General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Default Nashville, TN and Charlotte NC travel

My fiance and I are taking a much needed vacation next week. We're leaving Easter Sunday and heading east from the St. Louis area. We're driving as far as Nashville that day, then the next day headed to Charlotte where we'll spend a couple days. We're looking for things to do in these areas. As for us, we're not into country music or really touristy things, but we'd up for some interesting things to look at. He's recovering from 2 car accidents in the past 2 months, with severe back and neck pain from the first accident.
For Charlotte we're already planning on the Big Head sculpture, but other than the science center we don't know really what else to do. We'll be visiting a friend of his, but she has only lived there about 3 months so isn't sure about the attractions.

If you're familiar with this area, we would love some ideas. Preferably cheap or free.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Have you tried google ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #3  

Yes, I've tried google, that's how I found out about the science center and the big head sculpture. Was just hoping someone in the area might have some insight.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

BILTMORE!!! The place is GORGEOUS and is the perfect couple's getaway. They have a winery, gorgeous flower gardens, tours of the estate and restaurants. Right now they're doing Festival of the Flowers and EVERYTHING is in bloom. It's absolutely breathtaking.
http://www.biltmore.com/visit/
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #5  
Persistance loses weight

S/C/G: 216/177/136

Height: 5'7"

Nashville is fabulous. I lived there for four years in college. Not really sure what types of things you'd be interested in seeing. There is quite a bit of delicious food to eat (wrong place for this I know!) and even if you aren't a country music fan, the honkey talks downtown are an experience not to be missed. There's also Centennial Park and Belle Meade Plantation.

If you are interested in eating (I know every time I go, I most certainly am), I would recommend: Loveless Cafe, Jackson's, Pancake Pantry (there's a line, so get there early), Monnell's, Bricktops, or Boundry.
skinnycow126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #6  

Thanks ladies. The Biltmore looks awesome. I just hope all the walking is ok for my man, he has back and neck injuries. And I'm thinking the Pancake Pantry sounds very good.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I love Asheville but The Biltmore is very expensive. There is some lovely hiking in the Asheville area but doesn't sound like that is an option.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

There is a little cafe in Nashville that is sort of off the beaten path called Bluebird cafe. It is a really cute venue and famous songwriters perform and tell stories there. Admission is only $10.
Don Shlitz is there next Friday. He is the guy who wrote "The Gambler" for Kenny Rogers and a bunch of other hits you may still know even if you aren't that in to country music. I saw him there a year ago and had a blast! His stories are hilarious.
http://www.bluebirdcafe.com/
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Try the Discovery Place right in the heart of Charlotte! Its an awesome museam that is kid friendly, but great for adults too!!

I'd sugesst Carowinds too, but if your guy has a bad back than a theme park with rollercoasters might be too much.

Try grabbing some brochures from local hotels for extra ideas, but the Discovery Place was my favorite place to go!
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #10  

Discovery Place sounds great. Will check that out for sure. Sounds a lot like the ROM and Science Center in Toronto.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

Height: 5'4"

The Bluebird is an AWESOME place to go to... it is a small place, but lots of famous song writers play there. I definitely second that reccomendation.

I also second Monell's and Jackson's! If it is a pretty day, the Jackson's patio is not to be missed. I love their Chicken Salad Wrap. :-) Monell's is a southern-cooking type place where you share a table with strangers. Definitely an experience, but I usually need a nap after all that heavy food!
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #12  

We're only going to be in Nashville overnight, and after driving we're going to order dinner in (we probably won't be all that hungry anyways, as we're having Easter at his Mom's before we head out of town), so sounds like Pancake Pantry it is for breakfast.