My only tip for you is if you haven't already played with one for more than 5 minutes, I would go and do that. I got rats a few years ago and it turns out I'm highly allergic. Like laying-on-the-floor-considering-calling-911-because-I-can't-breathe allergic. It never even occurred to me that I might have an allergy because I didn't have any bad ones before this. It broke my heart to have to give my girls away. But the funny thing is it took MONTHS for the allergy to emerge. I had them for 9 months and the first several months they were fine for me. But when they transitioned from babies to adults that's where my problems started. It started with itchiness, then I started getting hives, then I started sneezing, then I got itchy eyes, then the hives got horrendous, then my throat started closing up if I was in the same room too long/if I touched them. Took about 4 months to go from the mild allergy to the severe one. And now I'm just allergic to any rodent, I'm pretty bummed about it lol.
New pets are super exciting though, I love doing all of the research. Have fun and good luck!