General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
They haven't even found a proven link between HPV and cancer, OR proven that vaccine even prevents the kind of HPV that may or may not cause cancer.
^Can you cite your reference? Because I have several database full of medical journals that cite research showing the opposite.

"What causes cervical cancer?
It is necessary (although not sufficient) to have a persistent
infection of the cervix with a high-risk or oncogenic HPV
(hrHPV) virus to develop cervical cancer. It has been shown
that virtually all cervical cancers test positive for HPV DNA
and that the attributable risk of HPV for cervical cancer is
higher than smoking is for lung cancer and Hepatitis B virus
is for liver cancer.1
..."

Carter J, Ding Z, Rose B. HPV infection and cervical disease: a review. The Australian & New Zealand Journal Of Obstetrics & Gynaecology [serial online]. April 2011;51(2):103-108. Available from: MEDLINE, Ipswich, MA. Accessed April 23, 2012.

I'm actually in the process of doing a paper for school on this topic. Not the HPV vaccine, but health information on the web. Part of it I am focusing on misinformation. See you made a statement, I don't know where you read that since a quick journal search shows that your statement is wrong. But assuming I was just a random person looking for info, and not a nurse with access to these databases, I might believe your statement, and that may affect my health care decision. Heck, this whole thread is people's opinions on getting a vaccine. But how many people on this thread are even educated to advise that? This is great though. Helps further prove the point I'm making in the paper I'm writing.

Ugh, I can go on and on about this...that's why I chose it as my research topic...
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #17  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 View Post
^Can you cite your reference? Because I have several database full of medical journals that cite research showing the opposite.

"What causes cervical cancer?
It is necessary (although not sufficient) to have a persistent
infection of the cervix with a high-risk or oncogenic HPV
(hrHPV) virus to develop cervical cancer. It has been shown
that virtually all cervical cancers test positive for HPV DNA
and that the attributable risk of HPV for cervical cancer is
higher than smoking is for lung cancer and Hepatitis B virus
is for liver cancer.1
..."

Carter J, Ding Z, Rose B. HPV infection and cervical disease: a review. The Australian & New Zealand Journal Of Obstetrics & Gynaecology [serial online]. April 2011;51(2):103-108. Available from: MEDLINE, Ipswich, MA. Accessed April 23, 2012.

I'm actually in the process of doing a paper for school on this topic. Not the HPV vaccine, but health information on the web. Part of it I am focusing on misinformation. See you made a statement, I don't know where you read that since a quick journal search shows that your statement is wrong. But assuming I was just a random person looking for info, and not a nurse with access to these databases, I might believe your statement, and that may affect my health care decision. Heck, this whole thread is people's opinions on getting a vaccine. But how many people on this thread are even educated to advise that? This is great though. Helps further prove the point I'm making in the paper I'm writing.

Ugh, I can go on and on about this...that's why I chose it as my research topic...
I've also written a paper on this. I'll gather my sources for you now.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #18  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Please excuse my lazy citations. I'm supposed to be studying for finals and I don't have access to all my sources at home.

“no set of viral genes is consistently present or expressed in human cervical cancers. [345] … HPV does not replicate in the cancer cells.”

Latent Viruses and Mutated Oncogenes: No Evidence for Pathogenicity
Peter H. Duesberg and Jody R. Schwartz

"The theory behind the vaccine is sound: If HPV infection can be prevented, cancer will not occur. But in practice the issue is more complex. First, there are more than 100 different types of HPV and at least 15 of them are oncogenic. The current vaccines target only 2 oncogenic strains: HPV-16 and HPV-18. Second, the relationship between infection at a young age and development of cancer 20 to 40 years later is not known. HPV is the most prevalent sexually transmitted infection, with an estimated 79% infection rate over a lifetime5​,6 The virus does not appear to be very harmful because almost all HPV infections are cleared by the immune system.7​,8 In a few women, infection persists and some women may develop precancerous cervical lesions and eventually cervical cancer. It is currently impossible to predict in which women this will occur and why. Likewise, it is impossible to predict exactly what effect vaccination of young girls and women will have on the incidence of cervical cancer 20 to 40 years from now. The true effect of the vaccine can be determined only through clinical trials and long-term follow-up."

JAMA. 2009;302(7):795-796. doi: 10.1001/jama.2009.1215
The Risks and Benefits of HPV Vaccination
Charlotte Haug, MD, PhD, MSc

"Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey revealed a 26.8% overall HPV prevalence among US girls and women, with increasing prevalence each year for ages 14 to 24 years (44.8% for ages 20-24 years) followed by a gradual decline in prevalence through age 59 years (19.6% for ages 50-59 years).4 Although infection with high-risk HPV types is necessary for the development of cervical cancer (detected in 99% of cervical cancers),5​ high-risk types 16 and 18 have a relatively low prevalence (3.4% of all HPV infections),4 and not all women who are infected with high-risk HPV types will develop cervical cancer. Approximately 90% of women with new HPV infections clear the infection within 2 years"

