General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #1  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Gardening Help!

gardeners help!!!...last year i put a rhubarb root in the ground in the yard and left it alone per the person's instructions who gave it to me...this year it grew a few stalks about half a foot high, maybe just a little higher...i havent picked it yet...the leaves though are starting to turn a bit yellow and red/pink...what does this mean? it is diseased? should i pick the stalks? what should i do?

the plant is in a corner in the yard...there is nothing else growing around it besides our lawn and, i suppose, some weeds...the rhubarb that we had when growing up seemed just fine without the slightest interference from us (weed pulling, miracle grow, etc)...it's been a very rainy summer though...temps around 50s-60s when raining and 70s when sunny
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #2  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Not sure what you mean with yellow & red/pink. Can you post a pic?
Don't harvest in the first year. And the follow few years don't take to much. Maybe 1/2? The plant has to establish first.
Rhubarb is very hardy and easy to grow. Doesn't really need any attention. If you want I would get some aged manure next spring and put a little around the plant. I also put a bucket upside down over it in the early spring. It is a great way to shelter the plant and the warmth inside helps it grow.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #3  
Miss October

S/C/G: 153/116.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Like the other poster said, you shouldn't harvest much the first year. It *should* already be past harvesting time- has it gone to seed yet? Rhubarb is very hardy.

Perhaps just a little fertilizer/manure for the yellowing leaves? I wonder if a fish based fertilizer would be a good option. Hope this helps!
CorinneIrene is offline   Reply With Quote