General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #16  

I would rather this not turn into a flame-fest over which team has the worst players. Someone started the comments on sportsmanship and I only responded with my opinion. I guess I missed the memo that said I must like everyone on the other team, and that I am not allowed to have any thoughts or feelings about the other team that aren't positive or praise-worthy.

My opinion is as I stated, and I will not go into further detail on why I believe that way. If you want to know then send me a private message, but this thread was not started for that reason.

It was started to apologize for the shameful behavior of a few inebriated hooligans who even hours before the game were creating Facebook pages and overheard on transit already talking about the rioting they would do, and I will not be getting into a verbal (textual) spar over anything else.

Also, it would be great that if you were going to quote something I said, you quote the whole section, not just what you personally disagreed with. Not only did I go on in the paragraph to praise the Bruins for being the better team, but I also expressed the fact that there are at least 2 players on the Canucks team that I dislike. I think praising the other team for being better is what really matters, not the fact that I have an independent opinion on a few players on the other team.

Thanks!

Last edited by Rainbowgirl; 06-16-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I started out rooting for the Canucks but after watching their poor sportsmanship, I quickly started rooting for the Bruins.

It doesn't surprise me that the poor sportsmanship was contagious to an unruly few fans.
I've seen what is described here as poor sportsmanship in every championship series no matter which teams are playing - including the Blackhawks and the Red Wings and the Bruins. It is not solely a Canucks issue in this series. It is a strategy to intimidate, to play mind games, give 'em a little 'chin music', to get under the opponents' skin. Its not a championship game unless someone is crying "FOUL" for some reason.

Every team in every sport is trying to get just a little bit of advantage over the other and trying to not get caught if it is just a little outside the rules. That's why there are penalties in every sport.

Poor sportsmanship is if the players take it further when off ice. I've seen that only a few times and recollect an incident with Claude Lemieux (one of the league's dirtiest players) several years ago when he got in a shouting match with the opposing coach while boarding his team's bus. That is poor sportmanship. The stuff on the ice is just the game. And fodder for many a hockey conversation at your favorite watering hole.

Last edited by DixC Chix; 06-16-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I like Thomas because you never know what he's going to do. I was seriously divided over this series, being a dual citizen lately from Halifax, which was pulling for Boston, but understanding the hunger for the Cup in Canada can't be matched by any US city, even Boston. Fun to watch, but glad it's over.
lillyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #19  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

I was cheering for the Canucks (being a habs fan, I'm kinda raised to not like Bruins LOL) and I was so sad for them, not being able to be as good as the rest of the season during this serie. It break my heart out seeing them on the ice after the lost.

The Bruins were definitely more powerful then the Canucks for the past week. Thomas especially really diserved to win.

The only thing I didn't like from last night was the lack of of sportmanship from the Bruins, Julien litteraly had to pull them over to go shake hands with the Vancouver guys. But anyway, season's over now, can't wait to october
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:12 AM   #20  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
No one is thinking poorly of Canada!
This.

It seems like there are jerks everywhere who will use any handy occasion to act worse than animals, try to hurt other people, or steal or destroy other people's property.

Sporting events like the Stanley Cup games, natural disasters like Hurricane Katrina, and legitimate political activities like the student protests in the UK a few months ago all provide opportunities for bad people to do bad things.

Fortunately, there tend to be more good people around than bad ones. It was nice to read that so many Vancouverites care enough about their city to help clean up the mess made by a moronic minority.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 396/321/180

Height: 5'9

Default <applauds>

As a die-hard Canucks fan, I, too, was saddened by our loss, but when I woke up the next morning, I was mortified at the fans. Nothing to do with sports calls for that amount of destruction. If you are angry, go take it out on a punching bag. As for thinking that way about the entire city? Never. Vancouver is beautiful. I could never look at the entire city and judge based on a few idiots.

As for the Canucks - if you weren't going to show up to the game, why did you bother making it that far? argh! They'll do it next year.
BuggyBear81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #22  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

The jerks that destroy public property and injur others are just that...jerks....

I would use other language but I know the mods would take care of it!

I love how many "fans" were arrested in Los Angeles when they destroyed property and looted after my Lakers won their last championship...all because of pictures on cell phones that good citizens turned in!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #23  

So far, there have been over 100 charges. One 17-year-old was turned in by his own parents who saw him in a picture online lighting a police car on fire. Other people have begun turning themselves in, realizing that they're going to get charged regardless.

Many volunteers showed up yesterday to help clean up and the plywood that is/was covering The Bay store windows was turned into a memorial; thousands of writings cover it now all expressing disgust, remorse, and hope that it won't happen for a third time.

The Canucks themselves talked to the media today and expressed disappointment in the riots, but noted how many true, blue and green fans there were that saluted the Bruins when they won on Wednesday and how many that tried to stop the riots and the ones that came to clean up on Thursday.

A black mark, but one that hopefully will be overshadowed by the outpouring of support and community-spirit by everyone who was ashamed of the whole incident.
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/130

Height: 5'0

<--Bahhhstan Fan here!! Thank you for the kind words! I truly believe they earned it. We were the underdogs going in and it was really a good story to come out on top! Went to the parade today and it was absolutely incredible!! That being said, like someone previously posting, we are no strangers to sport fan riots in Boston. I can't say with confidence it wouldn't have had a similar ending had game 7 been in Boston and we lost. Boston really has some DIE HARD fans. I felt so bad for everyone in Vancouver/Canada after the game that some drunk punks took it to a different level and really disrespected your whole country.
WeightForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:42 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

I confess, we joked that rioting seemed so unCanadian. But, in reality, no one assumes that those riots reflect anything about Vancouver, the Canucks, or their fans. Really, all it reflects is that you guys have the same people that lurk under rocks in every city, looking for a reason to be destructive.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:19 PM   #26  

Sorry if I offended anyone with my comments. Just my opinion.

It's a game.

Major head trauma is a life long problem. I know. I have a loved one who has life long problems due to 15 concussions from semi pro hockey play.

Play to win? OK. Play to hurt? NOT ok.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #27  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness4life View Post
Sorry if I offended anyone with my comments. Just my opinion.

It's a game.

Major head trauma is a life long problem. I know. I have a loved one who has life long problems due to 15 concussions from semi pro hockey play.

Play to win? OK. Play to hurt? NOT ok.

I didn't see anyone offended by your comments...I sure wasn't....maybe I missed something.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
I didn't see anyone offended by your comments...I sure wasn't....maybe I missed something.
I don't think so either, but just in case, I wanted to clarify. I think the OP was lovely to apologize to the hockey world and I brought up the unsportsmanship conduct topic, which wasn't the original point, so sorry that I brought that up. No biggie!
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote