Alterations question - taking in pants

• Anyone out there had their pants taken in when they lost weight? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting mine done (or if they will even do them). I had bought a couple really cute capris and pants a few months back (sizes 12 and 14). I'm now down to a 8/10 and will probably be a solid 8 by the time I'm done losing. Is there a limit to how much a tailor or seamstress will take in a pair of pants. Or is it just not worth it at a certain point?
  • I went and had a few pairs of my work pants taken in a bit just to avoid constantly buying new clothes because I simply couldn't afford it. Well I'd say after a good 2 sizes in it becomes not worth it because clothes just simply don't fit the same way anymore.
    That's how it was for me anyways. I also lose weight in weird places first so that could be why they didn't work out for me. I'd say get a few things taken in and see if you like the difference.
  • If you take it to a tailor, be sure he/she takes in both the side and the inner leg seams or they will not hang properly. If he/she's any good, she'll know the method to do this that will shorten the crotch.

I can do my own alterations but now don't bother unless the pants are expensive. If you can replace them with cheaper versions, go for it.
  • I've taken in a few of my own pants. It's not terribly hard to do, but I only went in about two sizes. Beyond that I wasn't sure if I could take them in properly.

I'm sure a skilled tailor would be able to do much better, but I suppose you'd have to look at the cost and see if it's worth it. Would it be cheaper to look at thrift stores, consignment shops, clearance racks, etc.?