General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default How do you feel about "no recess"?

The subject of recess and/or exercise for students was brought up over and over in my thread about the homemade lunches.

So many schools have cancelled recess because they needed more "instruction time" for students to pass the test for that stupid "no child left behind" fiasco. Now we are hearing more and more about the schools that still have recess cutting back on "running". No dodge ball, no tag etc. Come on! Some moron on the radio had the audacity to remark that being "it" in tag could lead to self esteem issues. Stop this mumbo jumbo mind crap. Let kids go play. Most of them don't know how to any more.

Let's see, why are we seeing more childhood obesity? Hmmmm. Lack of movement could be 1 issue. Let the kids play kick ball. Let them play tag. Let them run!
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I spent a lot of my childhood overseas and we never really had recess..we were given time for something to eat and if we were quick we could do whatever until class started (usually there was only time to eat though). When we moved back to the US and there was lunch AND recess I remember being really bored and noticed that it was harder to refocus back onto studies after playing.

I think kids need to get up and move more and some kids do better with a decent break between studies but there are so many problems with the educational system (along with kids and their families) that should be more of an issue than lunches and recess.
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/205/140

Height: 5'4

No running? Sheesh, when I was in grade 7 we had a teacher that liked to run and the class ran 2.5 km every morning and we were timed. At the time it ticked me off a bit but i am glad now that we did it. When i was in grade 8 I ran a 10k with a city event. I do understand being 'it' though and how it can be hard for some kids.
Ashley777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #4  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

The truth is when I was kids usually the late 90's and before MOST if not ALL kids always played outside when they were home from school, we'd play tag. Hide in seek we were never inside the house unless it was a rainy day. Kids these days are all inside playing video games. Sure 15 minutes of recess would be good because kids get restless, but at the same time once I hit grade 6 recess stopped, we played outside at lunch for an hour and spend after school playing outside. I personally don't think taking away recess is going to hurt the children (though I think the board of education is starting to become ridiculous with crap, such as you said before in a thread about banning home made lunches and now taking away recess.) it's what they do on their own time when they are at home which is mostly the cause for Child Obsesity IMO.

If teacher's taught properly, and they wouldn't jam pack more then 20 kids in a classroom like they do these days it'd be alot easier for children to learn because there would be more time to a student if they had questions. Allowing children 15 minutes for a break isn't going to make them stupid, and taking away their 15 minute recess to be stuck in an over populated classroom to begin with just so they can learn that extra 15 minutes isn't going to make them smarter either.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

I could have sworn I'd seen this on an episode of Recess before...
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #6  

MiZTaCCen I think you're absolutely right that it's a lot (if not mostly) to do with what kids are doing at home. I don't really think smaller classes is the best way though. I remember being in the top classes overseas with great grades but all the classes (about 9 or 10 per grade) had between 30-40 students and our teachers did well with us. I don't know what to attribute it to..maybe kids just aren't serious enough (not getting the support at home either) or maybe the teachers need to learn how to focus their time on the class while setting aside enough time to give one on one help when they see a kid's having troubles catching on with a topic.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilidawn View Post
MiZTaCCen I think you're absolutely right that it's a lot (if not mostly) to do with what kids are doing at home. I don't really think smaller classes is the best way though. I remember being in the top classes overseas with great grades but all the classes (about 9 or 10 per grade) had between 30-40 students and our teachers did well with us. I don't know what to attribute it to..maybe kids just aren't serious enough (not getting the support at home either) or maybe the teachers need to learn how to focus their time on the class while setting aside enough time to give one on one help when they see a kid's having troubles catching on with a topic.
I think a lot of schools and districts are afraid to hold students back due to loss or reduction of federal, state and local funds. Money is what it all boils down to, not the quality of education.

I think schools should be allowed to hold students back if they need to be without financial punishment. This keeps students in the same grade on a more level field. Obviously, there will still be differences, there always will be. But I've seen fifth graders reading fairly advanced books in classes with others that couldn't get through Curious George. This takes time away from those that need a little extra help getting back on track.

The standards shouldn't be lowered for the few. Maybe if this were the case, they wouldn't feel the need to shove standardized testing down every one's throats. What would be the point if federal funds didn't hang on having the absolute highest percentage of students pass? I remember taking those tests and they were a JOKE. I was finished in 15 minutes and bored the rest of the flippin day. Maybe, just maybe, the kids could have their recess back without the need for "more instruction time."

I'm not saying this will solve the education system's problems, but it sure isn't working like a well-oiled machine as is.

[/end ]
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLMuffnTop View Post
I think a lot of schools and districts are afraid to hold students back due to loss or reduction of federal, state and local funds. Money is what it all boils down to, not the quality of education.

