General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #1  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Lawn Questions

Does anyone know anything about gardening? I look online and find hugely complicated gardening advice, complete with Ph balances etc.

We are in southeast Alaska where summers are very rainy and chilly, temps in the 60s average with a few days up to maybe 80 high temp. Our lawn right now is mostly moss and weeds, with some grass thrown in. How do we get a better lawn?

I'm thinking to put down some of that moss-removing stuff (haven't researched it well yet) and then spray weed-killer, then till to aerate it, then spray grass seed and wait.

Any suggestions? I'm very new to gardening in general and don't have alot of time or money to put into things like this.
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Seek your local county extension office because they'll know what's best for you area.

Just google it. For example, say you live in "Apple County" right? So you would google "Apple County extension office" and you should hit it. Just use your own county in your search.

HTH!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 04-16-2012 at 01:09 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #3  
threenorns

personally speaking, i HATE grass - stuff's a waste of time. i prefer ground cover.

but moss usually indicates a highly acid soil with a high moisture content. killing it isn't going to help - you'll be stuck with an unsightly lawn. it's not a pest or a blight - it's a response to local conditions.

here's an article that explains it all: http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.ca/201...-in-lawns.html
Old 04-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #4  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

To be honest I'm not a fan of chemical sprays.. weeds are just the plants with the most zest for life, right? Maybe even cutting everything really short for a start.. would you plant some flowers?
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote