but it was junk.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 05-03-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #48  
Back with a story

Oh, and epidurals and spinals? SUCK! The sheer ease of recovery and bounce back from labor for both of us made not having medication SO worth it. They can be helpful in some circumstances - I needed an epidural in my second labor to stave off exhaustion and relax enough to complete dilating - but just getting them without an immediate or emergent medical need beyond discomfort? Given the side effects to both mom and baby, it isn't worth it (in my experience, anyway).

Natural is the way to go, I hope I don't have another birth that needs augmenting because natural, unaltered labor was the best of the three ways I have now had children.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #49  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Oh, and epidurals and spinals? SUCK! The sheer ease of recovery and bounce back from labor for both of us made not having medication SO worth it. They can be helpful in some circumstances - I needed an epidural in my second labor to stave off exhaustion and relax enough to complete dilating - but just getting them without an immediate or emergent medical need beyond discomfort? Given the side effects to both mom and baby, it isn't worth it (in my experience, anyway).

Natural is the way to go, I hope I don't have another birth that needs augmenting because natural, unaltered labor was the best of the three ways I have now had children.

See and I have the complete opposite view. I had an epidural and thought it was great. THe only downside in my view was that the hosptial I gave birth at has a policy that you have to have an IV and a catheter if you have an epidural. Other than that it was wonderful and I could still feel giving birth just with way, way less pain.

I really don't know why anyone would want to go the natural route to be honest. I wouldn't want to feel the pushing out part of the delivery. Plus the beauty of the epidural is that because it is directly to your spine they can give such a low dose of medication that it doesn't affect the baby at all.

At the hospital the nurse told me that they deliver around 500 babies a month and 75% of the women have an epi. So they are very common and safe. Although, if I have a third child since it *should* be easier I'd be willing to try it without just to see what it was like LOL

Pepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #50  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
I really don't know why anyone would want to go the natural route to be honest. I wouldn't want to feel the pushing out part of the delivery. Plus the beauty of the epidural is that because it is directly to your spine they can give such a low dose of medication that it doesn't affect the baby at all.
There are a lot of well-researched pluses to not getting an epidural. For example, unmedicated labors are typically shorter, you have a lower risk of fever (meaning you and baby won't have to be given antibiotics unnecessarily in case of infection), you have greater chances of breastfeeding success (fentanyl in epidurals, specifically, is associated with early breastfeeding problems), and you don't run into any of the (small, but present) risks associated with the epidural (particularly blood pressure drops).

There are pluses to epidurals, too, and in many labor circumstances, they may be necessary (a mother who is so tense from pain that her cervix can't dilate may save herself from a c-section, for example, by getting an epidural so she can continue making progress). There are trade-offs with either decision, and there are definitely important, scientifically-backed reasons to decide either way, depending on priorities.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #51  
Back with a story

You hit it on the head, Mandy! You're obviously very well read for your upcoming birth (I'm so excited for you and the wifey!).

The side effect rate of epidurals on mothers is much higher than is usually reported (anything from pain/neuropathy to headaches and all the way up the chain to infections) and it does indeed affect the baby, some more than others and depending on the dose/duration/skill of administration. Epidurals affect the balance of hormones in labor and in my case made for longer recovery after birth, more breastfeeding issues, and lingering pain. I was up and walking fifteen minutes after my unmedicated vaginal birth. My epidural birth was hours in recovery and a rougher nursing relationship in those first few hours. My spinal was administered well but I did end up with some side effects, too. Things like compromised respiration are factors with both spinal blocks and epis, as well, and that can be frightening and unpleasant to a mother. I also push a heck of a lot more effectively when I am getting full feedback not dulled by medication.

It is a very individual thing and my epidural was definitely necessary for the exact reason Amanda mentioned, but opting for them without medical necessity is something I have learned is very unwise. But I believe there are very specific physiological reasons for birth and the process and seek to interrupt that as little as possible, unless it becomes a health and safety issue (distress, exhaustion, malposition, infection, etc). It is one of those things each mom has to look into, but I've had pretty much every birth type under the sun, from starting out as a homebirth that transferred and ended up a c-section to prodromal labor for two weeks ending in an ultimately quick and mother-led natural hospital birth. So my perspective has obviously come from my own learning and experiences and every mother is going to have a different journey. This is where seeking out as much quality information on the process as possible is so helpful -making fully informed decisions is the best for everyone involved, regardless of what the decision ends up being.

