Who's creative- musicians, poets?

• Hey there chickies

I am just curious if there are any songwriters, musicians or poets out there!

I have been playing acoustic guitar since about March or April of 2010, have written lyrics of four songs and have been writing poems since childhood. I am wondering if anyone shares these interests??

For me these are huge stress releases and help me deal with emotions, I am working on using these outlets instead of food. I really look forward to my weekly guitar lesson.

I find music and writing so therapeutic. Does anyone else relate?

Hope to see some other creative chickies out there!!

• My goal in life is to be a writer, but I don't actually get around to it. Instead, I procrastinate by writing songs. I suspect that if my dream was to be a musician, writing fiction would come easier. I write some sort of folk music (or singer-songwriter, I don't know). I don't think too many people would like my songs, but it's what comes out of my head. I sent one of my songs to an online friend and she said she had to listen to it a few times to "get it". I don't know what that means! I'm also working on my own versions of traditional folk songs.

Where do you take guitar lessons? How did you pick a teacher? I've had my guitar since I was 11 or 12 (I'm nearly 25) and I took classes in middle school and high school, but I never progressed beyond a beginner level. I play by ear and just go with what sounds good, but I'd like to be more proficient.

I hate poetry. I don't know why, but it's really not my thing. I enjoy writing lyrics, with or without the music. It's kind of weird.

I don't eat emotionally, but I do deal with depression, so creating things is therapeutic for me in that way. I'd love to get into visual art, especially watercolors and charcoal sketches.
  • I found my guitar teacher through a friend; his brother who is now my guitar teacher is a musician and music teacher. I told my friend I was interested in taking lessons and knew that his brother was a musician, and my friend told me that he teaches, so I signed up for lessons. We've been working together for awhile and it's great!

Not everyone is that lucky to have an opportunity like that fall in their lap but there are music schools around in most places, I think. Well, at least in my town there is a music conservatory where my guitar teacher teaches in addition to private students like me. There is also a School of Rock, and lessons at the YMCA. A lot of places offer a free trial lesson too.

That's awesome that you are a songwriter. I aspire to become a better songwriter because I am a complete novice right now. What's helped me write poetry and songs is just pure inspiration but also I took a lot of English classes, well I guess no more than the normal student in school, but I always liked those. I also went to a writing camp as a teen and I think any additional seminars, classes, instruction on writing can be very helpful. There is a website I just discovered called songstuff dot com and they have a place to get songs critiqued and collaborate with other songwriters.

I'd like to get some feedback on my songwriting but I am kinda chicken to post it in forums. I think I will ask my instructor and family to review my work first.

take care...