Bacteria Vaginosis Cure?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm not sexually active, but I've had what I'm diagnosing as bacteria vaginosis for the past couple of years. I was tested by my doctor a few years ago to see if anything was wrong, but the tests came back fine. The talks about my problem never developed any further so I've just been suffering with it. But now, I'm fed up with it and want to get rid of it. I've read that if you fill up a tampon with hydrogen peroxide and then insert it, the BV will go away. Or if you do the same with yogurt. I'm not sure how reliable these methods are, or if they're even safe. I'm not even sure where to begin with these methods either-- what kind of hydrogen peroxide? What kind of yogurt?

Anyone have any advice for how to get rid of this?
  • I think you should go to a different doctor who is willing to help. This isn't something you want to try and self-diagnose or treat with home remedies without knowing what you're doing. You could end up making it a lot worse. Good luck!!
  • That's true. I just figured that this is what it is because I have all of the symptoms. I'm just so sick of dealing with this and from reading things online, it looks like a doctor will just prescribe an antibiotic, the symptoms will go away for a week, and then come right back. So, I thought that a home remedy would be the best way to go.
  • I think it's important to treat the cause for long term solutions. I'm not familiar with this diagnosis, but I have heard that a lot of bacteria can develop (in the female region department) from an imbalance of yeast in the body? Is this somehow related? Since you mentioned yogurt, I thought there could be a relation. If so, you may want to look into Body Ecology Diet. I've heard from some very reliable people that it has helped them cure long term yeast issues. Just a thought. I wish you all the best. Find a doctor or naturopath that you really trust.
  • Self diagnosis is never a good thing, I've thought I was pregnant about half a dozen times because I had all the symptoms...and all the tests were always negative. But I do feel you on this one. I have had some of those symptoms too, have you ever tried using Represh? It's this gel thing that helps balance vaginal flora, I used it and noticed a big difference! They also have a pro-biotic pill that helps all the time(the gel lasts 3 days). Yogurt works if you have a yeast infection, but if it's bacterial then it needs an antibiotic. If the doctor said you don't have it then you probably don't. Try the Rephresh and see if it works. Also using Summer's eve products like the feminine wash can help to control odor producing bacteria externally. It's not good to use all the time but you can get a douche/enema bag from the drugstore and use the douching applicator with some warm water and white vinegar(this is better than getting the prepared ones) and that is excellent for cleaning you out since vinegar is a natural disinfectant. Do that and then use the Rephresh and you should see a difference.
  • Addtionally if you ever get a yeast infection, take a clove of garlic(make sure it's big so you can find it later) and dip it in unflavored, aka plain yogurt that has live and active cultures in it, insert it before you go to bed, and your yeast infection will be gone in a day or 2.
  • I'm not sure how to help, but I get chronic, treatment resistent yeast infections so I feel your pain! Maybe ask to see an ob/gyn?
  • I would say stop reading all the online forums and experiences that people have with this problem. Sometimes the internet may help us with these issues - but only very rarely.

If one doesn't have a deep understanding of physiology and the body itself, then everything they suggest is invalid.

I think you should go to an obgyn and get proper testing and medication. It would make you feel a whole lot better.

Good luck!
  • The only way to truly know if it's bacterial vaginosis is to get a swab taken and have it examined under a microscope. If that's the diagnosis, antibiotics are needed--and it's usually a week's treatment.
  • Your GP or gynecologist will take a swap from your cervix (totally painless), send it to a lab to find which mircoorganism is the culprit and test antibiotics on a culture.

Then he will prescribe you the best antibiotic for your case (or anti-fungal if it is trush which is more common and can too sometimes smell bad).

You should ABSOLUTELY go to your doctor because bacterial infections can get way out of hand if not corrected and you might get a more health-threatening problem from it. Plus it isn't pleasant for potential sexual partners.

Also how did you self-diagnose? Do you know what healthy discharge should look like? Does your discharge smell like rotten fish? Is it like cottage cheese?

