General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #1  

Default High School Ice Hockey For Girls ... Dangerous?

A friend's 15 yr. old GD has developed a sudden interest in hockey. She is slender, small frame but an excellent ice skater and snow skiier, swimmer, etc. She has never picked up a hockey stick, but is wondering how often girls get hurt, etc., and do big, burley girls rule the sport? Any opinions here? Thanks~
elsiemoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #2  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

I would have to say it's probably no more dangerous for a girl than a boy, but, that being said, hockey is a dangerous sport, just like football or wrestling can be. I don't have the links, but there have been 2 high school hockey injuries in the last couple weeks in Minnesota that were bad to the extent that MN has changed the rules on penalties for certain acts during play (I think details may be available on yahoo news or try a MN news station website-our local KIMT may still have info). I know that the boy injured is paralyzed from the neck down and the girl injured in a different game may be paralyzed from the waist down.

Any sport is dangerous for any player if rules are not followed and safety is not the most important thing on EVERYONE'S minds, including players, coaches, and officials.
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #3  

Thank you, ronni62. Answers my question ...
elsiemoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #4  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Hockey is dangerous and injury prone, it is a contact sport and an aggressive one, at that. Now, there's nothing wrong with danger, as everything has a certain inherent level of risk. The issue of identifying the possible extent of that risk, knowing what to expect, and then evaluating (parent AND child) whether the risk is worth the reward of participation. There are female hockey leagues and I cannot say that, at the amateur level, they are less dangerous than the comparable male league. And it certainly isn't on the same level of risk as, say, driving while talking on a cell or jogging along a road at night. The latter two have much higher rates of severe injury per capita than any youth sport, including martial arts, and yet most people don't think twice about engaging in the behaviors repeatedly.

I add that to say that while hockey IS risky, there are many rewards to participation and a lot of enjoyment to be had, and it doesn't behoove anyone to overstate the risks of a sport while underestimating the risks of just living life. On the grand scale of things, severe injury from hockey at a youth level and even into collegiate just isn't that high. I say that as one of the figure skaters who watched the hockey teams in the other rink, and as a mom who understands the desire to minimize risk for my child. The thing is, short of bubble wrap or complete avoidance there ARE injuries incurred in sports, but that should not automatically discount the entire endeavor, wholesale. A thin girl might be more rattled around by a hit for a larger girl or boy, but she may also be quicker and avoid a fair bit of contact, too. You just never know
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote