General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #31  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola Celeste View Post
EZMONEY, you and I don't share the same faith, but as the very definition of Heaven involves a state of perfect happiness, that would surely mean having your goldens there. They're beautiful animals, aren't they?
YES and mine will be even more beautiful if it doesn't rain again tomorrow and Angie can get them in for their grooming ....right now they both are a little stinky!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 450/ticker/350

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
I have a soul and it is an immortal soul as I have a relationship with Jesus Christ and have the gift of the Holy Spirit in me.

Many of you will not understand the above comment as the Holy Spirit does not dwell in you and therefore you cannot understand what I know.

As humans we have the ability to accept or reject God's WORD....we have souls, created by Him. Our pets and other animals are not given that ability of free will.

Scripture is not clear on what happens to our pets at their death but it is clear that God loves them and has given them to us as gifts.

Be assured, when Christ comes again, we will no longer inflict pain upon them from our sin and they will not harm us!

I cannot even imagine being in Heaven without my golden retrievers but if I am it will be PERFECT!
cosign..
Old 04-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #33  
Walking by faith

Default Thank You!

Quote:
I have a soul and it is an immortal soul as I have a relationship with Jesus Christ and have the gift of the Holy Spirit in me.

Many of you will not understand the above comment as the Holy Spirit does not dwell in you and therefore you cannot understand what I know.

As humans we have the ability to accept or reject God's WORD....we have souls, created by Him. Our pets and other animals are not given that ability of free will.

Scripture is not clear on what happens to our pets at their death but it is clear that God loves them and has given them to us as gifts.

Be assured, when Christ comes again, we will no longer inflict pain upon them from our sin and they will not harm us!

I cannot even imagine being in Heaven without my golden retrievers but if I am it will be PERFECT!
I couldn't have said it better Gary! God's Word says that we can't even imagine the things that He has waiting for us. I'd like to think that all of our loved pets will be there to greet us. But then, if that's not so, the Bible says that God will wipe away all tears from our eyes. My dog is 14 years old, and not doing well. We'll probably be facing her death soon. She was definetely a gift from Him!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #34  
Happy Member

Quote:

Gary's post reminded me of a very favorite quote that fits right in with this discussion.

“Be thou comforted, little dog, Thou too in Resurrection shall have a little golden tail” -Martin Luther

Last edited by JoJoJo2; 04-08-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #35  
This is my year!

S/C/G: 291/252/150

Height: 5'4"

Smile Totally!

After several months of watching my daughter's cat (she moved and left him with us) deteriorate due to cancer, we finally had to put him down on March 14th .

I am a Christian and I found in the Bible where it states that animals do go to heaven. So, yes, they do have souls.

Kelli
Old 04-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #36  
Happy Member

Sorry about your daughter's cat. It is difficult to lose a beloved pet.

I'm curious, where in the Bible does it state that animals go to heaven?

Last edited by JoJoJo2; 04-08-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #37  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

No offense meant but just because something is in the bible makes it true or not. I can understand that people can base their beliefs of the universe on the bible though.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #38  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
No offense meant but just because something is in the bible makes it true or not. I can understand that people can base their beliefs of the universe on the bible though.
And no offense meant here back at'cha ex-neighbor and I assume you meant to add "doesn't make it true"....

That was part of my point in my earlier post...to believers of Christ the Bible is absolutely true....we KNOW this by the power of the HOLY SPIRIT

non-believers do not have that and simply cannot understand.

The gift of the Holy Spirit is a free gift to all who want it

It's hard sometimes to explain to people that do not have a personal relationship with Christ ...but simply put....believers "think" with their hearts when reading scripture...we are able to do this, not on our own accord, but because of what Christ did for us...and the gift of the HOLY SPIRIT that was given to us when we realized that God's WORD was TRUE

Last edited by EZMONEY; 04-08-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
No point trying to talk logic with bible thumpers. They will just say that it is the truth and the truth and nothing less whether the fact is even according to the modern bible the books were written by people and not "god" and large sections of the book have been taken out or edited to the point that their meaning has been completely changed. The best you can hope for is they say you are free to your own beliefs the worse they tell you, you are evil and will rott in ****.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 PM   #40  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It is all very philosophical but there are universal truths and beliefs, I figured we didn't want to devolve the thread into a comparison of interpretations of the bible and people stating beliefs as universal truths. And obviously, we are all friends here and can agree to disagree on many points.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #41  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I would far rather agree to disagree.

One of the things I really enjoy about this site is that even people with widely disparate views can find common ground. I'd rather look for the common ground and enjoy a picnic (with diet-friendly foods, of course!) with y'all there. I don't share EZ's faith, but I can sure see eye to eye with him on loving our pets.

I can't lump all the people of any faith together, including Christians. I wouldn't feel right about it, considering I don't do it with any other subset of the human race.

I even see some good in Atlanta Falcons fans, though I admit it's difficult.

To get back to the subject of pets for a little bit, I gave my feline guys and gal a couple of bites of plain turkey breast a little while ago. I am now their new best friend. I don't know about the status of their souls, but I know their hearts are right where their stomachs are.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:56 AM   #42  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola Celeste View Post
I would far rather agree to disagree.

One of the things I really enjoy about this site is that even people with widely disparate views can find common ground.
I can't lump all the people of any faith together, including Christians. I wouldn't feel right about it, considering I don't do it with any other subset of the human race.
This.

I often end up biting my tongue (fingers?) when it comes to religious conversation on these forums. While I thoroughly enjoy thought-provoking conversation, forum posts can easily be misinterpreted, and feelings are often unnecessarily hurt.

We are all here on a mutual battlefield, but do not assume that your personal ideologies (believer, non-believer, shuffleboard expert, whatever) should have any influence or relevance to anyone else. Voicing an opinion based on your core beliefs is one thing - trying to force that belief to be accepted or applicable is another. There is a Faith-Based sub-forum for a reason; I imagine that people looking for assistance based in religion can easily find it there.

...and that's where I'll leave that. *kicks away the soapbox instead of getting comfy*
Old 04-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Yep. That's exactly why we have a faith-based forum here -- as a way for people of faith to find support for weight loss around that faith. But we don't really allow debates about religion and politics here. This is a weight loss support forum, and support is an important part of our mission. It can be damaging to support to feel that one's important values are being diminished -- that goes for whatever one's spiritual and religious views are.

It's hard to have a conversation about souls without bringing in religious and spiritual beliefs.

But it should be reasonable to ask people not to assume that other people can or should or want to share their religious beliefs, or to somehow intimate that their religious beliefs are better than someone else's.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by P H A T View Post
No. I do not believe animals have souls. Animals are an important part of the world, they bring beauty & companionship as well as FOOD. But it is my belief that souls [in the religious sense] are possessed only by humans. Animals were not created in the image of God; people were.

If you say 'soul' as in personality, & life, then yes I believe they do, but not in the sense of the same way people do.
I agree
Old 04-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 172/170.0/140

Height: 5'7.5"

Has anyone ever read the James Herriot books? They start out with All Creatures Great and Small, and are autobiographical accounts of a country vet living in England before (and in later books, during and after) WWI. I ask because I can't remember what exact book the quote was in, but one of his stories profoundly affected me when I was small. It's about an elderly woman who loses a dog, and when she asks the vet if he believes that animals have souls, James answers, "If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

That sums it up for me.

On a side note, I lost my pet rat on Monday night, so I may be particularly sensitive to this, but I can't imagine a heaven without my pets. Heck, who else is gonna chase after tennis balls up there?
Closed Thread