Teen gettings bands, then braces ... tell me about it?

• I will be with my DGD when she has bands put on her teeth next week, then braces go on the next. I will leave the day after the braces go on, and she will be alone during the day for three days. A friend has said that she will have some pain, and will need Tylenol, etc. for a couple of days. Should someone be with her or not, as she is almost 14.

If your teen has experienced this, can you tell me about it? Thank you!
  • as long as she can properly follow the dentist's instructions and can give herself appropriate doses of tylenol, i think she will be fine...will you be home at night? does she live with you?

it depends on the type of child also...i personally wouldnt trust my 13 year old son to follow dentist instructions although i would somewhat trust him to give himself medication...but he is diagnosed ADHD and focusing/remembering has always been a challenge for him
  • I experienced it when I was a teen, so it was about 8 years ago. It's a very uncomfortable experience, unlike anything I've ever felt otherwise. It's kind of like an ache or even an achy itch in the teeth, and they're very sensitive. She'll want to have access to foods she likes that don't use the teeth too much- although she will be able to chew, it will be a bit unpleasant. I enjoyed mashed potatoes a lot during this period. It gets easier after the first few days, although it's still sensitive each time they're tightened.

I found that cool/warm liquids (soups, smoothies, etc) were pleasant on my aching mouth, and of course pain killers help.

Also, as far as her being alone- it shouldn't be a problem. It's not a serious pain like getting your wisdom teeth out or breaking a bone, it's just uncomfortable. She might be a bit grumpy and uncomfortable for a while, but it's not serious enough to worry about leaving her alone. I would recommend doing something nice for her- making sure she has soft, yummy (and healthy) foods, and maybe rent her a movie or two to distract her. It's a bit like having a cold- you don't necessarily need someone to take care of you, but it helps if they do something nice for you.
  • I had braces in high school about 7 years ago. The eating food with them in part wasn't that bad. They really weren't that much of an inconvenience.

It hurts alot at first but once you get used to them (and your teeth/gums get more used to moving) the pain lessens.

For me it was initially a few days to a week of pain when you got them on. Then 2-3 days of pain when you get them tightened (with the first one being really bad). A few times it hurt really badly but it never lasts more than a day or two.

She'll be fine tell her it will go away soon.
  • She won't need anyone around if she has a slight painkiller like advil or tylenol, and the wax that the orthodontist gives her to prevent irritation.

To be sure it's not pleasant to start, but it was just an ache, and within a few days you get used to it. The pain dulls, and then it's like nothing.

Only you will know if she's mature enough to follow the guidelines without someone there. Though, they aren't particularly complicated.
  • Everyone's given some great ideas. All I really have to add is that when I had braces, sometimes gargling some warm salt water would provide some immediate relief from pain (a nice way to wait for the tylenol to kick in).
  • I had braces when I was 13. I admittedly liked having a parent around who could soothe me and coddle me a bit when I was complaining I remember a lot of pain and how nice it was to have a parent make jell-o, macaroni and cheese, etc.

Necessary? Not absolutely. But nice to have around

Make sure she has soup, mashed potatoes, smoothies, ice cream, jell-o, meal replacement (SlimFast, etc), mac & cheese, or the like. Depending on the individual, braces and really, really hurt and solid food may not be possible for several days. She'll be fine though!
  • I think a little of the "pain" is overexaggerated! I have mine on right now, and I got them on about a year ago so my memory of it isn't foggy.

It is just a couple aches and pains. I recommend advil as opposed to tylenol unless she is allergic or something. A few warm drinks, some soup and jello and you're good to go!

If you're worried about her self medicating, just lay the pills out and tell her to take them every 4 hours or whatever time frame you want.

The achy part will be over before you know it