3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   The Hunger Games! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/249879-hunger-games.html)

FatToFitWife 01-06-2012 09:38 AM

The Hunger Games!

Anyone read this series? I'm obsessed :) I just started the last one ... Sooo addictive!!

DesertTabby 01-06-2012 10:03 AM

I have! Admittedly the second book didn't strike me as much as the first but the third one was just right. :D Its a pretty cool setting and I'm really curious about the movie...

Amy8888 01-06-2012 10:42 AM

Yes, I read them all last March when I was newly pregnant and reading was the only form of entertainment I could stand. I was glad I didn't start reading them until the whole series was out, I didn't have to wait forever between books! I can't wait for the movie to come out in March.

ddc 01-06-2012 10:45 AM

My 12 yr old daughter is wanting to read these. Do you think they're appropriate for that age?

Quiet Ballerina 01-06-2012 11:19 AM

I got them for Christmas! Read part of the first one and asked Santa for all 3. :) Haven't started reading them yet though...hopefully soon!

time2lose 01-06-2012 12:08 PM

I listened to the audio versions while traveling and greatly enjoyed them. ddc, they could be disturbing for a sensitive 12 year old.

Rapunzel 01-07-2012 02:56 PM

My twin and her husband are reading these as suggested by a friend of theirs, and they're completely obsessed too! It has definitely been added to my list. But I've got two very thick books to get through, and another 3-book series to read that are in line first! It feels so good to know sometimes that you have too many books you want to read!!

audri8301 01-07-2012 03:02 PM

I teach middle school and have been told over and over again by students and other teachers that I needed to read these over the last couple of years. I kept putting it off, but finally picked them up over Thanksgiving. I couldn't put them down, blew through all three of them in five days. Now I can't wait for the movie - it looks like it might actually do the books justice. I think Catching Fire was my favorite of the three.

LittleKitty 01-07-2012 03:02 PM

I put off reading these for awhile. Everyone said that as a Harry Potter lover I would be hooked but I wasn't convinced. I had heard that the setting was dystopian and I wasn't sure if I would like it. I started to read it though and I was hooked! The books were so captivating that I couldn't put them down. I read all three within a week and loved them! I highly highly recommend them!

wanzulfikri 01-07-2012 08:44 PM

I heard about this book from my friend and he said it tops the amazon list.

I want to buy it but I had not visited the bookstore for a week now.

Well, maybe I will read the reviews to know how awesome it is.

rainydays 01-07-2012 09:35 PM

Really enjoyed the series, and I'm also interested to see if the movies do it justice!

rainydays 01-07-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddc (Post 4159324)
My 12 yr old daughter is wanting to read these. Do you think they're appropriate for that age?

I think they might be a little too upsetting for a 12 y/o. I suppose it depends on the child though.

Gogirl008 01-07-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddc (Post 4159324)

I also read the series and LOVED them. I was suprised to see a copy of Hunger Games on the desk of a student in my sons 5th grade class. I mentioned this to the teacher. She said that she talks to the girl as they read it and that the violence in the book is only as scary as the frame of reference of the reader. Makes sense to me. My daughter read the books at age 12 and also loved them.

If you haven't read them, DO! They're great. Then you can see if you think they're appropriate.

Can't wait to see if the movie lives up to to books!

shepherdgirl 01-08-2012 12:22 PM

Awesome! I love books and am glad to have something to talk about besides weight loss (not that it's bad to talk about, but it's good to have variety).

I've read the Hunger Games and enjoyed them--actually I listened to the audiobooks. I feel like they could have been a lot shorter though--Katniss seems to talk about the same stuff over and over. But they were a fun story all the same.

Amber1011 01-08-2012 01:56 PM

Love the Books. Catching Fire is my personal favorite. I'm currently going through the series again by listening to the audio books with my husband.

About the 12 year old - I don't personally think it would be too much. The comment about frame of reference is true. It isn't like the author describes in too much detail all the particulars of the violence. I think its vague enough to be appropriate. I also think it could teach a lot of useful lessons.