General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #16  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I also dye eggs year round to distinguish them from raw in the refrigerator, but I just add the colorant into the boiling water (because I don't care if all the eggs are the same color, I just want to make sure my husband and I don't confuse the cooked from the raw).

I'll throw in a couple tea bags, or the juice from canned beets, or a half packet of Kool-Aid.

If I want the eggs to absorb flavor, I'll add a lot of tea bags, soy sauce, and five spice powder (haven't tried it with KoolAid)and then simmer on low for several HOURS.

To make pretty marbeled eggs I'll boil the eggs, then roll the eggs to crack the shells. Then put them back into a strong tea and/or soysauce bath and simmer the eggs for an hour or so.

You could do that with kool aid too (boil them in a lighter colored KoolAid bath and then crackle the shell and simmer in a more concentrated bath or a different color), but I would wonder whether the flavor of the KoolAde would permeate the egg.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-31-2012 at 08:56 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThings View Post
I eat two eggs every morning for breakfast. Starting my day with protein is a must, they are easy to make and I like them so I have no plans of changing up my routine any time soon.

And I agree with the white egg thing. For a long time I got eggs from a lady my mom worked with who raised her own chickens. They were free-roaming (as in loose on a farm, not free-range-packed-into-an-overcrowded-egg-factory), ate left-over raw veggies and what ever they picked up roaming around. They were the best eggs. The women no longer works with my mom so I can't get eggs from her anymore but after one carton of the white store brand eggs, won't buy those again. The yolks were almost white they were so pale. They had no flavor at all. One of my local grocery stores carries a local producer who has free-range, humanely raised chickens so I fork over the extra money to buy those.

*Edited to note that I re-read your post and my soapbox stand on commercial, white eggs did not go along with what you were talking about. I saw you buy from a farmer's market and something about egg whites and my mind instantly went to commercial eggs. Sorry to get off subject

Ohhh my goodness yes those carton egg whites, heck even some of hte "organic" eggs are really no different from the regular eggs! I can't believe the price I used to pay for some eggs-when I look up how they really treat teh chickens (like Happy Hens grr not so happy) I flipped. "humanely" treated
I pay a little more for hte farmer's eggs, but I am happy to do so!

If anyone is interested-from the appetite for china site
"Chinese Tea Eggs – 茶叶蛋 (cháyèdàn)

6 medium to large
2 tablespoons or 2 tea bags of black tea or Pu’erh
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
4 pieces star anise
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorn (optional)
2 to 3 strips dried mandarin peel (optional)

Put eggs in a medium-sized pot with enough water to cover the eggs. Bring water to boil, then lower heat to simmer for 3 minutes. Remove eggs from heat and allow them to cool a bit before handling (running them under cold water does the trick quickly.) Take the back of a knife and crack eggs evenly all around.

Return eggs to the pot and add the rest of the ingredients. Bring liquid to boil again, then simmer for 1 to 3 hours, longer for a more intense flavor and color, adding water if level gets too low. Remove from heat, and serve as a snack or addition to rice or noodles."
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #18  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfyoozed View Post
i can't wait to dye easter eggs

no kids, but it means i can have a bunch of hard boiled eggs in the fridge and we'll know which ones are which!

check this out, dyed with kool aid - no vinegar!

http://learning2coupon.com/2012/03/u...e-easter-eggs/

a picture from that link:

so bright and uniform. i'm doing this
Those are beautiful! I have to try that!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #19  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I love eggs too!!! I get them delivered from a local farm. My kids get super excited when the "rainbow eggs" come! They are so much yummier than store eggs!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I also dye eggs year round to distinguish them from raw in the refrigerator, but I just add the colorant into the boiling water (because I don't care if all the eggs are the same color, I just want to make sure my husband and I don't confuse the cooked from the raw).

I'll throw in a couple tea bags, or the juice from canned beets, or a half packet of Kool-Aid.

If I want the eggs to absorb flavor, I'll add a lot of tea bags, soy sauce, and five spice powder (haven't tried it with KoolAid)and then simmer on low for several HOURS.

To make pretty marbeled eggs I'll boil the eggs, then roll the eggs to crack the shells. Then put them back into a strong tea and/or soysauce bath and simmer the eggs for an hour or so.