JAMA. 2007;297(17):1921-1923. doi: 10.1001/jama.297.17.1921
Mandatory HPV Vaccination
Public Health vs Private Wealth
Lawrence O. Gostin, JD, LLD; Catherine D. DeAngelis, MD, MPH

"All drugs are associated with some risks of adverse reactions. Because vaccines represent a special category of drugs, generally given to healthy individuals, uncertain benefits mean that only a small level of risk for adverse reactions is acceptable. Furthermore, medical ethics demand that vaccination should be carried out with the participant's full and informed consent. This necessitates an objective disclosure of the known or foreseeable vaccination benefits and risks. The way in which HPV vaccines are often promoted to women indicates that such disclosure is not always given from the basis of the best available knowledge. For example, while the world's leading medical authorities state that HPV vaccines are an important cervical cancer prevention tool, clinical trials show no evidence that HPV vaccination can protect against cervical cancer. Similarly, contrary to claims that cervical cancer is the second most common cancer in women worldwide, existing data show that this only applies to developing countries. In the Western world cervical cancer is a rare disease with mortality rates that are several times lower than the rate of reported serious adverse reactions (including deaths) from HPV vaccination. Future vaccination policies should adhere more rigorously to evidence-based medicine and ethical guidelines for informed consent."

Tomljenovic L, Shaw CA
Human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine policy and evidence-based medicine: Are they at odds? [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
Ann Med 2011 Dec 22.

I'll leave it at that... because I don't want to get into this, but you asked for sources. I really should avoid these discussions.

I wish happiness and health to EVERYONE!!! <3
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #19  

My DD will not be getting this vaccine. There have been extreme side effects reported, even death. 71 deaths reported of people who have received the vaccine. Mostly female, some male. This came from the CDC website. They also state not all are confirmed to be due to the vaccine and blah, blah, blah. Tell that to the parents of these kids. There is website (just google) some mothers have created about this vaccine. Their children were completely fine until they received it.

I'm not against all vaccines. We get a flu shot every year and she has had all other vaccines. It has nothing to do with worrying about her having sex either. I just do not like the risks involving in this vaccine.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #20  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

My daughter hasn't had it and the last time the doctor asked (again) I told her if I change my mind I'll let you know...meantime please stop asking.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #21  
it's always something

One of my best friends had HPV as a teenager, and was diagnosed with cervical cancer as an adult. Another friend received HPV from her philandering husband while in her early 20s. She later developed cancer as well.

If I had a daughter, I would strongly recommend the vaccination - single or married.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 346/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2

I have had all 3 rounds of the hpv vaccine. (Just got my last one two months ago.) I have no negative feelings towards it and haven't experienced any side effects...

Edit: Not sure if this matters, but I'm 18. Got my first hpv shot when I was like...... 16 or 17..

Last edited by alyssarof2012; 04-24-2012 at 12:59 AM.
alyssarof2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
One of my best friends had HPV as a teenager, and was diagnosed with cervical cancer as an adult. Another friend received HPV from her philandering husband while in her early 20s. She later developed cancer as well.

If I had a daughter, I would strongly recommend the vaccination - single or married.
yes. I have friends who died from cervical cancer.

I vaccinated my daughter when she was 12 and my sons will get it too. I have been vaccinated too because found out that I dont have any HPV.

Upd: my son was diagnosed with autism too but it is proven now there is no connection between vaccines and autism.

Last edited by PrincessSophia; 04-24-2012 at 01:16 AM.
PrincessSophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #24  

just remember, you can have cervical cancer without having HPV. Cancer can develop anywhere on your body at any time. A friend of mine had cervical cancer and tested negative for HPV. It was caught early and she had a cone biopsy and has had no recurrence or problems since.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
Please excuse my lazy citations. I'm supposed to be studying for finals and I don't have access to all my sources at home.

“no set of viral genes is consistently present or expressed in human cervical cancers. [345] … HPV does not replicate in the cancer cells.”

Latent Viruses and Mutated Oncogenes: No Evidence for Pathogenicity
Peter H. Duesberg and Jody R. Schwartz

"The theory behind the vaccine is sound: If HPV infection can be prevented, cancer will not occur. But in practice the issue is more complex. First, there are more than 100 different types of HPV and at least 15 of them are oncogenic. The current vaccines target only 2 oncogenic strains: HPV-16 and HPV-18. Second, the relationship between infection at a young age and development of cancer 20 to 40 years later is not known. HPV is the most prevalent sexually transmitted infection, with an estimated 79% infection rate over a lifetime5​,6 The virus does not appear to be very harmful because almost all HPV infections are cleared by the immune system.7​,8 In a few women, infection persists and some women may develop precancerous cervical lesions and eventually cervical cancer. It is currently impossible to predict in which women this will occur and why. Likewise, it is impossible to predict exactly what effect vaccination of young girls and women will have on the incidence of cervical cancer 20 to 40 years from now. The true effect of the vaccine can be determined only through clinical trials and long-term follow-up."