I think schools should be allowed to hold students back if they need to be without financial punishment. This keeps students in the same grade on a more level field. Obviously, there will still be differences, there always will be. But I've seen fifth graders reading fairly advanced books in classes with others that couldn't get through Curious George. This takes time away from those that need a little extra help getting back on track.

The standards shouldn't be lowered for the few. Maybe if this were the case, they wouldn't feel the need to shove standardized testing down every one's throats. What would be the point if federal funds didn't hang on having the absolute highest percentage of students pass? I remember taking those tests and they were a JOKE. I was finished in 15 minutes and bored the rest of the flippin day. Maybe, just maybe, the kids could have their recess back without the need for "more instruction time."

I'm not saying this will solve the education system's problems, but it sure isn't working like a well-oiled machine as is.

[/end ]
It's really sad to me how pretty much everything in life boils down to money. I think it also varies depending on where you go to school. I've met people with high school degrees who can't read higher than a 5th grade level, can't write (I don't expect perfection but at least knowing how to spell and use some pretty basic words would be nice) yet I've met drop outs who are brilliant! My roomie was failed many times in English (he wound up dropping out) and they said he was just "lazy"..but now they're saying he's dyslexic and may have a form of auspergers(sp?). He got shuffled to the special classes but those teachers didn't help him either because when he asked for help they just told him he needs to try harder (it's no wonder he gave up). It just seems like a lot of teachers just treat school as babysitting until the kid's old enough to join the workforce. I feel bad for the teachers who want to make a difference though because there's so much working against them
Old 04-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiZTaCCen View Post

If teacher's taught properly, and they wouldn't jam pack more then 20 kids in a classroom like they do these days it'd be alot easier for children to learn because there would be more time to a student if they had questions. Allowing children 15 minutes for a break isn't going to make them stupid, and taking away their 15 minute recess to be stuck in an over populated classroom to begin with just so they can learn that extra 15 minutes isn't going to make them smarter either.
Your comments are quite offensive to me. Yes, I teach. Why is it always the teacher's fault?
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #10  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

from what i've seen the teachers don't really have a say in anything anymore. it's an administration issues, not teachers. and i think of all the kids who will be acting out because of their boredom or just need to get outside and run around for a few minutes to get some energy out. and then i think how many of those kids will then be told they need to go on ADHD medications... its bad enough that PE and music and every other "non essential" activities have been cancelled.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

I can't imagine getting through my elementary school days without recess and lunch time on the playground. And we also had gym class. Its what kept me going thru the school day.

I was a trainer for many years for my work and I can't imagine teaching adults (let alone children) without as many breaks as possible. There are way too many studies that prove the learning process is enhanced by taking breaks.

I vote yes for every school millage/bond because education is IMHO so important.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

If the schools had the funding not to have to cram so many students into one classroom, then the teachers would be able to give more help to the students. A lot of people seem to have the idea that teachers have an easy job, however they aren't respected in North America nearly as much as they are in other countries. Teachers are the ones who shape our interests, in some cases moreso than our parents and peers. I'm sure we've all had that one teacher who made a great impact in our lives.
Without recess, and in many schools, art programs, music programs, and gym of course there are behavioral problems, as students don't have a way to let off steam.
My fiance and I both hated gym, but we see the need and value in it. It just needs to be noted that certain students need a different approach to it.

Last edited by CanadianCutie; 04-20-2011 at 08:51 PM.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #13  
Wear 9/10 by 9/10/11!!

S/C/G: 160/158/130or9-10inPants

Height: 5'4

and this is why we homeschool! My kids can have a packed lunch and recess!!
Morethananumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #14  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

How did this thread get jacked into piling up on teachers? I started it because I feel the kids need to move about more than walking outside and getting on a Game Boy.

Are there crappy teachers? You bet? Are some of them riding out their tenure? You bet, especially in Calif. Should we be able to fire crappy teachers? Yep not just the most recent hires when cutbacks happen. If the schools weren't so overstaffed at the top (administrators) then more $$ would reach the class room for the teachers.

Do I vote for every single thing for schools on the ballot? NOPE! In Calif they have "reallocated" too many of the things voted in to go to the General Fund. Why keep giving money that will be stolen?

OK. nuf said.

Let's get back to discussing recess and exercise. Sometimes kids need to get away from the books and get some fresh air. What's wrong with kickball? Do something!
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #15  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

While there are kids who genuinely have ADD/ADHD, so many behavioral problems could be reduced if they would just get kids off their backsides and moving. They're kids. They have energy. If they don't expend at least a part of it, they're going to be restless.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote