General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Am I the only one wondering if these women were really that skinny? I mean if they went to a plus size store it's likely that they would probably fit in some of the clothes. My guess is the chicks were 12-14s but in the other lady's eyes they were "skinny" and because they were fit into the smallest sizes at the stores the other chicks felt superior. Just a thought. I find it hard to think that grown adults would just hang out in that store and not buy anything and talk smack and not be kicked out.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:21 AM   #17  
Amazing Revelations

S/C/G: 272/ticker/161

Height: 5ft 7

niafabo im wondering the same thing.
the most popular plus size store here had a mjor overhaul recently, it went from selling drab 'older' styles to younger fashionable styles. since then a lot of women that are too skinny for the clothing go there just for the shoes, bags and accessories. the smallest clothing size they do is UK 14 (US 18 i think?)
MissSMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:58 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

UK 14 = US 12 i believe. which is the same size plus size start offering at out here too.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #19  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodoo613 View Post
Unless they actually said something hurtful, it's possible they were neither. I know I'm pretty sensitive about my size, and it's possible that the skinny girls had some legit reason for being there but your friend resented their infringement into territory she normally considers safe.

In my experience, people DO grow up and don't actively try to hurt other beyond high school.
My first thought was that their fat friend was trying on clothing. Second thought was that they were trying to buy something as a gift. Unless something was actually *said* to or about an individual, I'd guess the victim in question was just feeling insecure and overly sensitive.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #20  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Well, I've noticed something now that I've lost some weight. The people I used to think were "skinny" are not really. It used to irritate me when "skinny" people would complain to me about their weight. Now that I'm closer to their size, I understand.

It is entirely possible these women were not too skinny to be there. It's all a matter of perception. Of course, if they were really making fun of other people, then the management should have been alerted. That kind of behavior is inexcusable in adults.

To the question, I think no. They were not jealous of heavier women.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #21  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Jealous no, sorry but people don't usually get jealous over curves unless you have a J-Lo butt, I've always wanted her butt. Anyways I think they were just being jerks because it makes themselves feel good to be little other people, not because of jealous issues but because they are loser's and hate themselves more then anything and it makes them feel better about themselves.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I doubt it was because of jealousy. I think that is just a pacifying answer to help to make the person feel better. However, those women shouldn't have been making fun of people; they're grown. In any case, it is unfortunate for your friend that people are like that. But jealous? Probably not.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #23  
is chubby

Well I have two things to add

First I have a friend that is morbidly obese, still mobile though, who has a handsome boyfriend, a good job and seems to burst with self-esteem. I never heard her talk about diets either. My other friends and strangers talk awfully bad about her behind her back and it so happens most of them are less happy with their partners, jobs and lives. Jealousy CAN be a factor sometimes and weight the only thing you find to tease on the other person.

Secondly perhaps those women who bullied the heavier girl just giggled at something random or made one or two nasty, badly hushed comments. They might have been ashamed to be in a shop to buy baggy clothes for themselves and were happy to vent their shame on a heavier person. It is nonetheless pitiful, but not exactly as bad as deliberately stalking fatter people to tease. Many people can be *******s when nervous.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I wonder about the age of these "skinny people" , were they bored teenagers with nothing better to than to wander into a plus size shop out of curiosity ?
Teenagers can often come out with nasty remarks, do they think it is cute ? I don't know. Whatever the age it was very immature.

Last edited by bargoo; 04-18-2011 at 01:04 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodoo613 View Post
Unless they actually said something hurtful, it's possible they were neither. I know I'm pretty sensitive about my size, and it's possible that the skinny girls had some legit reason for being there but your friend resented their infringement into territory she normally considers safe.

In my experience, people DO grow up and don't actively try to hurt other beyond high school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
I think some people are paranoid and see offensive behavior where there isn't any. If the same person is always running across "offenders" then it's probably more in their heads than reality.

As for why people would do stuff like that? I read something recently about how bullying actually feels good to the bully. It makes them feel powerful, they get a laugh. If they're feeling bad, it feels good to bring someone down to their level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by niafabo View Post
Am I the only one wondering if these women were really that skinny? I mean if they went to a plus size store it's likely that they would probably fit in some of the clothes. My guess is the chicks were 12-14s but in the other lady's eyes they were "skinny" and because they were fit into the smallest sizes at the stores the other chicks felt superior. Just a thought. I find it hard to think that grown adults would just hang out in that store and not buy anything and talk smack and not be kicked out.
There are a lot of things at play here...for instance, I am wondering the ages of the supposed "skinny girls" who were in there, and also, what actually they did. At my highest weight I wore a size 2X/20W...and now I am down to anywhere between an 8-12 depending on the brand and how their sizing runs. There was a time where I was in that inbetween area, where I could wear the smallest size (14W) in Lane Bryant, and an XL (16-18 Misses) in the regular stores....so depending on what I needed, I could shop in both places. When I was in that area, as a size 14W, I might seem "skinny" to a woman who wears a size 3X...do you see what I mean? Just like right now, I might be able to wear a size medium, but girls who wear a size 4 or 6 look skinny to ME.

For a while, I was still wearing bras from Lane Bryant. For a time I was a 36D and a 36DD...even while wearing a L or XL in the Misses department. The bras at Lane Bryant were prettier and better made than what I was finding at Target, etc...so I bought them there, even after I was too small to wear the tops and pants there. A lot of plus sized shops carry awesome jewelry, purses, etc. as well...and another thing...I have large calves. I always have, and always will. 11 years of dancing has made them even more so...so I ALWAYS have to order boots from a plus sized catalog or website...ALWAYS. My calves don't fit into knee high boots anywhere else....so even now, at a medium...I still have to buy wide calf boots. I would hope that if I went into a plus sized shop, that the other customers would not view me as a "threat" and look at me like I didn't belong there. Hearing this almost makes me feel like I need to wear a sign saying "I used to weigh 233.9 pounds...I still need wide calf boots. I am not the enemy."
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote