General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #16  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i've never traveled and camped but each summer we go out camping on the coast around here...the only road "out" of town dead-ends about 30 miles out of town and, at that point, you're driving through mostly coastal rainforest wilderness anyhow...we dont use campgrounds or campsites, we just make our own...usually we go with BIL and his wife and little kids, usually other relatives show up along the way too...we are always out there for at least a few days...

we always take lots of bug spray, sunscreen, tent, chairs, cooler full of food, toys for our son, Raid so you dont have to find and kill the bugs that get into your tent before nighttime, first aid, toilet paper, garbage bags so you dont leave trash behind, etc

BIL always takes his skiff...we always camp directly at the shoreline, right up from high tideline, in the rainforest and we always motor out the skiff to drop crab pots into the ocean...if you're doing any of that, make sure you take the crab bait and stuff (frozen herring bait etc)....one morning i went out with BIL on his skiff to pull up the crab pots and we saw a whale surfacing pretty close to us, the whale's tail was making waves for our skiff, was very cool!

last time we all took the skiff and camped out on a little island all by ourselves (well, us and the group we were with)...spent several days out there sitting in the sun, camping on the beach, fishing on the skiff and crap potting...nothing like freshly caught crab over the campfire!
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:39 AM   #17  
Woooo Hooooo :)

S/C/G: 266.8/235/175

Height: 5'6

We just went camping this weekend at Mt Rainier! OMG It was SO much fun! We didn't have a tent so my friend who we went with let us borrow theirs. She had just bought a new one for them and it is SO nice! Its the Weathermaster 10 by Coleman I think. It has enough room to fit 3 queen size blow up mattresses! It has a flap door that is really nice and can separate into 3 rooms! Once I can afford it we will be getting one ourselves. We already have plans to go back in August! The whole family had SO much fun! Even though my teenager was unable to get cell service & had to do without texting for the weekend! LMAO

My friend had frozen just about all the food that was coming with so she didn't even need ICE! I got a ton of ice in my cooler though! She also has a little propane tank grill and then a propane run burner with 2 burners on it. We ate SO good and it was pretty easy! Ribs one night & spaghetti! Between all the kids & men we had to help with clean up it was a breeze!

I hope you guys have fun!

PBmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

We love to camp and fish. I have simplified camping by creating a couple of totes that are stocked and ready to go. One is the campsite tote. It contains first aid kit, extra rain ponchos, sunscreen, clothes line, matches, and other things that I find useful while camping. The other tote is the "camp kitchen" it has basic tools like the little propane stove, utensils and food prep items like peeler, knife spatula. It also has a good skillet and a couple of small pots, spices, foil, etc. Using the totes makes it easier to prepare to go and easier to set up and break camp.

We generally only eat two meals per day. A hearty breakfast before we head out and then supper back at the camp. Enjoy!
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote