General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #1  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Alterations question - taking in pants

Anyone out there had their pants taken in when they lost weight? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting mine done (or if they will even do them). I had bought a couple really cute capris and pants a few months back (sizes 12 and 14). I'm now down to a 8/10 and will probably be a solid 8 by the time I'm done losing. Is there a limit to how much a tailor or seamstress will take in a pair of pants. Or is it just not worth it at a certain point?
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

I went and had a few pairs of my work pants taken in a bit just to avoid constantly buying new clothes because I simply couldn't afford it. Well I'd say after a good 2 sizes in it becomes not worth it because clothes just simply don't fit the same way anymore.
That's how it was for me anyways. I also lose weight in weird places first so that could be why they didn't work out for me. I'd say get a few things taken in and see if you like the difference.
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

If you take it to a tailor, be sure he/she takes in both the side and the inner leg seams or they will not hang properly. If he/she's any good, she'll know the method to do this that will shorten the crotch.

I can do my own alterations but now don't bother unless the pants are expensive. If you can replace them with cheaper versions, go for it.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I've taken in a few of my own pants. It's not terribly hard to do, but I only went in about two sizes. Beyond that I wasn't sure if I could take them in properly.

I'm sure a skilled tailor would be able to do much better, but I suppose you'd have to look at the cost and see if it's worth it. Would it be cheaper to look at thrift stores, consignment shops, clearance racks, etc.?
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote