General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Unhappy Shorties: back/tailbone question

Do any of you find your tailbone hurting a lot? It happens to me even if I'm not doing hard physical work. If I lay down on my back on the floor for example, I can't get up most times. There's this strange, painful feeling in my tailbone/hips that prevents me from getting up. Or bending down, sometimes. Even standing hurts. It's not excrutiating, but it's enough to be a bother, and today while doing yardwork I did feel myself tearing up once or twice.

Another thing I notice is my pelvis/hips/tailbone/something in that region click and pop. A lot. If I try to do side leg raises, sit ups, etc. I find myself... feeling as though I'm always arching my back back when standing, as though I'm stacking all my upper body weight on my lower back. I don't know if it's because of the pain to begin with, or habit, or something else. Does that make sense? Shoulders out and back kind of?

Anyone know what this is or why it's happening?? Maybe me just carrying too much weight on a body my frame? I have an apt with my doctor soon, so I think I'll ask her, but I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

Sorry for two posts in just a few minutes, but I wanted to ask both today before I forgot.

Last edited by yhahmd; 05-09-2011 at 09:00 PM.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:15 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhahmd View Post
Do any of you find your tailbone hurting a lot? It happens to me even if I'm not doing hard physical work. If I lay down on my back on the floor for example, I can't get up most times. There's this strange, painful feeling in my tailbone/hips that prevents me from getting up. Or bending down, sometimes. Even standing hurts. It's not excrutiating, but it's enough to be a bother, and today while doing yardwork I did feel myself tearing up once or twice.

Another thing I notice is my pelvis/hips/tailbone/something in that region click and pop. A lot. If I try to do side leg raises, sit ups, etc. I find myself... feeling as though I'm always arching my back back when standing, as though I'm stacking all my upper body weight on my lower back. I don't know if it's because of the pain to begin with, or habit, or something else. Does that make sense? Shoulders out and back kind of?

Anyone know what this is or why it's happening?? Maybe me just carrying too much weight on a body my frame? I have an apt with my doctor soon, so I think I'll ask her, but I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

Sorry for two posts in just a few minutes, but I wanted to ask both today before I forgot.
I am certainly not a doctor, but I am a trained and licensed massage therapist and had to go through a lot of anatomy and kinesiology classes. First, I would recommend that you see a doctor if the pain is persistent and doesn't go away. A chiropractor can also be very helpful.

In recent years with weight gain, I've noticed that my lower back and hips give me trouble as well. Weight gain in the abdominal region, particularly the lower abdominal area below the navel, can pull and bow your spine forward, putting stress on it and causing discomfort. It is similar to what happens to the spine during pregnancy.

Another thing to consider is your daily activities and job. Do you have a job that requires you to sit down a lot? Sitting down for long periods of time can cause a lot of lower back problems. When you sit, your lower abdominal muscles contract and your lower back muscles lengthen. When you are in that position for long periods of time, pain and discomfort can result.
RiverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:49 AM   #3  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

Yep! I get this too. When I first sought chiropractic therapy for it, I was going 3x a week! Now, I go once every week or 2 depending on how much I work. Thus far, my chiro has kept me from back surgery and cortisone injections!
A Goody's Cool Orange and a little BioFreeze to the area isn't bad either
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #4  
is chubby

There are two things which could be happening. There could be a slipped disk that low in your spine or you could have a pustule deep inside close to the bone.
Often after hurting the area people can have a pustule beneath the tailbone that can grow immensely before it is noticed outwardly.
What you need is a doctor and an x-ray done
I wish you the best
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Weight or no, I have had that pain and those issues, and for me chiropractic and massage therapy was the ONLY cure. Pregnancy exacerbated them, but not so much the weight gain as the shift in my center of gravity.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 279/ticker/200

Height: 5'7

Im not short but i understand what your saying. I have pain in my lower back when i do excersize as well. Mainly because i have a bad back to start with (im top heavy) and with years of abuse to my body ive learned to arch back when i walk to make myself kind of look tall. Recently i started wearing the skechers shape ups (for walking but i use them for my posture as well) and when wearing them i feel myself carrying my weight better and my body isnt so stressed in carrying it in places it shouldnt. Maybe its something you could consider?
chase1984 is offline   Reply With Quote