3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Lithotripsy for kidney stones (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/234883-lithotripsy-kidney-stones.html)

JenMusic 06-05-2011 11:34 AM

Lithotripsy for kidney stones

Anybody had this done? I'm getting it done this Friday, the 10th. I'd love to hear some personal experiences, especially in regards to pain and pain management, as well as recovery time. I'm going to be under general anesthesia, so I'm more concerned about post-procedure pain.

I don't know anyone personally who's had this done, so even though I've researched and read about it online, hearing from actual people seems somehow more real.

And yep, I know no one is a doctor or can give me medical advice. :)

Thanks!

jraefox 06-05-2011 12:31 PM

I've had this done...

Hi there - I had lithotripsy in 2002 for kidney stones, and was under anesthetic as well. Immediately after the procedure my biggest problem was horrible nausea but I'm a little sensitive to anesthesia apparently, so that had nothing to do with the actual procedure.

I had it done on a Friday morning, and was fine Sunday night. In between I had waves of pain like those that sent me to the dr. for this in the first place, some vomiting, etc. In my case I had to strain my urine (yay! tons of fun!!:-) and the weirdest thing was that I knew the second the broken-up stones were gone. Suddenly no pain of any kind and no nausea at all. In the wink of an eye. Sure enough there were stone pieces in the strainer.

So, in my opinion, 2 1/2 days of waves (two - three per day) of some pain and nausea were a better alternative to the pain I was feeling before I had the procedure done!! I'm glad I went that route/had that option. It's also possible, maybe, that I would have recovered from the lithotripsy even sooner had I pushed fluids more. I was doing that, but I'm sure I could have stepped up my water intake and maybe would have seen results a little faster. But still, the 2 1/2 days were worth it compared to the 2 months of a stone hiding where it couldn't be found on x-rays!! Naughty little bugger.

I'm hoping this helps rather than making you more nervous! I had an excellent doctor and in the grand scheme of things this was a walk in the park. Good luck!

jraefox 06-05-2011 12:33 PM

I forgot to mention pain management - I believe they gave me an Rx for Tylenol with Codeine, and I think I took one dose, the evening of the procedure (Friday). Otherwise the bouts of ouchiness didn't last long enough each time they happened for me to take more than that.

fitbyforty 06-05-2011 12:37 PM

I have had this done twice.I was never put completely out for it.More like a twilight sleep.The first time I had painkillers but I didn't need them.I felt normal.I hit the water hard cause I wanted to flush those suckers out.The second time I was in lots of pain after.Manageable though.Upped the water even more and had great success with passing them.I still felt better the next day though.No nausea either time.

JenMusic 06-05-2011 06:34 PM

Thank you both so much! Lots of information there. I can't believe you both felt better so quickly. I also am doing early Friday morning, and would love to feel all better by Saturday night. We'll see. ;)

I'm a teacher, and I've been wondering whether or not to arrange a substitute for my Monday classes. At this point I think I will, just to be on the safe side. Being on my feet for 7 hours on Monday doesn't sound like fun if I'm all bruised up, but maybe I'll feel better by then and cancel the sub.