Healthy discharge varies during your cycle and from woman to woman. Some have trasparent, some creamy white and some even yellow discharge. It can be thicker right after your period and during ovulation etc etc. You cannot self-diagnose it and if your doctors say it is ok then it probably is.
  • I'd be careful sticking anything not prescribed in your vajazzle. I believe that yoghurt on tampons can cause toxic shock syndrome and I certainly wouldn't be putting hydrogen peroxide anywhere near something so sensitive!

Best advice is see an Obgyn, they can prescribe you what you need and give you sensible treatment. I'd be really wary of using something you read on the interwebs.
  • Sorry, this post is going to sound very TMI-ish and overly-blunt... I apologize in advance!

Assuming that bacterial vaginosis is actually what is causing the symptoms you're having...

Some women's bodies are much more sensitive to things that perturb the normal vaginal flora and fauna, and for BV and especially reoccurring BV, just about the worst thing you can do is try to apply home remedies.

BV needs to be diagnosed by a doctor (all you have to do is pee in a cup, and they can test from your urine) and treated with appropriate antibiotics, and doing so doesn't meant the infection will come back immediately or at all. There are different methods of administering the antibiotics (oral pills as well as vaginal suppositories in the form of gels), and if one doesn't eliminate the infection or the infection reoccurs, your doctor can prescribe another. If the infection continues to come back, there is also the option of a single, very strong dose of antibiotics taken orally that will likely rid your body of just about ANY infection you might be harboring. If you end up needing to go that route though (it probably shouldn't be what you try first, but is an option if the infection continues to reoccur), don't be surprised if you end up with a yeast infection that then needs to be treated as well. The normal yeast and bacterial in the vagina exist in a balance, and when you kill too much of one it makes it easy for the other to grow out of control.

Things you CAN do in terms of self-care to try to prevent future infections include avoiding baths and hot tubs, cleaning the area just with water or only a VERY mild soap, preferably unscented (just water is the best recommendation, but I can't bring myself to abide by that!!), and never, ever douching. If/when you are sexually active, urinate and shower as soon after intercourse as feasible, as semen is notorious for messing up the normal pH of the vagina. If you currently use any sex toys, either sterilize them or discard them and purchase new ones, as the bacteria can be reintroduced otherwise.

After a first BV infection at age 22 I dealt with it reoccurring for several years, and so have some experience in terms of dealing with it and figuring out what works to keep it from coming back. I know how awful it can be to contend with when it seems to come back again and again. See a doctor who will actually listen to you and is willing to help you. If reoccurring BV is truly the issue that is causing your symptoms, then there are definitely treatments that may work to eliminate it. I'm sorry you're dealing with this and I hope you can get things resolved.
  • Say it with me..nothing up your vajayjay without a your doctors okay. lol I cringed at the idea of putting peroxide up there! Can people really do that? If your doctor won't help you, than find another!!
  • After miscarrying and getting infections, BV was something I had to deal with. The doctor gave me some oral medicene which kept it away for a while but then it would come back. The medication got expensive not having any insurance so I asked my doctor and she actually recommended a product called VhEssentials BV Treatment. It's about 25 dollars at walgreens. It has great reviews. I had to use two rounds of it but BV hasn't came back since. It is really strong and kills off too much so most women do end up with a yeast infection so I would suggest buying some monistat or off brand to take right after you use this.

Here's a link: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/vh-...t#BVRRWidgetID

I would highly suggest trying to find a doctor or gynecologist who would be willing to help you, however, if you're the type whose gonna do what you want and are gonna try "homeopathic solutions," this was recommended by my doctor, did wonders, and you don't need a prescription for it.
  • I used to have frequent irritations and the doctor wanted to prescribe me a monthly oral anti-fungal. He *didn't* tell me about drinking less coffee and more water, and the hygene approaches recommended by chickadee. DO get a new doctor who will listen to your needs!