General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Angry Growin' a darn beard!!! Uugghh!!!

Facial hair sucks. I'm sitting here, plucking out these stubborn three little areas of hair on my face. Two on each side of my chin and one on the lower right side of my neck. Why???? It's like three little clusters of nastiness.

I want to try Vaniqua but I'm poor. Waxing is great, but I am embarrassed to grow the hairs out long enough for the wax to grab hold, ya know????

Losing weight so far has not helped. I need to go join the darn circus.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #2  
300+ Chick

I also dealing with Hirsutism (facial hair) ..I am shocked to hear since your weight loss, it has not changed. I shave daily.sometimes every 2 days,depending if am going out to do errands. You are not alone on this and wishing you all the best with your efforts..
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Weight loss has not helped my facial hair at all. It seems that once turned on, those follicles are not easily turned off. I used to mess with waxes and crap, but finally just said "To **** with it" and started shaving.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #4  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
Weight loss has not helped my facial hair at all. It seems that once turned on, those follicles are not easily turned off. I used to mess with waxes and crap, but finally just said "To **** with it" and started shaving.
Yeah, me too. I'd love to do electrolysis or something at some point, but I don't have the money for it right now. I hate shaving, but it's better than a beard and less painful and time consuming than plucking.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #5  
Jeri

Oh, and I wanted to add that I feel your pain! I wish I had an easy solution for you.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I pluck my chin hairs. I may just be a freak, but I find it relaxing, and I pluck them as soon as they sprout, it's really not so bad.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I completely understand your limited budget. However, saving up for electrolysis is definitely worth it! I've been hair free on my face/neck for years, after plucking (and getting ingrowns) since puberty. I'm getting my underarms done now and I love it.

Next to weight loss and exercise, electrolysis is one of the best things I've ever done for myself physically.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I'm in this boat. Shaving! Wheee!

Mine's a PCOS symptom. Have you been to the doc over it?

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

astrophe said what I wanted to say too!

This might be a genetic thing (depending on where your family history is from) or this could be a sign of something like PCOS if you haven't been diagnosed already.

There are drugs you can take that help and I've found that if I am balancing my hormones, it diminishes to normal levels. (Then I'm off balance and it comes back so it's not permanent unless the levels are permanently balanced!)
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #10  
Jeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMusic View Post
I completely understand your limited budget. However, saving up for electrolysis is definitely worth it! I've been hair free on my face/neck for years, after plucking (and getting ingrowns) since puberty. I'm getting my underarms done now and I love it.

Next to weight loss and exercise, electrolysis is one of the best things I've ever done for myself physically.
Jen, do you mind me asking about how much electrolysis cost you for the chin/neck area?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #11  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Me 3 on the PCOS. As I got my hormones and sugar levels in check it got better. If you have this issue and have not been checked for PCOS then please talk to the doc. If you do have PCOS and weight loss alone does not help with the hair then some insurance companies will cover drug therapies if you want. I knew one girl who even got electrolysis covered when the drugs didn't work for her either (not sure which company she had).
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 335/TICKER/180

Height: 5'8"

I have this too I hate it!!!
aasshhlleeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I had laser hair removal a few years ago. It was pricey but it was worth it. 5 or 6 years later, the hair has started to come back but it is much less than it was prior to the laser hair removal.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Oh my I am right there with you. I am so fed up with this and have been wanting to do something for a while - this thread has inspired me to book a consultation for laser or electrolysis!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Jen, do you mind me asking about how much electrolysis cost you for the chin/neck area?
Hmmm, it was a while back, so I really don't remember and think a guess could be wildly inaccurate. I started seeing her twice a week, then once a week, the twice a month, then once a month . . . as the follicles die, treatments get shorter and longer apart. So while there's an initial high cost, it does get better over time.

The person I'm seeing now (I moved, so am seeing a new person) charges $90 for 60 minutes and $60 for 30 minutes. She is, I'm sure, more expensive than my last person, but I'm in a bigger city now. Also, she's really, really good. Very professional, clean, experienced, and knows her stuff. In my mind, I can't put a price on that. Worth every penny.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote