General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #16  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriesNV View Post
I don't let these things get to me and I definitely don't judge anyone by it.

I do agree that it's definitely insecurities...but it's NO DIFFERENT than when big girls constantly ask if the jeans make their butt look fat, or when girls constantly say how hot/pretty/cute they are how ugly they are. They're: 1.) fishing for attention 2.) need affirmation constantly and 3.) obsess over what other people think about their image.

Women of all shapes and sizes have this problem...they just ask and talk in a slightly different context.

Some people constantly state the obvious (i.e. "I'm so fat" "I'm so tiny") because they might have always been picked on as a kid for being that certain way. They've learned to cope with that by making fun of themselves. By them stating that they are fat/skinny/4-eyes/etc., they alleviate the situation from becoming hurtful when others may start joking about it.
Yes to everything there. I had a friend of mine who had been big all her life and then lost a significant amount of weight in a very short period of time (and has kept it off! ). However, when she initially lost it I heard about it ALL THE TIME. At the time I was trying to lose weight but I've always been a slow loser so it was hard to deal with at times but I just grinned and bore it because I knew that it was something radically different for her (going from always being big to being actually quite small) whereas I had been at a healthy weight before so for me it wasn't as big of a deal. She calmed down a lot over time but I think it was just her wrapping her head around the change and she probably didn't have a place like 3FC to talk about it all the time.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #17  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

When the tiny ones who are obviously just looking for attention start telling me how tiny they are I generally respond with something like, "that's awesome for you, how many push-ups can you do?" Since the type of girl we're talking about here has almost always never done a push-up in her life, that generally shuts them up.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalZ10 View Post
That's when I agree with them and mention that they look a bit chunky in the waist too. lol
LOL!
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 190/180/144

Height: 5'6

Its really annoying when they mention how they need to go on a diet.....even after being a 4 for ten years! Really?
Shmoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #20  
Makin' it happen

S/C/G: 296/198/150

Height: 5'4

I've got one for you - I have a cousin who is a year younger than me. She is bigger than me. She *thinks* she is shorter than me. However, we are *exactly* the same height. In fact, if she lost some weight and was able to stand up a little straighter, she would probably be taller than me. It's hilarious, because I think I'm an average height. But to her, I'm soooo tall and she is soooo short. I always just laugh inside when she says something about how much taller I am, because it's ridiculously funny. The other day we were shopping, and she asked me to see if I could get down a shirt from a top rack for her since I was so much taller than her. The saleslady turned around and said in a completely deadpan voice, "She is exactly the same height as you; you're not that short." I was dying inside, but I reached up and got the shirt without a word.
onagain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #21  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

In general, I don't think anyone says anything in order to specifically "hurt my feelings". I don't necessarily think "they're just plain rude!" - Most often, I think they're having some sort of body image issues.

People who are bigger than me have made mention of how "small" I am (I'm NOT...at 163 lbs & 5'3", nope, not small!) and people smaller than me have made mention of how "big" they are (5'8" and 150 lbs... they're NOT big) - IN COMPARISON I mean. Are smaller people fishing for compliments? While it's entirely possible, I would bet more money on their personal unhappiness with whatever part of their body they're focusing on.

So if some (IMO) really cute 120 pound girl makes mention of her "fatness" in my presence, I usually just say "Oh honey, you look great!" without mentioning "no you're not!" or whatever - & just leave it at that. Because IF THEY ARE fishing for a compliment, I figure they must need some sort of confirmation, so I give it to them. And if they really DO "feel fat", then that's a whole'nuther problem for them altogether, which usually includes severe body image issues, so even if they were 105 pounds, they'd probably STILL feel fat -I know, because hey... BTDT! - I felt fat when I was 126 pounds. And GEEZ what I wouldn't give to be "that fat" right now!!!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #22  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
So if some (IMO) really cute 120 pound girl makes mention of her "fatness" in my presence, I usually just say "Oh honey, you look great!" without mentioning "no you're not!" or whatever - & just leave it at that. Because IF THEY ARE fishing for a compliment, I figure they must need some sort of confirmation, so I give it to them. And if they really DO "feel fat", then that's a whole'nuther problem for them altogether, which usually includes severe body image issues, so even if they were 105 pounds, they'd probably STILL feel fat -I know, because hey... BTDT! - I felt fat when I was 126 pounds. And GEEZ what I wouldn't give to be "that fat" right now!!!
That is a fantastic way to handle the issue!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 145/131.5/125

Height: 5'3"

Sounds like someone is fishing for compliments.
nikkinouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 282/TICKER/140

Height: 5'6.5

It annoys me too, though it's probably just because they need someone to compliment them. I actually experienced something quite hurtful said by someone tiny, though I know that they didn't realise how I would take what they said. I was wearing a belt around my waist, but I took it off because it kept slipping down. The small woman next to me picked it up, put it around her shoulders and said, loudly, "OH MY GOD! I can't believe your waist is this huge!" Needless to say I was rather embarrassed, but I know she only did it because she has a need to feel tiny, and she didn't realise that it would hurt my feelings. We're friends now, and she still regularly brings up how little she is.. no escaping I guess!
aseret123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #25  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Somebody said to me yesterday, "You've lost a ton of weight!!" I have been stuck at the same weight for a long time now, so I said, "Yeah, I've lost some." She said, "No! You've lost a ton of weight!" Huh... I know it's meant as a compliment, but what am I supposed to say to that? "Oh, yeah, I know. I was HUGE!" Still, I know I've lost weight, but I would like to get some more of this off. I'm not trying to fish for compliments. I really do still need to get some more of this off. Maybe I am just being greedy? I don't know. I have a medium frame, and I can carry a bit of weight and still look decent, but my BMI is still in the "overweight" area. I know BMI is not always right, but I think in my case it is. I'm not a bodybuilder or anything.

As far as this lady goes, I think she is insecure and just trying to make herself feel better by pointing out how small she is to everyone. It's definitely annoying.

Last edited by theCandEs; 08-12-2011 at 04:36 PM.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:30 AM   #26  
Vegan for the animals.

I find ignoring comments I don't like or don't want to respond to usually works. Usually. Which means of coarse, not always.
VegDay is offline   Reply With Quote