You could do that with kool aid too (boil them in a lighter colored KoolAid bath and then crackle the shell and simmer in a more concentrated bath or a different color), but I would wonder whether the flavor of the KoolAde would permeate the egg.
Okay, dying then sounds a lot more fun than my method for distinguishing boiled versus raw, however, for anyone else that ever needs to determine if an egg is hard boiled or not, if you set them on their side on a counter top and give them a spin, hard boiled eggs will spin smoothly, raw eggs won't...they just kind of wobble around.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #21  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThings View Post
Okay, dying then sounds a lot more fun than my method for distinguishing boiled versus raw, however, for anyone else that ever needs to determine if an egg is hard boiled or not, if you set them on their side on a counter top and give them a spin, hard boiled eggs will spin smoothly, raw eggs won't...they just kind of wobble around.

LOL! I've read about this method, but I could never remember which one spins smoothly and which one wobbles.

And I have to admit that "fun" is the biggest motivator for dying eggs, because I also use other methods, such as writing a "B" on the boiled eggs with a non-toxic Crayola marker. Also, unless I'm boiling a full dozen, I don't return boiled eggs to the egg carton, so there's an even easier method to distinguish boiled from raw. The raw ones are in a carton, and the boiled ones are in a bowl or my egg plate (with egg-shaped divets to nestle the eggs into, ideal for deviled eggs).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #22  

Height: 5'4"

I love eggs too! Most weeks I buy a carton or two and boil up whatever's left in a carton from the previous week. Then I peel them right away and keep them in a container in the fridge. Great, cheap, easy snack all week!

And by the way, don't ever buy the as seen on TV product Eggies. It doesn't work at all.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #23  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

I live on a farm and I have chickens and eat eggs EVERY day and I have never had any problems. Eggs that you buy in the store and fresh farm eggs taste totally different. I have not eaten store bought eggs in about 10 years.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I love eggs in most forms except hard boiled. The smell of the yoke makes me gag and I just can't get it down. Once the yoke has been altered, say, deviled egg style, I don't mind it.

My husband laughs at this but hey, the gag is automatic and can't be helped.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #25  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

We buy the five dozen Costco pack every week. I eat eggs, usually two per day, and my kids have two almost every morning as well. That is eight eggs, minimum, 5-6 days a week. We go through a lot
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #26  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy8888 View Post
I love eggs too! Most weeks I buy a carton or two and boil up whatever's left in a carton from the previous week. Then I peel them right away and keep them in a container in the fridge. Great, cheap, easy snack all week!

And by the way, don't ever buy the as seen on TV product Eggies. It doesn't work at all.
the eggies product worked for me, it was just a pain in the butt to put together and to take apart and clean... 4 parts x 6 pieces = 24 random parts in the box.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #27  

Height: 5'0"

I keep backyard chickens. I have one Maran mix that lays olive colored eggs. I also have an auracana mix that lays a pretty blue egg, when she lays.

I eat a ton of eggs! Scrambled, fried, boiled, deviled, pickled, quiche... you name it, and I eat it. I love eggs.

The great thing about eggs, IMHO, is that they work really well for adding veggies. Scramble some with veggies and yum. I load up my quiche with veggies, too. It's a great way for me to eat more vegetables (which I don't really like), as well as get some green stuff into my kids.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #28  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post

The great thing about eggs, IMHO, is that they work really well for adding veggies. Scramble some with veggies and yum. I load up my quiche with veggies, too. It's a great way for me to eat more vegetables (which I don't really like), as well as get some green stuff into my kids.
Oh my gosh yes! I love a poached egg with some veggies. Such a great breakfast! Eggs just about any way with just about any veggie is just awesome.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #29  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfyoozed View Post
the eggies product worked for me, it was just a pain in the butt to put together and to take apart and clean... 4 parts x 6 pieces = 24 random parts in the box.
Yeah, I decided it was so much easier to just peel boiled eggs than assemble the Eggies, wipe (not spray) oil into the thing, pour the egg into the Eggie (inevitably spilling some of the egg), hope it boils as well as they say, remove the egg, dissemble the Eggie and clean the 24 pieces.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #30  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post
I keep backyard chickens. I have one Maran mix that lays olive colored eggs. I also have an auracana mix that lays a pretty blue egg, when she lays.

I eat a ton of eggs! Scrambled, fried, boiled, deviled, pickled, quiche... you name it, and I eat it. I love eggs.

I have backyard chickens, too. We have auracanas, barred rock hens, buff orphingtons, black austrolorps, and Rhode Island reds. We also have one white giant hen. We have all hens now (16), but we used to have a rooster. He was mean as sin though, so we had to get rid of him. I didn't want him attacking my children.

They are putting out about 8 or 9 eggs a day now that it's spring. I'm guessing we will have to start selling some here and there.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote