how i see the whole issue of dieting

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • i'm a member on a number of forums and i talk to a lot of ppl around town (they've started asking me how i'm doing it).

right up there with religion and politics, "diet" has got to be a guaranteed match in the gas can. i can't believe how many ppl get their knickers in a knot over "low carb!!!" "low fat!!!" etc etc etc.

this is what i've started saying: the issue of diet is like a bowl of chili.

under ideal circumstances and from the point of chilidom, you have yer veggies, yer legumes, and yer meat all combining to form a nice bowl of hot and happy.

from the PoV of a vegetarian, however, not so much. so you remove the meat, and you still have a pretty decent bowl of chili: it's not ideal as chili goes; it's really not ideal as meatatarians go; but it's ideal for the vegetarian.

from the PoV of a meatatarian, you can remove the beans and leave the meat - it's not sufficient to lay on the altar of the chili gods and it's a nightmare for the vegetarian, but it's ideal for the meat-muncher and it's still a decent bowl of chili.

it hasn't turned into lasagna or beef stew or seafood chowder is what i mean.

diet is chili - meat, beans, or both, pick the one that works for you and keep your spoon out of other ppl's bowls.
  • Well put!
  • I hate it when people see what I am eating and they say in the most condescending tone (kind of like "here we goo again") "so your on the ___ diet now?"
  • LOL - that happened at the restaurant! i ordered a plain bowl of garden salad and the waitress said "oh, you're doing atkins?"

i said "no, actually. i'm having a bowl of salad"
  • The last time I was at Denny's I ordered the new Chicken Avocado sandwich with the "Dippable" Veggies (and barely touched the ranch dip). When I ordered the Fresh Seasonal Fruit (or whatever they call it) for dessert, the waitress made a comment in a rather condescending tone. Something like, "Oh my! Aren't we eating healthy today!"

I swear, my waitresses never want a tip.
  • People get so weirded out by people who eat healthy in a restaurant, but I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Who cares about what we eat, as long as we eat? It's not like THEY have to eat it.
  • you REALLY wanna freak them out?

say "i'll have the blue plate special at the usual price but could you pls just send out a half portion?"

the restaurants here serve STUPID amounts of food. there's no point taking it home because a) it tastes blah once cold and b) it's just not going to get eaten either by human or dog in this house. it never does.

i HATE ordering food and then getting this massive overflowing dustbin lid for a serving. it's too much for me to eat and i resent feeling obligated to eat just bec that's how much they decided to serve and i also hate the idea that what i don't eat will just get tossed out. i would even prefer if the waitress said oh, okay, hang on - HEY! BUDDY! YOU AT THE BACK! THIS LADY WANTS THE SAME THING - YOU GUYS WANNA SPLIT AN ORDER!?

that's why i like buffets but there, again, watch ppl's faces when you go up for one salad, one entrée, and one dessert and then just wait for everyone else to finish.
  • Thanks for the chuckle! You have a wonderful sense of huma ... so I'm not surprised to read that you are Canadian too. Now, what to do about that husband of yours ...
  • =p
  • Haha, very true! I get a lot of flak from my Italian family for eating smaller portions or opting for healthier choices. Even my boyfriend thinks it's "cute" when I order a salad at a restaurant. I don't judge others for their food choices so I expect the same in return. When I was a little heavier people would give me that "Oh, she's on a diet" look whenever I ordered something healthy, but I've been getting less of that now luckily!
  • Quote: pick the diet that works for you and keep your spoon out of other ppl's bowls.
    your quote, but I changed "one" to "diet"... and wallah! - I think you have a new sig!!!
  • LOL! i like it!
  • Now I am really craving a bowl of chili!
  • keeping kosher and being gluten free I always have built in excuses not to eat things. i don't get hassled. people really don't seem to care and they shouldn't.
  • I don't understand why people would be so interested in what I'm eating. Maybe I'm not even on a diet, maybe I was just craving baby carrots and fish, is that such a spectacular thing to want? I do get the occasional smiles from waitresses when I order the food, I know they just want to seem understanding and supportive of my "food choices", but I'd just prefer someone who wouldn't make it seem so out of the ordinary.