3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Hair removal...ack! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/258034-hair-removal-ack.html)

Nadya 04-30-2012 12:47 PM

Hair removal...ack!

I used to use disposable razors but either I was using the wrong brand (I have no clue what my parents bought) or it just wasn't working out.

I then tried getting an electric razor and that didn't help either.

I gave Nair a shot and it burnt like **** and failed to remove all the hair. Afterward, I had some red bumps so I didn't attempt to remove the rest.

Waxing...tried it once and unless there's any way to do it without causing vast amounts of pain...just no.

What can I do to keep my pores from looking so big? I'm putting all this work into getting back in shape and now my biggest concern for my legs is the damn hair and pores. >.< My legs just never look right!

serendipity907 04-30-2012 06:01 PM

I've tried a few ways of hair removal like you (I have dark hair and kinda had a problem with big leg pores... Sounds odd), I usually just shave but I bought one which you buy replacement heads for since I scrape my legs to pieces with disposables. Most of the replacement ones have kinda bendy heads which reduce the chance for cuts and get a smoother finish.

From what I've tried, shaving and electric shavers work 100x better in the bath. I get a much closer shave and my legs are softer and pores aren't really visible anymore. That said not everyone wants to take baths, but personally I'm a convert :-)

You could also try epilating though. I used one for a while but I find even with exfoliation I got ingrown hairs. But some people do love it!

I wish i could use hair removal creams but they burn me too :p

LeilaJey 04-30-2012 06:06 PM

I hate disposable razors! Ack. I bought a Gillette Venus handle set when I was about 13 (I'm now 23) and I still have it. I just buy replacement heads. It works great for me. I only cut myself shaving once in my life so I'd say that's pretty good. Not sure about pores though, maybe you could use a toner?

philana 04-30-2012 06:14 PM

I second the Venus. No way of cutting yourself and it really goes smoothly. The disposable heads can be used like 6 to 10 times I think. They are a bit expensive, but I buy like a 12pack and it lasts me almost a year.

Goodluck!

Underwater 04-30-2012 09:43 PM

For legs and underarms, I use a man's Mach 3. It's worked for me for years now so I've just stuck with it.

For the hair "down there," I've found waxing is the only way to go for me. I can't deal with the itchy regrowth with shaving. I go every 6-8 weeks and once you get on a schedule, it's not that bad, especially when you consider the benefits :P

Riddy 04-30-2012 10:58 PM

I've been epilating for about 2 years now. I'll never be one of those people that goes 4 weeks between epilations - it's more like 4 days the way my hair grows. You have to exfoliate regularly. It hurts like H*** the first few times, or if you miss a couple sessions (more hairs grow in = more pain). But I like only having to fuss with my legs twice a week, and I can do it while I'm watching TV at night. Can't do that with shaving! :p And since the hair is removed at the root, my leg pores are MUCH less noticeable.

Nadya 04-30-2012 11:17 PM

Riddy, are you referring to waxing or an electric device? >.>

Riddy 04-30-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nadya (Post 4315067)
Riddy, are you referring to waxing or an electric device? >.>

I use an electric epilator.

reallystruggling 05-01-2012 08:04 AM

Venus WORKS WONDERS!!!
Had it for years and never cut myself once!
And sometimes if the blades start to get dull, using soap helps a lot. That way you can still shave before you get the chance to buy the replacement heads.

give it a try!

AbbySinthe 05-01-2012 09:48 AM

For legs & underarms, I second the Mach 3!

I used my husband's because I ran out of my own one day & have been using it ever since. I also agree that doing it in the bath after soaking your legs for 15 minutes or so helps incredibly. And moisturizing right after the bath. I never get bumps and the shave seems to last longer than when I do it in the shower..

Nadya 05-01-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riddy (Post 4315076)

Ahhh, okay. I'm such a newb. :D

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Natasha22 05-01-2012 08:11 PM

I use an electric epilator, but I shave before using it, because if the hair is too long, it will hurt like ****. As for the pores, doesn't tanning help? I'm a really hairy monkey, but my hair is lighter, so I don't have a problem with it. I do have a friend who has less hair than I do, but she's a brunette, and even when she is freshly shaved it looks like her hair is starting to grow because the pores are so visible. When she gets tanned, it looks better.

Nadya 05-02-2012 07:19 PM

I suppose I could try getting a tan sometime, I'm pretty pale but tanning doesn't seem very healthy. =/

GlitterDreams 05-04-2012 11:39 AM

I shave my legs in the winter and I use an electric epilator in the summer. The epilator hurts when you first do it, but you get used to it.

To shave I use the Venus embrace and I love it. I switched to the Schick quattro at one point for a change and I cut myself so much and the blade would get clogged easily, so I switch back to Venus.

I wax down there and the first time it hurt so much! But once you keep to a schedule (every 6 weeks) it's doesn't hurt as much as the first time anymore. Also I don't get itchy ingrown hairs like I did with shaving.

I tried laser hair removal on my armpits (10 sessions), but it didn't last and the hair grew back...such a waste of money.

For my armpits I started electrolysis and that hurts too, but I'm getting such great results that I might get my legs done too.

FattyFatFat 05-05-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riddy (Post 4315076)

Is that the thing with all the tiny tweezer like things in it that basically yanks the hair out as you trace over it?