General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-24-2011, 02:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default A tool for the pool (and for crochet and knitting too)

I bought a knitting row counter (pic below, $1.99 at JoAnn Fabrics) to wear on a cord while I swim, to count laps.

Today the lifeguard asked me what I was wearing and what I was using it for (he saw me fiddling with it between laps).

I showed it to him, and told him where I'd gotten it, and he thought it was so cool.

This is what it looks like (it's hollow like a spool, so you can thread a cord through it, and wear it around your wrist or neck, or pin the cord to your swim suit)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (2.4 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by kaplods; 09-24-2011 at 02:24 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 278.8/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

That's a really great idea! If I ever take up swimming I can use my row counter to keep track. Multipurpose!
megmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #3  

Great idea! I'm thinking about how else that could be used in exercise. I bet there are lots of possibilities....
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #4  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I use those for knitting, they're great! esp if the pattern is a little more complicated.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #5  

Great idea!

I've been meaning to pick one up to help with more complicated patterns, but I'd probably forget to use it for an easy row, then lose track of where I actually am...that said, it actually seems better suited for your idea!

I think people could use it at gyms for keeping track of sets, especially beginner-folk that don't have a routine developed.
ArcticFrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

Great tool! Neat!
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I decided to use it for the pool, because I have short-term memory and memory retrieval problems due to my fibromyalgia (and or the medications I use to control it).

One small distraction, and my short-term memory is wiped (I'm like Dorey in Finding Nemo).

I would be mentally rehearsing the lap number in my head, and a stray thought would wipe it out.

I used to have an almost photographic memory, so it's really weird and disturbing to need assistance. I could just swim and not count, but I do like being able to gauge my progress.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-26-2011 at 06:45 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #8  

Oh my, why didn't I think of that? My pool is outdoors and I was literally moving small rocks from one pile to another I was trying to think of something like a baseball pitch counter, but it would rust.
I have a row counter sitting right here in my knitting supplies, but now I will have to wait until next year to use it, we just closed our pool this week. Thanks for the idea, I like to let my mind wander while I swim and I lose track of my laps constantly! Hmmm, maybe this could help me keep track of intervals on the treadmill too. . .
jomatho is offline   Reply With Quote