JAMA. 2009;302(7):795-796. doi: 10.1001/jama.2009.1215
The Risks and Benefits of HPV Vaccination
Charlotte Haug, MD, PhD, MSc

"Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey revealed a 26.8% overall HPV prevalence among US girls and women, with increasing prevalence each year for ages 14 to 24 years (44.8% for ages 20-24 years) followed by a gradual decline in prevalence through age 59 years (19.6% for ages 50-59 years).4 Although infection with high-risk HPV types is necessary for the development of cervical cancer (detected in 99% of cervical cancers),5​ high-risk types 16 and 18 have a relatively low prevalence (3.4% of all HPV infections),4 and not all women who are infected with high-risk HPV types will develop cervical cancer. Approximately 90% of women with new HPV infections clear the infection within 2 years"

JAMA. 2007;297(17):1921-1923. doi: 10.1001/jama.297.17.1921
Mandatory HPV Vaccination
Public Health vs Private Wealth
Lawrence O. Gostin, JD, LLD; Catherine D. DeAngelis, MD, MPH

"All drugs are associated with some risks of adverse reactions. Because vaccines represent a special category of drugs, generally given to healthy individuals, uncertain benefits mean that only a small level of risk for adverse reactions is acceptable. Furthermore, medical ethics demand that vaccination should be carried out with the participant's full and informed consent. This necessitates an objective disclosure of the known or foreseeable vaccination benefits and risks. The way in which HPV vaccines are often promoted to women indicates that such disclosure is not always given from the basis of the best available knowledge. For example, while the world's leading medical authorities state that HPV vaccines are an important cervical cancer prevention tool, clinical trials show no evidence that HPV vaccination can protect against cervical cancer. Similarly, contrary to claims that cervical cancer is the second most common cancer in women worldwide, existing data show that this only applies to developing countries. In the Western world cervical cancer is a rare disease with mortality rates that are several times lower than the rate of reported serious adverse reactions (including deaths) from HPV vaccination. Future vaccination policies should adhere more rigorously to evidence-based medicine and ethical guidelines for informed consent."

Tomljenovic L, Shaw CA
Human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine policy and evidence-based medicine: Are they at odds? [JOURNAL ARTICLE]
Ann Med 2011 Dec 22.

I'll leave it at that... because I don't want to get into this, but you asked for sources. I really should avoid these discussions.

I wish happiness and health to EVERYONE!!! <3
Thank you! And I really mean it. If there's evidence proving otherwise, I am happy to read it and keep up with current info. Its so rare anyone one message boards actually reads from reputable sources. I would like to read these in full when I can. (Not now, got to get the kids to school) But I appreciate sources. I will say that there are sources saying that HPV does cause cervical cancer, obviously since I cited one. So, it would come down to having the time to read all the articles and compare them. But at least I now see there is a disagreement with in the medical community over this.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #26  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Well I haven't gotten this one but have most vaccines. Mainly, b/c there is no substitution for safe sex. If a person is being exposed to HPV, there are many other nasties they are being exposed to, including HIV for which there is no vaccine. My worry (beside the really bad side effects that have been reported) is that this will create a false sense of security about safe sex and cervical cancer and people will skip screenings b/c they have the HPV vaccine when it covers only few strains out of over 100 that can be found in cervical cancer. Unfortunately, I feel this vaccine was turned out to the public really quickly and promised a great deal without enough disclosure on side effects. Many people are being mass vaccinated in schools and aren't aware of the disabling side effects possible. I am also interested in what time will show with the side effects in proportion to other vaccines but since it's been released to the public, we won't know til we know en masse. I don't know if anyone remembers the Rotovirus vaccine issues but that initial vaccine had to be recalled b/c of the horrible things happening from it. New meds sometimes are the cutting edge instead of being on the cutting edge...maybe in time, the information will convince me that it's safe and effective but for now, it's too soon to tell IMO.

Last edited by 4star; 04-24-2012 at 08:06 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #27  

Height: 5' 3"

It is safe to get vaccinated in your early/mid 30's ?
MrsCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #28  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCake View Post
You could always ask your doc. Chances are you might have already been exposed and it may not do you much good but then, maybe it could....Your doc will probably give you the go ahead if you don't have any contradicting health issues and your immune system is not compromised.

Obviously, there are other ways to get cervical cancer so you should still be screened.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 170/156/135ish

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCake View Post
The studies were all done on women 26 and under, but there's no reason it wouldn't be safe in your 30s. The bigger issue is that women over 30 are more likely to have been exposed to HPV.

The biggest risk is to your wallet, as insurance companies won't cover vaccination outside of the age range for which the vaccine is approved.

Some more info on HPV: It's correct that there are multiple strains that cause cervical cancer. Generally, if a woman over 30 tests positive for one of the high risk HPV but has an otherwise normal Pap smear, she should have repeat testing in one year (otherwise, if all negative, it would be 3-5). If the lab tests for the specific strain (and many don't), there are two strains for which immediate colposcopy is recommended because the risk of cervical dysplasia is even higher with those two strains. Those are the strains that are included in the HPV vaccines.
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #30  

Height: 5' 3"

Thanks for the answers!
MrsCake is offline   Reply With Quote