General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/166/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Whaddy Wanna Be When you Grow Up?

Having major career pains here. Have my degree in elementary education but ended up teaching preschool and working for a center that has made it possible for me to work part time to raise my babies and have my summers off with them. Next fall my youngest starts kindergarten and now I'm not so sure I want to teach anymore...YIKES!

Anyone else having a career middle life crisis? I just don't know what I want to be when I grow up and I'm 36! The economy makes it so that I can't just go and get a new job either ya know and I have MAJOR burn out right now....I know I can stick with it this school year so that my youngest can finish her preschooling with me but once both my girls are in school full time...then what...the possibilities are endless!!!!
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #2  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I don't know...I will let ya know when I gorw up, lol
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/166/135

Height: 5'5"

hahaha
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #4  

I am in exactly the same boat. I was a Finance Manager when I got preggers and after my maternity was up I was let go. I honestly wanted to stay home with my baby girl. Then I had my son who is also going to Kindergarden next year.
I was looking into Iridology and Nutrition which is in the Wholistic medication world but there are no schools in my area and the one school I found was $17,000 for the certification. Part of my really wants to do it but for that much money I may as well do a PhD! I have an MBA but refuse to go back into business. Its a very cut throat world and I am so far from that.
I never thought I would be financially dependant on someone else and sometimes I wanna kick myself but then I think about the wonderful gift I was given to stay home and raise my amazing children.
This past week was hard because I was accepted in the school only to find out about the tuition and backed out. So now I'm back to square one.
What do we do? Where do we even look? And ofcourse my main concern is to still have time for my children and to do housework. I know.. I know we can't have it all.
usam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:52 PM   #5  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I have a BS in psychology (which as I tell everyone, is as useful in the job market as ancient foreign languages) and work with autistic kids. I am getting to the point where I hate my job. The pay is insanely low for the education and experience we have to have and I am getting to the point where I spend all my time with other people's kids (which drives me crazy when the parents don't work and are busy getting their nails done instead of working on interventions AT HOME) and not enough with my own. I resent it.

I would love to work at home. Maybe even finish get that novel finally published
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

A comic book artist. *smiles dreamily*
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #7  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

I want to be a board certified lactation consultant.
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Trying to figure out what I want to do as well. I have a BFA Art Education and turns out teaching's just not my bag. I have a generic office job for the moment, and no idea what my next move will be.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #9  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

My degree is also in elementary education. I absolutely abhor the government involvement in public education and will have no part in it. The people in charge have no idea what they are doing and teachers are no longer allowed to actually teach. I refuse to deal with the snobbery of most private schools. I am now left in a "now what?" situation. I'm thinking something in fitness and/or nutrition, but I am also considering becoming a social worker.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote