3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   embarrassing question... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/250088-embarrassing-question.html)

Emerald Eyes 01-08-2012 11:21 PM

embarrassing question...

for some reason...I cannot poop to save my life lately!

I am SO embarrassed, but I desperately need some help. My husband told me that if I haven't gone by Wednesday he wants me to see a Dr.

I started my weight loss journey in late October....I've lost around 12 or 13lbs, and I feel great....but....

the past several weeks, I just can't have a BM. I haven't changed anything from what I've been doing the whole time I've been trying to lose weight and I used to go at least once a day...sometimes twice.

The only thing that changed is that I added some exercise. I was just getting used to calorie counting at first, and as soon as I added in regular exercise, I cannot lose any weight and I just hold poop in (I'm sure they are related at least a little bit).

I've heard it's common when you start exercising to stall a bit on weight loss while your body gets used to the added work outs because your muscles hold onto fluids or something like that..... but is no BM a common result of starting an exercise routine? seems like it should work opposite from what i'm doing.

The only time I've had a BM in the past week and a half is when I broke down and used a saline enema Friday night. It is now Sunday night and I haven't gone since.

any thoughts? suggestions? anything? please!

KatTheAmazon 01-08-2012 11:41 PM

I don't want to scare you but when this happened to my MIL it turned out to be colon cancer.

Exercise helps move things around not the opposite.

Going to a doctor is the best option.

TiffNeedsChange 01-08-2012 11:42 PM

Constipation solutions

These are some things that I used to do when I was pregnant and got constipated frequently:
-drink prune juice
-drink plenty of water
-eat fiber but make sure you aren't eating too much fiber because it can constipate you (drinking plenty of water can offset this)
-try a laxative or stool softener that you take by mouth, there are some really gentle ones out there
-drink something with a little caffeine, that will sometimes get things moving (also make sure to drink plenty of water since caffeine is a diuretic)
Hope these help, if I think of anything else I'll let you know! Being constipated can be truly miserable!

Emerald Eyes 01-09-2012 12:11 AM

thanks for the responses!
I'll be honest...I'm worried because I am eating enough fiber, and drinking plenty of water. I've tried miralax and stool softeners and haven't had any success with them...

Tomorrow I'm going to eat just fruits, veggies, and straight proteins...no wheats or anything like that to see if that makes a difference. A friend who is a nurse suggested that I may be getting an intolerance to gluten.

Sigh....I am getting miserable. I will go to the Dr if nothing has changed by Wednesday.

chickadee32 01-09-2012 12:18 AM

A random question - are you taking pain killers (the prescription kind - codeine, percocet, vicodin, etc.) for anything lately? If so, they can greatly disrupt bowel movements and, for myself at least, cause severe constipation. Regarding exercise - In some people or with certain conditions, exercise can impact bowel movements due to abdominal inflamation, but not typically to the point of not being able to have bowel movements at all.

Regardless, when constipation gets so bad that an enema is necessary, it's time to see a doctor. Please make an appointment sooner rather than later. I wouldn't wait until Wednesday.

In the meantime, up your fiber consumption, drink lots of water, and use a stool softener. Those things won't provide any immediate relief, but they will likely help after a few days of using them consistently. Edit: oops, sorry, I see you're doing this already. Keep doing it if you can. Once you get the lack of BM's resolved in an immediate sense, they will still help ease you back into more regular BMs.

I'm really sorry. Constipation that bad is really awful, I know.

Emerald Eyes 01-09-2012 12:26 AM

nope :( no different medication that what i always take (just allergy meds and bc--that i've been on for almost 2 years).

I don't have a family practice Dr (the one I did use just moved to a different town), so I'm currently asking my friends for suggestions. I do want to get in ASAP because I'm fairly miserable...

Thanks again...I'm gulping down water right now....and eating prunes. *sigh*

mandalinn82 01-09-2012 12:26 AM

Any change in meds? Did you start taking a vitamin? Are you drinking more water to compensate for your exercise?

Nesslee 01-09-2012 12:32 AM

When I had surgery to remove a kidney stone, I was takign tons of pain meds, nobody told me that it would cause constipation. I then spoke with my doctor and she gave me some pills to soften my stools. They didn't really do much. Then, embarrassingly enough, I cried and my husband assisted in me taking a enema. After about mayeb 15 minutes I finally went, wheww.....

shcirerf 01-09-2012 01:08 AM

To the title of the post. There are no embarrassing questions.

If you don't ask, how will you ever know?

j0lamo01 01-09-2012 01:20 AM

I agree with the others who have said to see a doctor. No matter what is causing it, this is a very serious medical condition that a doctor will be able to help.

bandit bear 01-09-2012 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nesslee (Post 4163284)
Then, embarrassingly enough, I cried and my husband assisted in me taking a enema. After about mayeb 15 minutes I finally went, wheww.....

If that's not love, I don't know what is. You have a truly awesome husband!

DietDawn 01-09-2012 03:45 AM

you could try senna, other laxatives, fruit, weetabix etc but if that doesn't work I'd say go to your doctor tomorrow, don't make yourself wait till wednesday constipation can make you feel very ill! xx

bargoo 01-09-2012 08:03 AM

Prune juice is an age old remedy for constipation.

KatMarie 01-09-2012 08:14 AM

I just went thru this. An enema wouldn't even make me go. I started to get pain in my back and nauseous. Had to go to emergency room on Christmas day. Turns out I had diverticulitis. Put me on two strong antibiotics and liquid diet for several days and all better.
I don't think I'd eat any more fiber if I were you, might just plug you up more! Maybe you have a blockage? You do need to see a doctor. I know how miserable you are right now. A heat pad on your stomach can be comforting and maybe a liquid diet until you get to the doctor. Please don't do anymore laxatives until you see a doc.

berryblondeboys 01-09-2012 09:18 AM

You may or may not be constipated. I only poop every 3 days when I'm eating right and exercising. When I go, I'm not straining, there is no blood in the stool and the poop isn't hard and big. I simply don't need to go more than that. Now, when I eat a lot of food (like doubling my "dieting" intake) I might need to go every day or every other day, but with my 1500 calorie diet, it's every three or so days. I eat tons of fiber, drink a ton. But I am not constipated.

Here is so reading/definitions of what is constipation: http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disor...s-constipation

http://ibdcrohns.about.com/od/dailylife/a/normalbm.htm

http://women.webmd.com/pharmacist-11/digestive-problems