General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #1  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

Default preparing for guests

flylady has some useful tips and detailed cleaning lists that are helpful. any other helpful hints? my inlaws are coming to visit in about 2 weeks. they may be sleeping here, in hotel or here, they'll prob. be here close to a week. also, any etiquette/manners would be helpful. i have a real problem chatting way too much.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'd be sure to give them some time to themselves (so you also have ample time to yourself), or as the saying goes, "fish and company stink after a few days" ... I tend to buy small flowers and put in our guestroom with some interesting magazines, a nightlight for them to use if needed, make sure there is a good reading light in the room, and purchase drinks that I know people prefer ... space for their clothes in a bureau/closet is always nice, but sometimes that's just not an option with some.

Good luck! Hopefully they'll be good guests and help you clean up from meals, chip in, etc.

I'd stick with your normal exercise routine, too, that way you give them some time to just "be" if needed.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think when a conversation turns into you are the only one talking and the other's are just like "uh huh, yeah yeah" and not much contribution then that means it's over.

I'm not sure what they are visiting for but I'd think you'd spend a good majority of the time together and I'd ask them their sleeping habits. If they sleep early then make an effort to be quiet at night if you sleep later.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

make sure you have extra towels, soap, toothpaste, and toilet paper.
stock up on food and drinks you know they like.
make sure you clean out some space for their clothes in the dresser and/or closet.
make sure the room is very clean with fresh sheets.
if you have an extra tv in the room write down some of the channels you know they like or get a list of all the channels.
have some reading materials handy.
if they are fun loving people board games and playing cards are great to have on hand.
just give them their space but at the same time let them know you appreciate them being there and that they can come to you if they need anything.
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #5  

No tips to offer as it seems you've gotten great ones so far. Just wanted to say that I bet you'll be a great hostess since you're already thinking about the comfort of your guests. And in-laws at that! Btw, chatty isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes it's what keeps the conversations going
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #6  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

i think it might be nice to have something ready for them when they arrive, like a light meal/snack. also, maybe having an activity or two planned ahead that they would enjoy (with or without you and your hubby) is a nice gesture as well.
other suggestions have been great!
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #7  
Reluctant Adult

katy trail... I'm told I'm a good hostess fairly often and I always seem to have people staying with me, so I'll share some things I think are important. You've already gotten some great advice, but here are a couple more little tips:

Make sure the guest bathroom has both tissues AND a wee trash can! I don't know how many times I've stayed at a friend's/relative's home and had one, the other or sometimes neither, but not both! Crazy, huh?

I always let guests know how I roll soon after they arrive. For example, I make sure to tell them to make themselves at home, poke through the fridge for whatever they like (I'm fine with that) and that I'll be preparing breakfast and/or dinner, but they should scrounge if they get peckish or want lunch while I'm busy doing something else. I leave teabags in a handy container out on the kitchen counter. And I think it's good to give them a quick overview of how to use the microwave, the tea kettle, where the glasses/cups/plates/silverware are, etc. That lets them understand you're seriously ok with them poking around -- if you are, that is!!

Sometimes I'll print up a little menu for the breakfast they can expect to enjoy and leave it on their pillows... sets the tone for the visit that they will be pampered and I consider them special. And I agree that fresh flowers are always a welcome touch.

Ask often if they are comfortable, make sure there are throws around they can wrap up in... older folks are often colder than we think. Make sure there is access to extra bedding for them at night in case they get cold. And extra pillows are appreciated as well.

As for chatting too much, well, they may be eager to hear every word you have to say! But just pay attention... you'll know if you're talking too much. And if so, it's easy to just ask a question and let them waffle on for awhile. They'll appreciate that, too!

Have fun -- that's the most important thing!!
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Everyone has given you great advice; much of what I was going to suggest has already been said A few other things I'd throw out for consideration are:

- having a luggage rack for each of them in the bedroom- for some reason this is something that's so important to me when I travel and I always make sure I have available for guests when they arrive.

- have around some board games or other party games in case talking each evening starts to get old. Maybe some classics (Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit), as well as some newer ones (depending on their interests- I LOVE Settlers of Catan, Cranium, and Taboo) that they haven't played. Various magazines and coffee table books that may suit their interests are also always good to have around to pass away a relaxing afternoon or evening.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #9  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

thanks for all the responses haven't had a chance to read them all yet, but someone asked about the reason for the visit. they are mostly here to visit their grandkids (my kids). so mostly i'm expected we'll be hanging out at home or the backyard.

still not sure they would actually sleep here, but there's plenty of room. if someone has an airbed they could sleep on that. in my daughter's room which is very roomy.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #10  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

If your in-laws end up deciding to stay at a hotel rather than at your home, you could put together a basket/bag of drinks, snacks and any other comfort items you think they'd like and/or would find convenient, and take it to the hotel (leave it with the front desk staff) before they arrive. If you know they'll have a refrigerator in their room, and know what time they'll arrive and can plan to drop off the package shortly before that, you can even include cold items like juice, yogurt, cheese, etc. It's nice to be welcomed with some items that they might need/want to shop for locally, especially if your guests aren't familiar with the area and so wouldn't know where to find the nearest grocery store, etc. I do this even for my parents when they're not staying at my house (despite them knowing where everything is around here by now), and fill it with things like a bottle of red wine, orange juice, bottled water, cheese and crackers, nuts, the cinnamon breakfast crisps I know my mom loves, low-sugar snacks for my dad, etc.

I hope you have a nice time during their visit!
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote