General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/186/165

Height: 5'5"

Default Care Givers...

So little about me, I'm 27 turning 28, have a wonderful girlfriend that is overly supportive and my life isnt that bad. Ive lost 50lbs in the last two years and the last year been at a standstill. For the last year I have been caregiving for my 92 year old grandmother, as well as working fulltime, have three horses to take care of, and a relationship to maintain. As well as an ailing father that my mother has her hands full with. My problem is.... how with so many other things going on in my life...how do I put myself first. I have never been the selfish type, nor have I ever known how to put myself mentally above anyone.

From my talks with people, it seems caregivers only understand what its like to take care of the emotionally stresses of watching someone you love start to decline (somedays pretty rapidly). I just don't know how to balance everything, I know somedays I am going to drop things, but really need to figure out how when I do drop things that its not me, or doesnt affect the people in my life counting on me.

I have heard it time and time again that you have to put yourself first in order to take care of someone else. Problem is I have absoultly no idea how to do that and when i do try too, I feel like they suffer because of it.

Hopefully someone has some insight to my problem(s). I feel very stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks
UknwULikeThat is offline   Reply With Quote