But as for me, NO opting for medication that isn't indicated by the severity of my condition.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #52  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I believe that catheters and IV's are a given at all hospitals with epidurals. I had surgery the previous year and my bladder was bruised from the cath. It was not a fun recovery. That was one of the reasons I chose to forgo the epi and it was the right decision for me. They have their place, but I wanted to interfere with my son's arrival as little as possible and didn't want any of the variables added with the epi. I tell ya, being free to do whatever I wanted (what my body cued me to do) - eat, dance, walk, etc... was wonderful. I think getting one is a personal decision and they definitely have their place, but I wanted to consider all of the factors and risks.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepino View Post
See and I have the complete opposite view. I had an epidural and thought it was great. THe only downside in my view was that the hosptial I gave birth at has a policy that you have to have an IV and a catheter if you have an epidural. Other than that it was wonderful and I could still feel giving birth just with way, way less pain.

At the hospital the nurse told me that they deliver around 500 babies a month and 75% of the women have an epi. So they are very common and safe. Although, if I have a third child since it *should* be easier I'd be willing to try it without just to see what it was like LOL

Well, there are side affects. My son had severe shoulder dystocia and due to my epidural, I was unable to do any of the maneuvers to get him out safely, so he was born with a birth injury.

Natural birth hurts like **** but quite honestly, unmedicated is safer in the majority of circumstances. I am having a home birth with this baby because it gives me the best chance to stay mobile and unmedicated in case the dystocia happens again.

Perhaps it is a cultural difference. In the US, it seems epidurals and being on your back in the hospital is preferred. In many places of the world, most women recognize that being free, mobile, and feeling your body is the safest way to deliver. To each their own, but it frightens me how 'medical' the American system is and how much nurses push pitocin and epidurals.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #54  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Childbirth is like religion or politics, each one has to do what is best for herself.

I was medicated to a point that I felt nothing with my DD, I chose to have no meds with my DS, and have the full experience. I don't know which was better. I love the outcome regardless. Those two and my hubby (and doggie) are the best things in my life.

I don't know which way I would go today, if I were to have another one...I hope not because I am way too old...hehe....but I would think about it and make a choice that would suit ME the best.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #55  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post

Perhaps it is a cultural difference. In the US, it seems epidurals and being on your back in the hospital is preferred. In many places of the world, most women recognize that being free, mobile, and feeling your body is the safest way to deliver. To each their own, but it frightens me how 'medical' the American system is and how much nurses push pitocin and epidurals.
Well duh, they can make $$$$$$$$$$$ off anyone who doesn't have excellent health insurance!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #56  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Well duh, they can make $$$$$$$$$$$ off anyone who doesn't have excellent health insurance!
Quite the opposite...people with a great insurance get the works, because it is guaranteed money better the insurance, more money.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #57  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Yeah, that makes sense I guess.

We like to take medicine anyway, speaking in giant generalizations as a country. A lot of people like to think you can even drug yourself out of obesity.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #58  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
In 13 years of caring for laboring women, first as a nurse and then as a midwife, I have never ever ever seen this at all. I would wager most labor and delivery nurses do not even know what type of insurance a woman may or may not have. The only reasons I note insurance types is because if a woman wants a tubal sterilization and she is receiving federal or state funding for her care, she will need a particular consent or if her insurance will not cover an indicated medication, I can help her find the most affordable option.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 203/193/155

Height: 5'2"

I was open to the idea of natural childbirth (no epidural) and then I got over 5cm dilated and was pretty much like: "Oh eff no, give me the epidural 5 minutes ago!" and then all was bliss again.
We did experience some negative side effects from the epidural, but I had been having contractions and had therefore been awake for 24 hours when daughter was born... pushed for 3 hours... I would not have made it without the epidural. I was told I might need a c-section as it was - that epidural allowed me a vaginal birth. So that and the sudden lack of screaming white hot pain was pretty awesome.

If you don't want to poop, give yourself an enema when you begin to labor.
The baby will poop at some point, that you can't stop.

And I don't recommend looking at the bill directly. You need a rig like for watching a solar eclipse.
thundahthighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #60  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Part of the problem with American way of birth is that women are not allowed to move as freely as they do almost everywhere else. It's a LOT harder to handle labor on your back, in a bed and if you add pitocin? That is NOT normal labor.

We make it so much harder on ourselves than need be.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote