Camera recommendations?

• I currently own a Canon PowerShot A590 IS (8MP/4X zoom) and I've owned it for at least four years now. It has served me well, but I dropped it this fall and while it still works, there is no guarantee that the picture will be in focus.

So I'm looking for a new camera.

I'm looking for something of a slightly better quality, but still a point/click camera. Any suggestions?
  • Canon Powershot SX150IS 12X optical zoom 14.1MP.
    Awesome camera I owned it until it got stolen but it's small and takes amazing photo's. Only about 230.00$ and worth it!
  • Mine is a CanonSX20IS 20x optical zoom and 12.1 MP. Beautiful camera, got mine two years ago today exactly! lol Paid $360.
  • Nikons are the best buy for the money right now (always have been) There are better cameras just more expensive again BEST BUY not BEST. Anyway they are also very user friendly if you are looking for a credit card camera (digital but not SLR) go for the Nikon Coolpix 5200. If you are looking for the DSLR (digital SLR) than either D-40 or 50 is your best bet. If you are looking for a 35-mm SLR(don't get a 35-mm if it isn't SLR) than you want a FM-10

Plus no matter what the Nikkor Lens are better than any other out there I don't care what anyone else tells you
  • Nikons are the best buy for the money right now (always have been) There are better cameras just more expensive again BEST BUY not BEST. Anyway they are also very user friendly if you are looking for a credit card camera (digital but not SLR) go for the Nikon Coolpix 5200. If you are looking for the DSLR (digital SLR) than either D-40 or 50 is your best bet. If you are looking for a 35-mm SLR(don't get a 35-mm if it isn't SLR) than you want a FM-10

Plus no matter what the Nikkor Lens are better than any other out there I don't care what anyone else tells you
  • I vote for nikon or olympus, I have them both & they take quality pics!
  • That depends on a few things.

Price Range
    What kind of pictures do you take...Landscape, people only...etc (in reference to zoom and extra gizmos)
    And how big you want the camera.

Personally I love taking landscaping photos on the side.....So right now I have a Panasonic Lumix, it has 10x zoom but is still a compact camera. I like it a lot but I am going to upgrade this year to the Nikon compact camera that has 18 times zoom!

Nikon - Coolpix S9100 12.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black

You can google it for pics.

But if you don't need ridiculous zoom you can find a lot of good cameras. The more megapixels the better for blowing up pictures.
  • Thank you for the recommendations! I think I need to actually see some of these cameras in person, as I look at the online pics and can't really get a feel for them. So I'm taking the names you all have listed and will be going on a scavenger hunt this weekend.

Thanks!
  • Awesome! We have the exact same camera--I have a A590IS also and it's almost 4 years old. It's a nice little camera, but there are some things that annoy me. Instead of buying a new point and shoot, I'm saving up for a low end DSLR.

So, I'd think about your old camera and what you liked/didn't like about it. My two major issues with mine are: (1) the tiny zoom and (2) low-light pictures. I don't know about you, but it seems like whenever I use my camera, the lighting has to be perfect, or the picture won't turn out.

My dad just got a Canon Powershot SX130 IS last summer. It's a high end point and shoot. I personally like it a lot better than the A590--it's got a great zoom (12x!) and takes much better low light (it even has a special setting for it). It also has a lot of really cool modes, but has an Automatic, Program and Manual mode like the A590 (I use those most often). The only thing it doesn't have that the A590 does is a viewfinder, but then again, it's getting much harder to find a camera that does these days. It's LCD screen is big to make up for it. Oh, and since this model has been out for a year, you can get a good price on it ($140 on Amazon). My dad paid $200 for it when he bought it, but the model was still very new. It's a happy medium--buy a model too early and you pay too much for it, buy it too late after it's been discontinued and you also pay too much for it. (The A590 IS is currently $400 on Amazon)

And as I'm sure you will find, some people are just Canon people and some people are just Nikon people. They both make good cameras. I personally have had great experience with my Canon, so I won't be switching loyalties. You really should check out the SX130 IS though. It takes great pictures and I would buy it myself if I didn't already have a point and shoot camera. I find myself wishing that I would break mine, so I'd have an excuse to upgrade. It's going to be while before I have enough money for that DSLR!