Making Whipped Cream

• The stages of making homemade whipped cream for a party for the pie I am not even going to eat.

Too thin.
    Still too thin.
    Still too thin.
    Still too thin.
    Still too thin.
    I think it's thickening...
    Butter.

DA it
  • Haha-I did that once. Now I buy the kind in a squirt can or cool whip - lol !
  • I have to laugh, because I have done that, too!

My friend used to tell stories about a store he worked in where they made their own whipped cream. In one: He turns the mixer on with the cream in it. Walks away to deal with a customer. Comes back... butter.
  • I too have made butter on accident. Ugh! Still though, I love making my own whipped cream. I don't do it often though!
  • Did you chill the bowl and beaters first? I have never had mine go to butter but they say it gets a yellow tinge before this happens. I start sprinkling in a little sugar when I see it is starting to thicken.

The whipping cream I have been using here is 35% fat (Canada likes to keep us informed), I don't know if that makes a difference.
  • Yeppers. Me too. Made me soooo mad! lol The last time though, it came out fine and tasted good. You just have to move the beaters around a lot and lift it up a bit to see if it makes soft peaks. Once that happens, your good to go. lol
  • Sort of - related. Did you know that you can greatly reduce the amount of sugar in whipped cream by adding a little almond extract? My family never even notices and they all swear that I make the best whipped cream